How lean is lean?

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys, recently I was comparing a few dyno charts and one of them had an AFR of 13.5 low end around 2k to 3k rpm. I'm a noob but how lean is too lean? And how far can we go? Thank you!

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Oh, so theoretically max power is made at AFR 12.6? I'm confused, some tuning articles that I've read mention that more power can be made since factory tuning is rich..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Oh, so theoretically max power is made at AFR 12.6? I'm confused, some tuning articles that I've read mention that more power can be made since factory tuning is rich..
that depend on which factory tuning...i suspect saying that was applicable for american cars with carbies... :adore:

well like example of newer generation proton (campro+siemens ecu) mostlikely the tuning was on the very edge of lean...i've read somebody wrote that he dynoed a stock campro car with 16:1 afr....

most boosted ride would opt for richer 13:1 afr at WOT in order to gain highest power and keeping the engine part such as piston and turbine cool enough..(too lean could result catastrophic piston/valve/turbo failure)

if daily tuned ride i would say 14:7 afr was among the best and safer choice...which balance the fc and temperature....

bo093

Jul 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
if daily tuned ride i would say 14:7 afr was among the best and safer choice...which balance the fc and temperature....
Not just balance FC & temperature, but you are burning nearly all the fuel.
Therefore, not wasting fuel to be unburned.
Even though we have catalytic converter to burn unburned fuel.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Not just balance FC & temperature, but you are burning nearly all the fuel.
Therefore, not wasting fuel to be unburned.
Even though we have catalytic converter to burn unburned fuel.
cat con only convert harmful gasses to environmental-friendly gasses :wink:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Well in charged engine, u need 10-11 to compensate knock, in Malaysia fuel quality is so bad. 13 will definitely knock like hell n timing will need to be super low(this all depend on boost, compression, ron used). 14.7 is the ideal afr, but cruise can go for 15.7 to save some fuel.

For N/A 12.5 makes the best balance of power n torque, idle 14.7, cruise 15.7.

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
Well in charged engine, u need 10-11 to compensate knock, in Malaysia fuel quality is so bad. 13 will definitely knock like hell n timing will need to be super low(this all depend on boost, compression, ron used). 14.7 is the ideal afr, but cruise can go for 15.7 to save some fuel.

For N/A 12.5 makes the best balance of power n torque, idle 14.7, cruise 15.7.
gud info bro........................

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Also, factory tune is rich for a reason. If they set it 'just right', then sometimes at higher revs or at certain conditions you'll run lean or very lean. Lean is bad. Better to waste some fuel than to have your engine cook itself.

YeS_No

Known Member
Mar 11, 2008
Hye, i just wanna share some experiment & little info to all zth forumer..I've been using Wideband for a while, its brand Innovate and have tested to my car and other's is my friends car which is Honda FD (Mine) / Swift (Mine)/ Inspira / Saga FLX / Satria 4g91 Carbie in standard stock Factory, the result is..

Honda FD - Partial Open Throttle 14.7, Wide Open Throttle 11.5
Swift - POT 14.7 , WOT 11.5
Inspira - POT 14.7 , WOT 11.5
Saga FLX - POT 14.7, WOT 12.3
Satria 4g91 Carbie - POT 12.5, WOT 11

The conclusion is Factory Setting would be around 11~11.5 AFR and its rich condition, with ecu management such piggyback / reflash / Stand alone will trim WOT until 12.5~12.8 for N.A and 11~11.5 for TC or SC. I was very impressed because wideband reading for saga 1.3 FLX already nice and suit for best torque. For carberator fuel system it seems a little wasteful at cruising /low rpm since the reading much higher than other new injection car. Thats the benefit of injection system since its control by ECU management. Just for sharing :rolleyes:

Here are some schedule thats i always refer for self tuning...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
my levin smells rich. mayb i should invest on a piggyback..

:biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey all sifu out there... pls guide me... i got a HID set 8000k... i installed it in my proton wira... It works... but de problem is the light on de driver side is brighter than passenger side... but when i install de HID into kancil, there is no problem.. Then i installed it into my fren's wira.. same thing happened.. driver side brighter, passenger side dimmer... WHY IS TIS HAPPENING????!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience