Handphone drivers caught on camera - submitted to Polis Trafik

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
If there is one thing that annoys me no end, it will be people who use their handphones while they are driving. I have had several scary moments with handphone drivers on the road and one guy even deliberately try to ram me when we horn him due to his car was swaying in and out of lanes as he was talking on the handphone.

So I made myself a promise when I bought my viewcam. If ever I get some good footage of people breaking traffic laws, especially handphone users, I will take the footage to the police and will even be ready to stand as a witness should the offender decide to challenge the summons in court. I took some footage earlier but they were too blurry to be effective.

I finally got some good footage yesterday. The images you see below are screenshots from the video footage. I transferred all the recordings onto DVD and handed it to Polis Trafik this morning, along with a detailed report

Now, before you think this is a smooth-sailing with the police, I have news for you. When I made the report, a few things became apparent :-

1. The police have all the procedures in place to summons a driver who uses a handphone without a handsfree kit. No problems there.

2. But they have absolutely no idea of what is the proper procedure when a member of the public walks into Trafik and ask to be allowed to make a police report based on recorded footage. When I made the request, everyone at Trafik was thrown into confusion. I was made to wait for well over an hour, while the officers were bouncing calls from one superior to another, trying to work out what is the proper procedure.

3. Sometimes I think our police force is a bloody joke....law enforcers who are suppose to enforce the law but don't know how to go about it. Talking to some of the characters in there, you get a perception that a lot of them are not particularly smart, articulate or observant. One of them tried to act smart and said to me that the footage on the Kancil driver might not be sufficient proof for a summons. His reasoning was several :- a). the guy did not have the handphone on his ear; b). if I was questioned by lawyers, it will be difficult for me to establish if the thing the driver was manipulating was actually a handphone and if it was a handphone whether I would be able to identify to handphone color and model. It was at that point that I had a WTF moment with this particular cop and told him to watch the footage carefully again. First, the guy had the handphone on his ear at the beginning of the footage but midway in the recording, he took it off his ear, took his eyes off the road, looked down on the handphone and started punching in the numbers....all the time while the Kancil was moving. That is a fuck*ng summonable offence right there caught on camera, CLEAR AS DAYLIGHT...and this cop with the split-pea IQ tells me the charge may not stick ??!!?? And by the way, why would any Court give a shit whether a witness is able to ID the handphone color and model ? What...you expect me to have eagle-eyes to be able to tell the handphone model number held by a driver in his hand in a moving car ?? Unbelievable stupidity.

4. Anyway, some of the cops agreed this was good enough proof and finally the matter was brought all the way to the DSP (imagine that....every low ranker have no freaking idea and it got referred all the way to the DSP). This particular DSP is a pretty cool and approachable guy. He watched the footage, got convinced, made a brief call to his colleague to discuss, put down the phone and told me definitively they have enough to issue summons. In front of me, he issued instructions to a subordinate to get a printout of the vehicle's info from the database. The drivers will be asked to report to Trafik where they will be shown the footage and then be issued the summons. He took me report, contact number and in turn he gave me his card should we need to maintain contact (if those dickheads decide to challenge the summons in court)

Lastly, I have footage of the girl below whom we followed for over a kilometre. She was driving erratically and changing lanes without signal. When we pulled alongside, it became apparent that she was driving in that crazy posture. Obviously too lazy to even take her hand off the headrest to operate the signal lever. Either that, or maybe she was trying to show everyone how smooth her armpit from the new close-shave Gillette

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
luckily no hair under her armppit...hahahhaha...

anyway,wat do u expect frm d police?? dey only do s dey like,bt hav no clue abt wat 2 do in situations like tat..school drop outs!!!! pls get better qualified ppl 2 b in d forces... took dem hours 2 get it sorted??? tats jst playing DUMB!!!!!

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
jst 2 add....dey ask d public 2 help in reducing accidents,robberies etc.. wen we (in dis case u did) gave dem proof,der dumbfounded.... jst stuck as 2 wat 2 do next...m not saying all d personel r, bt it seems like we're gettin more n more personel like dis in d forces.... taking der jobs 4 granted..jst dnt gve a damn abt der jobs.not working profesionally.. u had 2 wait 4 hours??? u had proof, isnt tat wat dey want???

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
u had 2 wait 4 hours???

No, I had to wait a little over one hour before they sorted everything out and it took no less than a DSP to stamp his authority down and make a proper decision. All the corporals, sergeants and other low rankers I talked to were not particularly helpful or knowledgeable.

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
meant 2 say" u had 2 wait for hours??" over n hour still seems kinda long esp wen u ody hav proof,dey take ur report...talk a while,bla bla ...den its all done..sud not b more den 30 mins ... i dnt knw la.

eujin

1,000 RPM
Jul 10, 2005
wajaland
btw.....Fvel just query...

are u using handphone to capture this images??? it is illegal too rite...using hp while driving???

hoxy

Known Member
Oct 8, 2007
yeah... you mentioned about your viewcam... show me how you mounted in on the car? Maybe you can post it on DIY thread. I think this will be my new hobby, taking movies of people driving not in a legal way. It must be fun, cause absolutely most of this people is not that kind of loaded (have money). If they got summon on their name or car, definitely it will be a burden to them. Definitely will teach them a lesson. If no money, drive according to road safety rules. If have money also drive according to safety rule la... hehe. To receive a summon, to have money to pay them, and to have a time to go to pay them, to recover back from lost of money, merit point deduction... definitely these people will learn their lesson. You have to adjust the viewcam constantly to target the car or focus on the owner face right? You do this while you are driving? You did it while you are not the driver or while you a driver? What did you tell the officer about how you took the video?

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
lol....you are really that bored? Do you give out parking and speeding tickets as well?

The cops are probably jesting around with you because they could not believe anyone would spend such effort over such a petty offense.

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
Wa. You so free ah? How bout you? those shots are taken when you are driving?
I hate people driving while on phone, damn slow 1. blocking the lane and stupid.

2pac

1,000 RPM
Jun 30, 2004
PJ/Sban
yo bro FVel... u've done a good job!!!! we need more people like u

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
In answer to some of the questions here, I was a passenger in the car when the footage was recorded, so I didn't break any laws. The recordings with the handphone users were taken during lunchtime when we were parked at the side while we waited for my colleague to finish his errand at a nearby shop.

lol....you are really that bored? Do you give out parking and speeding tickets as well?

The cops are probably jesting around with you because they could not believe anyone would spend such effort over such a petty offense.
You know, I actually expected some people will reply this thread and respond in the flippant manner as you did. My motivation for doing this is personal. Like I said, I almost got hit by handphone drivers several times and in one case I was nearly assaulted by a road-rage handphone user. In the grand scheme of things, I won't make a damn bit of difference to stop drivers using their handphones, but the one good thing I know is that the drivers in the footage are now being issued summons. I just saw the summons myself. That at least is something.............however small. People like you think it petty offence and not worthy of effort. The question is, what exactly would you consider worthy before you make an effort ? My experience is most Malaysian road users are just a lot of talk but when it comes to 'doing', not many will live up to their own hype.

It just goes to show that it takes all kinds of people to populate our roads. There's a regular ZTH member here who makes it point to stop and help accident victims because he's a trained first-aider. But at the other end of the spectrum, there are also plenty of people like you. I guess it takes all types to make the world go round.

Civic-R

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
Earth
Visit site
Bro,u do tt isn't it ur 'indirectly' givin our police force chances to 'minum kopi'?Thos who get summons might come to them then using the 'express' way to settle their summons & cheaper discounts.And i don't think the police will thank u for your efforts by submitting to them thos who offended the law.Did they??:sleep:

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I see lots of people who drive and talk on their hand phones even though their hand phones have speaker phone hands free features. These kind of people, it's easy to inform them kindly not to use their phones and drive. Just drive up in front of them quickly and brake. hahahaha Chances are they'll drop their hand phone. buahahaha

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
I see lots of people who drive and talk on their hand phones even though their hand phones have speaker phone hands free features. These kind of people, it's easy to inform them kindly not to use their phones and drive. Just drive up in front of them quickly and brake. hahahaha Chances are they'll drop their hand phone. buahahaha
Instead of dropping handphone, they might crash on you. :rofl: buauahahahaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys...

does anyone here recommend TRD Suspension Kit...this would be for a MyVi...the kit is being retailed for RM2500...was considering between this, Titan (RM2000) and GAB...please advise and give your personal reviews...

i have used Titan before on my kelisa and loved them...but it was rather hard...sacrificing comfort quite a bit...the goal im hoping to get is to have improved handling with reasonable comfort since the MyVi is not really meant for cornering...just want to improve...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience