How Long Does Our Car Battery Last?

headache

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
I've started a thread in DIY section on how to extend your batter life. Take a look.
Sigh. :( Nowadays, most M'sian made battery manufacturer cut cost by reducing the amount of lead in the plates and thus shortening the lifespan. Best way to check is to weigh it with the same power rating (AH) of different brands.
Having said that, there are other factors that causes premature failure, too. Some of them are: undercharging and overcharging. Leaving your ICE and lights on while the engine is off. Alarm makan electricity, etc.
Best way to check is to send to a COMPETENT electrician to thoroughly give it a once-over.
A quickie DIY method to check for charging or not is to remove one of our battery terminal when your car has already started. If the engine dies, your alternator got problem, liau.
Good luck!

palabanas

Aug 3, 2004
bought mine from makro, NAPA brand more than a year already still ok (so far). it's cheap though, but you have to pour the acid yourself (be very very careful! take extra caution!).

went to a friends workshop last weekend, saw a wira ab (gsr) partly burnt. the mechanic said that the battery exploded and quickly ignite the fire. luckily the fella was about to park his car and there was IWK guys cleaning 'longkang'. they spray it with the water jet and bomba came far too late to see the fire. the mechanic said it was maintenance free battery, maybe it's overheated. it's hard to determine the cause not until they send it to CSI.

nicteh

Known Member
Jan 27, 2005
KL
currently using delkor MF ns70, so far so good.................
but i heard yokohama wet battery will harm your car bonnet, because the asid leaking... better go for MF battery, more easier to check. especially for girl...

4G56

Sep 29, 2005
batt died

my car battery 4 months kong already........century
me using iswara LMST
change battery now........da batt light still comes on the meter panel when i start engine....but when rev above 2000rpm, the light dissapears......but when it goes belw 2000 rpm, the light appears...anyne can help me out on this?

mugan shan

Jun 27, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
my car battery just changed 2days ago........yokohama
me using iswara
the battery light comes on early morning start and after a long time like 6hrs, on the meter panel when i start engine....but when rev above 2000rpm, the light dissapears......after driving and start between few mins its ok....can anyone help me with this

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
my car battery just changed 2days ago........yokohama
me using iswara
the battery light comes on early morning start and after a long time like 6hrs, on the meter panel when i start engine....but when rev above 2000rpm, the light dissapears......after driving and start between few mins its ok....can anyone help me with this
Probably your alternator starting to give problem. Please send for check...

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
a quality car battery would last at least 1 year and as long as 3 years.
try to get a branded one like yokohama. just my opinion :o
Can a battery actually last up to 3 years? My battery usually lasts 1.5 to nearly 2 years but never 2+ years.

I drive a Nissan Grand Livina and it has a unique battery weakness indicator. If the battery needs changing, the auto door lock starts to act up, like the locked doors unlocking by themselves when I start my car engine. That's when I know it's time to change battery. Are other cars like this too?

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Can a battery actually last up to 3 years? My battery usually lasts 1.5 to nearly 2 years but never 2+ years.

I drive a Nissan Grand Livina and it has a unique battery weakness indicator. If the battery needs changing, the auto door lock starts to act up, like the locked doors unlocking by themselves when I start my car engine. That's when I know it's time to change battery. Are other cars like this too?
To answer your q's, yes a battery can last up to 10 years old on a merc or BMW...if not mistaken, its due to their so call current management where the ECU control the alternator & everything else so that the battery receives correct amount of charging & supplying correct current....some even experienced their battery last up to 12 years old....correct me if i'm wrong...

My car battery age currently bout 3+ years with no sign of dying :biggrin:

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
To answer your q's, yes a battery can last up to 10 years old on a merc or BMW...if not mistaken, its due to their so call current management where the ECU control the alternator & everything else so that the battery receives correct amount of charging & supplying correct current....some even experienced their battery last up to 12 years old....correct me if i'm wrong...

My car battery age currently bout 3+ years with no sign of dying :biggrin:
Respect.

mugan shan

Jun 27, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
yes bro vr2turbo....anything i can help

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

owh now i get it.....i replied the same thread because dont want to open a new tread.....because it was the same issue...that is the reason...if it is wrong sorry i wont repeat it

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yes bro vr2turbo....anything i can help

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

owh now i get it.....i replied the same thread because dont want to open a new tread.....because it was the same issue...that is the reason...if it is wrong sorry i wont repeat it
I think should not be a problem if on topic, but you can always open new one...ha! ha!:biggrin:

mugan shan

Jun 27, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
owh ok thanks alot....i just want to ask about the alternator....the light is still showing on every morning start...is it the alternator problem or any wiring problem

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
owh ok thanks alot....i just want to ask about the alternator....the light is still showing on every morning start...is it the alternator problem or any wiring problem
Better send for check with mechanic or wire man, since not charging when cold...

blackend

Known Member
Aug 5, 2008
Johore,
normally my car battery less than 2 years.never last up to 3 year.not bad for old car user like me..

mugan shan

Jun 27, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
i have already pull out the alarm....went to wireman at kl....he checked everything...ask all the concecuance question....i answered him truly....and he said he aso dunno what is wrong bro

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The upcoming 2012 BMW M6 Coupe (F12) has been creating quite a buzz on the internet, and while the M variant of the new 6-series is still some ways away, some graphic designers are already coming up with their best guess of how the new M could look like.

These rendered images were posted on bimmerboost.com and takes its cue from the BMW Concept 6 Series Coupe which BMW will be premiering at the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience