[HELP] Car Floor Vibrate After New Set Rim + Tyre + Lowered Spring

Ken Onn

From Facebook
Sep 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
Hi all sifu !
Currently I driving a 2010 myvi, last month i just trade in my stock rim for a new set 15' rim. After the new set rim i found out that my car vibrate + shaking alot, so i send for tyre shop to do some service on my car. But the vibrate problem still there ! any sifu can help ?!

What I Change :
- Lowered Spring ( new ! without changing the absorber, 2 finger left after lowered )
- New 15' inch sport rim with 4 pieces new continental cc5 tyres.

What I Did After New Rim :
-2 times off wheel balancing ( done in different tyre shop )
-2 times balancing ( done in different tyre shop as well )
-allightment
-add on 4 pieces new center cone
-new driveshaft due to bent already ( change the whole batang )

Result ?
Car floor vibrate after 40km/h and keep on coming if i step more on d gas pedal !
*Steering vibrate as well, but just a little bit. ( previously before do off wheel balancing, steering vibrate alot but better after off wheel bal )

Do lowered spring or the tyres cause floor vibrate ?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Last time my friend changed to a cheaper tyre, car vibrate when reach 80 km/h. Then they found out the tyre is uneven. Got bumps on the sidewall.

I think the best way is you backtrack. Change back to stock parts one by one and see where is the prob.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The problem is previous rims already traded in, unless a friend can swap to him for trial.....:biggrin:

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
I had similar problems when I traded my stock rims for a set of Advan replica. On my way home, immediately I felt vibrations from the steering and floor. At first I thought it was a balancing issue not done properly by the tire shop so I went around in hopes of a tire sifu to solve this once and for all.

Finally I found a shop that also offered on-wheel balancing and that solved it. Off-wheel balancing couldn't solve it as the machine couldn't spin it at higher speeds therefore the machine will not really show there's a problem but one thing is for sure that the foreman said even on the machine, it was very difficult to get the balancing to near perfect.

Conclusion, as it was a set of replica rims, he suspected that the spokes on my rims had very different weight on each of it causing the tire to be unable to be balanced properly. I settled for on-wheel balancing as a temporary solution, when I had enough budget I changed to a set of original Sparco rims and balancing the tires were so easy since then.

If a proper balancing can't solve your problem, I'd suggest looking at the tires and if tires are in perfect condition then it could be your rims. It doesn't need to have dents, it could look perfect but perhaps some part of it have different weight which can cause the balancing to be off.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If only weight issue then usually can be offset by balancing. Balancing for tyres are actually countering the weight issue. When tyres are manufactured it could be heavy on one end therefore weight is added to the rims to counter weight it, therefore if the rims are out of weight too it will be added on, and if both tyre and rim off weight are set together the weight needed will be very high. Once you get that, you will see the tyre shop personnel deflate the tyres then switch them 180 degree and then pump them up again and continue with the balancing. Usually will bring the weight down. If still cannot, then the tyres should be change and balncing tried again.

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
If only weight issue then usually can be offset by balancing. Balancing for tyres are actually countering the weight issue. When tyres are manufactured it could be heavy on one end therefore weight is added to the rims to counter weight it, therefore if the rims are out of weight too it will be added on, and if both tyre and rim off weight are set together the weight needed will be very high. Once you get that, you will see the tyre shop personnel deflate the tyres then switch them 180 degree and then pump them up again and continue with the balancing. Usually will bring the weight down. If still cannot, then the tyres should be change and balncing tried again.
I see bro. So if on-wheel balancing can solve what off-wheel balancing can't, there's a defect somewhere is it?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I see bro. So if on-wheel balancing can solve what off-wheel balancing can't, there's a defect somewhere is it?
Off wheel balancing can also be good, provided the machine is accurate. Balancing out sometimes due to wheels off center, like after market rims center bore not fitting to car center hub perfectly. I had this issue in both my Mitsu VR4 and Hyundai Sonata III. My usual tyre shop will try to centralized the wheel every time he fit the tyres for me, and when that don't work it is on wheel balancing.
But on wheel also have disadvantage. If you remove your wheels for any repairs etc., the balancing may run again, even though you may have marked the lug holes.
Advantage is this balance everything including the shaft etc.,
To overcome this I had the center ring or hub ring fitted. This ring will fill the space between the rim and hub, thereby giving perfect fit. I have no issues on balancing ever since even with off wheel balancing.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Off wheel balancing can also be good, provided the machine is accurate. Balancing out sometimes due to wheels off center, like after market rims center bore not fitting to car center hub perfectly. I had this issue in both my Mitsu VR4 and Hyundai Sonata III. My usual tyre shop will try to centralized the wheel every time he fit the tyres for me, and when that don't work it is on wheel balancing.
But on wheel also have disadvantage. If you remove your wheels for any repairs etc., the balancing may run again, even though you may have marked the lug holes.
Advantage is this balance everything including the shaft etc.,
To overcome this I had the center ring or hub ring fitted. This ring will fill the space between the rim and hub, thereby giving perfect fit. I have no issues on balancing ever since even with off wheel balancing.
Yes, I also have a set of hub ring fitted into my rims so that it will fit snuggly.
I also prefer the on-wheel finish balancing since it balances everything so it's more accruate in that sense. Many times when doing normal off-wheel balancing, vibration is not completely gone at higher speeds. The chance of removing wheel and throw off the balance are also not so often anyway.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes, I also have a set of hub ring fitted into my rims so that it will fit snuggly.
I also prefer the on-wheel finish balancing since it balances everything so it's more accruate in that sense. Many times when doing normal off-wheel balancing, vibration is not completely gone at higher speeds. The chance of removing wheel and throw off the balance are also not so often anyway.
Mine old car, so brakes service, pad change, gear box repair, steering arm, lower arm, etc., sometimes the repairs one comes after another.....so still prefer off wheel balancing......:biggrin:

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
off wheel balancing? what's the different with normal wheel balancing?
Off-wheel balancing is the common method or as you would like to call it the normal wheel balancing. Off-wheel is where they take your wheels out and place it on the machine to perform the balancing. This is the most cost effective method for balancing.

On-wheel balancing on the other hand is done without the need of removing the tires. They have this machine (looks like a mini-car that they sit on) that can spin your wheel at high speeds and they will perform the balancing from there.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Off-wheel balancing is the common method or as you would like to call it the normal wheel balancing. Off-wheel is where they take your wheels out and place it on the machine to perform the balancing. This is the most cost effective method for balancing.

On-wheel balancing on the other hand is done without the need of removing the tires. They have this machine (looks like a mini-car that they sit on) that can spin your wheel at high speeds and they will perform the balancing from there.
If FWD, some even use the engine to run the wheels......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

2007 was a disastrous year for Team Mclaren-Mercedes and Ron Dennis, no driver’s championship, being kicked out of the constructors’ title and a $100 million fine. To add salt to the wound, double world champion, Fernando Alonso walked away from the team; a direct result of amateurish crisis management. These events have resulted in engine partner Mercedes having to swallow a bitter pill and now they are looking...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience