Help needed: Meter

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Hi all,

I plan to buy some meter, it all started because of the stupid battery, get flat easily, A volt meter is a must.

I'm thinking to get 3 meter in a row. Any suggestion you guys can give?

1. Volt meter
2. ?
3. ?

i like Defi (who don't like Defi leh), but it's way too expensive for me, any alternative meter brand with black background?

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
hmmmm.. bro suggest u get branded la.. 2nd 3rd hand oso can!

u get hmmm..

1) volt meter
2) water temp
3) oil temp
4) fuel pressure

hehehe

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
mrbear,

where got 2nd 3rd hand meter leh, unless stolen item, which is not what i want.
(or you have lobang?). hahaha

any other suggestion, guys?

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
BlackSamurai said:
mrbear,

where got 2nd 3rd hand meter leh, unless stolen item, which is not what i want.
(or you have lobang?). hahaha

any other suggestion, guys?
got la.. branded!.. not stolen!.. where i got lobang ma.. heheh
actually i just bought HKS temp/oil gauge. with sensors. 60mm. the latest b4 EL light. for RM100. i was shock coz its so cheap. coz normally 2nd would cost RM350-450 at least. coz market price is around 5xx 6xx 7xx 8xx for each.

im waiting for next next HKS gauge.

if my HKS is stolen. i dont think the sensors is attach together. coz oil/water temp. the sensors is steel n braided inside n cannot pull out. some more the sensors is fix to engine or radiator or any place on engine. then thru firewall.

heheh.. i try ask later 4u.. branded! more accurate! good!

i think this guy dealer/runner aar.. always get cheap2 item. fren fren..

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
thank, mrbear.

actually my car is NA, i'm not sure water temp, oil temp is important for me.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Mr bear,
That is some good price you got there. I wonder you could do some contribution to we forummers here by getting us some nice meters with cheap price? hehe

BS,
my advise will be getting oil pressure and water temp. fuel pressure will be optional. Why? because if you would later do some modding to the engine such as installing an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, it usually comes with meter. (SARD will be the choice, I'm using one right now). That will save you some bucks.

Oil pressure meter will tell you its time or not to change your engine oil which is important. Water temp will be good to let you know whether there is any clogging in your radiator or cooling efficiency (variance of temp reading during driving).

Volt meter is pretty useless as it always stand reading between 11 to 14. If you were to install some nice ice later, get a fuse with meter or install a capacitor and both will tell you your current volt reading start or without starting engine on your battery. This is how I found out that my relay is actually giving me the starting problem.

Its my 2 cents worth. Hope you find it useful.

p.s : I am actually hunting around now for oil pressure and water temp meter. Just having hard time finding adaptor to match the sensors.

:_:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Ace, thanks for the great input!!
It will be good if we can find a website that explain all the functionality of differente meter.

i need the volt meter badly, my battery get flat easily! i need to find a way to monitor it.

i'm broke this month, pink bomb season, friends wanna get married before 7th month at lunar calender. :biggrin:

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
ACE: thanx. i would source out meters if i got. not worry not stolen. i make sure the meters got the serial number.

* u got problem finding which adaptor? for water temp? coz i afraid cannot screw up my sensors with adaptor. i think need the NPT nut. later i go sunway n find the adaptor n etc2. i really need to fix water temp meter.

BlackSamurai: actually for my car which use water temp n oil level electronic gauge,its hard for me to see the accurate readings. now my car temp level sometimes high. thats y i need water temp gauge coz everything inside my car is electronic. its hard to examine if anything happens,hehehe

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
mrbear, hope that you can find it. :biggrin:

1 more question, any different between installing meter in korean car and others (jap/ continental)?

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
BlackSamurai said:
mrbear, hope that you can find it. :biggrin: =hopefully la bro.. post pic later! DIY on the way.

1 more question, any different between installing meter in korean car and others (jap/ continental)?
hmm installing meter in korean cars n others japs/contines.. err.. it depends on what car actually. but as i know i think not suitable or else.. is like mercedes benz.. slk.. put defi meter.. hehehehehe.. a bit funny bro!

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
mr bear,
Actually water temp sensor quite easily to DIY. what people does is that they buy a new hose for the radiator the upper part and also buy the interconnect with an inlet screw in type for the sensor (forget what it is called). Run wire into the cabin and power it up. Wa lah...

As for the oil pressure, have to find adaptor for the oil filter first. The adaptor capable of connecting oil cooler, oil temp as well. Just don't know which type. I think the best way is bring our engine oil filter and show it to the shop.

Oh..another problem is...$$$ sign....

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
ACE: thank for the info. actually my problem is. im using HKS Water/Oil temp. this gauge is the 2nd b4 the latest EL light. sold about 450 a piece at N1.

what i can say n from my research 1 by 1 face 2 face is that. the latest meters + sensors or ciken brand is. their sensors (inside steel braided) comes with nut + the sensors already got the screw type off nut so u can screw n fix at the water temp adaptor.

in market got 2 types of water adaptors with different sizes n colors. 1 is Arospeed (range RM60-65) n other is GREDDY (RM140 each). both looks the same. not much different only brand.

latest meters can just screw it to the adaptor. (Cut 1 radiator hose to 2pieces. fix the adaptor in the middle,screw the sensors) walla cun.

but my HKS sensors (steel braided).. with only NUTS. not bolts/screw type. i need to find NPT NUT? they called it like that. found few,but cannot fit the sensors in the middle.

do u have ideas? my last options is,to WELDING the sensors n the adaptor together. (will use it forever,cannot remove n sell back) heheh.. is it good suggestion?

as for OIL TEMP or Oil Pressure. normall u can just welding or drill hole,fit nut with the sensors to ur OIL PAN or else get the SANDWICH PLATE to fix at ur oil filter (RM300)

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
drill hole???! looks like meter is far more complex than i thought of.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
bro ace, im looking for water temp meter as well, if u could get 1 which is rm 100 would be good. if can branded one i dont really care if its an old model