help reading out spark plug condition

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
hi,

i recently serviced my car and asked the mech to take out the spark plug to see the condition of it,

below is the pic:

it looks like its in healthy condition judging by the light gray deposit but the cracks look like i have been experiencing detonation

any help?

crazykatak

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2006
Subang Jaya
hmm..does not look very healthy..
a healthy one should be brownish at the ceramic and the electrode,which suggest good AFR condition.

btw, when was the last plug change ?

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
looks like running a bit lean.. normal lo..

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
hmm..does not look very healthy..
a healthy one should be brownish at the ceramic and the electrode,which suggest good AFR condition.

btw, when was the last plug change ?
the plug has been in for 15k, its an iridium

i would say the plug is burning too hot......

you need a colder plug.........

any sifu wanna comment ?
thx for that. ive been thinking of using colder plug too

i have 2mm oversized piston fitted in, exhaust mod, oem airbox and filter and CAI. is the mod enough to cause lean af?

is leaning of af is what causes the plug to burn too hot?

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
hi,

i recently serviced my car and asked the mech to take out the spark plug to see the condition of it,

below is the pic:

it looks like its in healthy condition judging by the light gray deposit but the cracks look like i have been experiencing detonation

any help?
I would need a very close up picture of the plug in order to tell. use a digital camera in macro mode and take the picture of the centre electrode and porcelain. Like this picture here and the same angle as well.

From the picture I can't see any cracks. If there are cracks in the porcelain its definitely running too hot. What car is it in and what plug code is that. From the picture it looks like the car is running abit lean. Can you hear actual detonation on the car? Looking at this plug I would go one step colder and see how it goes. If it looks ok then I would stop there if not I would even try 2 steps colder depending on the look of the plug, driving style, type of car/engine and mods.

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The plugs show that your engine are running lean ...

I been experience with Plug Condition Vs AFR for countless of time .... this is just fairly lean and should not causing any detonation but will certainly do harm to the combustion chamber/piston dome .... if you have a AFPR,adjust to increase the fuel pressure and try it out ~

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Too lean (diy) , not enough burning...you need richer AF mixture. FC would be good but power might optimum

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

They say all good things must come to an end, and when it came down to the US F1 team, it was the rare case of the end coming before the beginning. There were drum rolls in anticipation of the raise of a American Formula One team, something that many were looking forward to. But as big of a bang they created when announcing their contention, the USF1 went out with nothing more than a whimper. There has been no...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience