Help needed for FM222 gearbox

edwardgth

Known Member
Feb 20, 2007
Hi Sifus,

I need help in trying to pinpoint a problem I have with the gearbox that I've purchased recently. When I tested the gearbox on the owner's car, there wasn't any sound or problems with it. The nightmare began when the gearbox was taken out of the owner's car and fitted to mine.

When in gear at around 3k rpm, if the gas peddle is not pressed, there is a loud metal against another metal sound. This sound would disappear when either the accelerator is stepped on or if I depress the clutch slightly. Until now, I'm unable to determine the source of the problem and I have changed the gearbox bearing but the problem still persist.

A few weeks ago, a new problem cropped up. The gear lever would have this stuck feeling whenever I'm changing from 2nd gear to 3rd or the other way around. I've changed the gear lever bushings and the problems is minimized but it is not entirely gone. There was a few occasions where you could feel the gear lever being isolated to the 3rd & 4th gear region and it is unable to move to either engage to 1st, 2nd or 5th, Reverse.

Thank you for taking the time to look through and reply.
Edward

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
bro, some say fm222 gbox is from 1.6...some say 1.8, im not so sure myself....but the pick up/response is better compared to 232 from eterna 1.8 or 2.0...confused now.....anyways if the gbox has gear shifting issues, i suggest u service the valve body....
remember to add an ATF cooler while u at it.

edwardgth

Known Member
Feb 20, 2007
Bro,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I failed to mentioned that the g/b is manual and not auto. I've just converted my auto g/b to manual in January as my auto tranny had some issues.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
icic hehe....happened to me before, the problem cos water somehow entered my gearbox & mixed with oil....after flush it out problem solved....

but now im also experiencing the same problem as u....cos its my gear lever....
im using vr4 short shifter...so abit difficult when shifting gears, also abit ketat.....

edwardgth

Known Member
Feb 20, 2007
when i got the short shifter, it was ok. It was after a month or so that this cropped up. I noticed that there are traces of water in the gb during the first oil change @ 5000km service but I don't know if it is still there. Will have to get them to drain the tranny fluid this coming 5k service. :)

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
u also using short shifter?
its common i think....abit difficult to engage gears.....
better do it immediately to prevent any gbox damage...better change your oil drain plug as well.....both of it. up & down.

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
for ur first prob... could it be the gb u using is those 4wd gearbox where they lock to run 2wd...?? if yes... then its common....

edwardgth

Known Member
Feb 20, 2007
Hi calvin9683,

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately, it is a Satria GTI GB and it is meant for 2wd. I've been asking around and the only answer I get is that the GB is faulty. Within a span of 2 days from my testing the GB in the seller's car and installing it in mine, the difference is pretty huge in terms of the noise that the gearbox is emitting.

Edward

edwardgth

Known Member
Feb 20, 2007
Still the same bro. changed the bushing to the shifter and it is slightly smoother than before.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
FM222 was 1.6 gearbox if not mistaken rite?? :adore:

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya
this happened to me too. last year.
my 2nd v6 auto gearbox which is in excellent condition was sold to a fella.
in the span of 1 week (the fella delay in installing the gb) from which the gb was taken out from my car to installing it to the fella's car, the gb rosak..
suwey la.. hahah...

what happen i dono.
he's mechanic install it wrong or his car wiring is crazy or sudah nasib...