Head gasket leaking...

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
guys...i think my head gasket is leaking just behind the extractor...

should i get a 0.4mm spoon header gasket and at the same time do a port n polish while the head is out to replace the gasket? driving an auto b16a...any thing i should look out n any estimated $$$ for the above repairs?

kopking10

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
what about mugen head gasket? whether to port n polish or not im nt so sure but it is recommended to get ARP bolts holds much better and can be reuse...did mine few years back..

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
kopking...wat r the benefits of using ARP bolts? wats the estimated pricing la?

specs as i found off the net...

Brand : MUGEN
Product: Metal Head Gasket
Part Num: 12251-XK5-0000 (DC5,EP3)
Part Num: 12251-XJ1-0000 (DC2,DB8,EK9,EG2,EG6,EG9,EK4)

SPECIFICATIONS:
Average Installation Time: 6.9h
Material: Metal.
Thickness: 0.5mm.

a little blur cos i not so knowledgeable about engine stuff...the port n polish i was just thinking of doing since the head is going to come off...y not just do it in 1 go...same as re-spraying the cam cover n polishing the intake manifold...plan to do all this nex month after gaji since i expect will cost me a bomb...will most prolly spend whole day at the workshop helping the guy work on my car...at least can get some hands on exp with somebody who knows what hes doing.

another thing...i've been having knocking problems since i had my dizy changed to a recond unit...wont using either a spoon or mugen cause more knocking since there's going to be a higher compression?

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if not mistaken most aftermarket head bolts do have bigger diameter and slightly different threads to hold head and block better (can withstand higher compression since it can be tighten with higher torque)....

and it can be considered as a preparation to build a high performance engine.....(N/A and forced induction)

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
well...the car's in the shop now. decided not to go for a thinner set of head gasket but the original thickness due to the knocking problem i'm still having...

list of work to be done:
-replace head gasket
-replace water pump
-replace timing belt
-replace extractor/intake gaskets
-clean all the pistons n block from carbon deposits
-clean the intake manifold
-replace spark plugs to ngk g-power(rated 6)
-head port n polish

all of the above i've been quoted at above 1kk as the porting n polishing of the head is still in progress...what do u guys think of the price?

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
keep us update k bro for reference :burnout:
do tell us also the improvement after head & polishing head :biggrin:

rakyat

Known Member
Apr 7, 2009
well...the car's in the shop now. decided not to go for a thinner set of head gasket but the original thickness due to the knocking problem i'm still having...

list of work to be done:
-replace head gasket
-replace water pump
-replace timing belt
-replace extractor/intake gaskets
-clean all the pistons n block from carbon deposits
-clean the intake manifold
-replace spark plugs to ngk g-power(rated 6)
-head port n polish

all of the above i've been quoted at above 1kk as the porting n polishing of the head is still in progress...what do u guys think of the price?
RM1k or USD1k??? In KL PnP oso RM1.5k oredi, top overhaul another RM1+K. I think if done in PJ/Sunway/KL USD1k oso not enuf

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Shah...baby still not out yet la...damn miss her. i really hope can come out tomorrow.

Rakyat....no top over haul...the guy say all still chun chun. is RM. the guy quoted me tentative only...still dunno end price. but he say should be a little over RM1k la. means is damn cheap? hmmmm....

rakyat

Known Member
Apr 7, 2009
Shah...baby still not out yet la...damn miss her. i really hope can come out tomorrow.

Rakyat....no top over haul...the guy say all still chun chun. is RM. the guy quoted me tentative only...still dunno end price. but he say should be a little over RM1k la. means is damn cheap? hmmmm....
Ehhh buka head, change gasket, clean carbon = top overhaul-la.

How is the PnP done? W/Shop got skimming/grinding machine & flow-bench?

Hey ur operation is very major-la (PnP, semi-Top overhaul & change timing belt), give the mech more time-la

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
1k?? cheappppppp...!! u sure ah bro? i think u better confirm with your foremen if not later u get heart attack when the bill arrives..

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
yer lo bro....for me its kinda too cheap for the work tat u've listed.....
but if really is oni 1k then congrats bro u r really lucky:burnout:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
just came back from the shop. head's back on. no more leaks - yay! still have tappet sounds but will get that fixed later. 1 big problem tho...idle rpm stuck at 1.5k minimum...adjust TPS sensor a little lower n idle like hi-cam. WTH...throttle body and intake manifold all cleaned. mech says no leaks in all the vaccum hoses. suspects it is due to damaged valve seals(white smoke from exhaust). he'll be sending it for an operation he says. he explained he'll take off the top cover n blow the valve seals out. all 16 of it. anybody has any idea on this? i've also sent it for a diagnostic but no error came up. the guy said he cant tune the idle down cos it was revving between 1k and 1.6k during idle but first test-drive shows the throttle a lot lighter and it picks up at mid 3k rpm faster and lighter than it used to.

Rakyat...thanks for the lesson..heheheh i never done a top overhaul before so i didnt know that the jobs i listed is a top overhaul hehheh. the porting job was outsourced. he sent it to a machine shop that does porting for all engines in the Johor area...i heard him mentioning it somewhere near goodhope hotel. he assures me this shop is used to doing porting and he's sent 3 other B16as there for porting n all 3 came back OK. not sure bout the flowbench tho. actualy, its the 3rd week the car is in the shop. he promised me it will be done by 1 week...

arrowhead...not 1k la hehehe...he said more than 1k...i budget at least 1.6k loh. maybe special price for me cos i recommend a lot of ppl to him?:driver:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
just came back from the shop. head's back on. no more leaks - yay! still have tappet sounds but will get that fixed later. 1 big problem tho...idle rpm stuck at 1.5k minimum...adjust TPS sensor a little lower n idle like hi-cam. WTH...throttle body and intake manifold all cleaned. mech says no leaks in all the vaccum hoses. suspects it is due to damaged valve seals(white smoke from exhaust). he'll be sending it for an operation he says. he explained he'll take off the top cover n blow the valve seals out. all 16 of it. anybody has any idea on this? i've also sent it for a diagnostic but no error came up. the guy said he cant tune the idle down cos it was revving between 1k and 1.6k during idle but first test-drive shows the throttle a lot lighter and it picks up at mid 3k rpm faster and lighter than it used to.

Rakyat...thanks for the lesson..heheheh i never done a top overhaul before so i didnt know that the jobs i listed is a top overhaul hehheh. the porting job was outsourced. he sent it to a machine shop that does porting for all engines in the Johor area...i heard him mentioning it somewhere near goodhope hotel. he assures me this shop is used to doing porting and he's sent 3 other B16as there for porting n all 3 came back OK. not sure bout the flowbench tho. actualy, its the 3rd week the car is in the shop. he promised me it will be done by 1 week...

arrowhead...not 1k la hehehe...he said more than 1k...i budget at least 1.6k loh. maybe special price for me cos i recommend a lot of ppl to him?:driver:
Arturo...

You don't want to use 2.5mm gasket and turbo your beautiful engine? Haha... 38 only...

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
dowan la veloc...$$$ not enuff la. besides, i like the fire n forget mentality of the vtec hehehe.

now...dun poison me eh. this month aredy kena big bill liau!

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
guys...really need yr advise here.

still not ok. no more white smoke but idling still not stable. auto-choke and throttle body aredy changed 3 units still cant idle normally. when he close the auto-choke(air in-outlet) then idle will go down to about 1.1k but when on aircon will drop to about 200rpm(engine at normal running temp) if cold start on aircon will straight die off. tried retarding the dizzy to the max, then idle(on n off aircon) will be normal at about 900rpm. problem is if retard to the max, then totally no power. anybody has any idea whats the problem? before did the porting n top overhaul never had this problem...issit cos aredy done porting thats y A/F setting all gone? another question...is it normal to have a little hissing sound at idle after porting? something like air being sucked type of sound...

damn frust. car aredy in the workshop for the past 3 weeks...tomorrow will be beggining of week 4. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just wondering, a car that came stock standard inline 6 converted to a powerful inline 4 (lets say cefiro A31 convert RB20 to SR20), will the handling be significantly improved? i heard that some SuperGT cars does this.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience