Group Fix: Rear Torsion Bar Bushes for A32

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Chris (defcon) and I have decided to change all the bushes for the rear torsion bar in US9. Since it needs a lorry to transport the whole assembly to an engineering shop from the workshop in US9, we r trying to get more ppl who is interested to lower down the cost.

According to defcon, TC doesnt change the bushes but the whole assembly. in other words, they r trying to have easy job while making the most money. so if ur car has travelled around 200,000km++ or its 7 to 10 yrs old, its time to change! u will feel the different.

today i had change all the bushes for the front lower arm bars n it felt like new car...:smile:...everything cost me RM500..

if possible, we will be gettin it done by this Saturday, 8th of July 2006. at the same time, we can have TT a well...

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ongteckweng said:
Chris (defcon) and I have decided to change all the bushes for the rear torsion bar in US9. Since it needs a lorry to transport the whole assembly to an engineering shop from the workshop in US9, we r trying to get more ppl who is interested to lower down the cost.

According to defcon, TC doesnt change the bushes but the whole assembly. in other words, they r trying to have easy job while making the most money. so if ur car has travelled around 200,000km++ or its 7 to 10 yrs old, its time to change! u will feel the different.

today i had change all the bushes for the front lower arm bars n it felt like new car...:smile:...everything cost me RM500..

if possible, we will be gettin it done by this Saturday, 8th of July 2006. at the same time, we can have TT a well...
Unacceptable Solution

TC does not sell individual bushing parts for the rear carriage and multi-link torsion bar. What they prescribe is the replacement of the ENTIRE carriage...a really stupid solution and expensive as well. I have no idea what the price would be, but I think TC's solution would probably set us back about 2k+ a piece.

When the bushings in the rear bar go...and this happens usually about 6 years into the lifespan of the car, the rear carriage acquires some sideways movement making control of the rear a little "squishy". Most people do not notice this as the wear and tear happens gradually over time. This actually accounts for about half of the body roll we encounter in cornering. You can actually test this.

On Gentings last weekend, I had the opportunity to test 0123's ride...a 1 year old A33. The A33 sports the exact same rear carriage design as our A32's, but his bushings are new. The body roll was there, yet, in a turn, all I could feel was the softness of the absorbers and the lack of tyre spacing. None of the "squishiness" that I could feel in my car, and NO thumping whenever the rear wheel went over a bump or into a hole.

Bushing wear is related to both distance travelled and time. If your ride has travelled the distance, you get wear and tear. If the car is more than about 6 years old, even if it hasn't travelled the distance, the bushing material would have hardened and a good bump will crack them.

Now, the solution :

According to Ah Lee (and this is why I go to this workshop, the guy seems to know a few things more than I do... :smile: ), bushing sets for our rear carriage do exist and whilst TC does not stock them, spare parts shops do.

So, the work consists of dismantling the rear carriages off the chasis, transporting them by truck to a machine shop, and having the machine shop press out all the bushings and replacing them with new ones. I'll be able to find out how much this costs on Monday, and I reckon that the work will take most of a day. The actual work is only a couple of hours, but it's waiting for the carriages to come back from the machine shop that takes time.

Possibly, an early morning start is prescribed as then, Lee can arrange the feilos neatly by the side of the shop so that they don't block the shop entrances and his business can proceed smoothly. Also, he and his team can then quickly dismantle the rear carriages and arrange transport to the machine shop early so as to "beat the jam" so to say as I would imagine that even machine shops would be hard pressed on Saturdays.

There are 2 mamak shops, a chinese coffee shop, and Taipan commercial district within walking distance. My house is also within walking distance, and you are all welcome.

One small problem is that I will be in Jakarta on Saturday morning, so I will need someone, either Lee or Ong to help drive my car to Lee's place. I could get Lee to do it but I don't want it to slow down the work on the other feilos. Not a biggie...I'll work it out.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ongteckweng said:
chris...so u wont be here this saturday...how about the week after?
Mr. "Ass of Steel"....don't delay the group repair on my behalf. I will be in Jakarta from Wenesday till Saturday, so Lee can retrieve my car any time to do it. If you want to test drive it, no worries...just pick it up on Saturday.

Also, I never know when I will be working on a Saturday. Yesterday was exceptional...

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
defcon1 said:
Mr. "Ass of Steel"....don't delay the group repair on my behalf. I will be in Jakarta from Wenesday till Saturday, so Lee can retrieve my car any time to do it. If you want to test drive it, no worries...just pick it up on Saturday.

Also, I never know when I will be working on a Saturday. Yesterday was exceptional...
ok then...will fix a date with Lee for this Saturday so we have at least 2 cars to do...anyone else?

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
ongteckweng said:
ok then...will fix a date with Lee for this Saturday so we have at least 2 cars to do...anyone else?
I am interested leh.....But have to see the cost involved first lah....

Another issue here is where can we get the parts from since the bushes is not the replacement parts in TC's mind?

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
ongteckweng said:
According to defcon, TC doesnt change the bushes but the whole assembly. in other words, they r trying to have easy job while making the most money.
Not to talk about the rear assembly, even the front lower arm bushes, TC also not willing to do. They only do the whole arm replacement and charge a bomb RM6++ ~ RM7++ x 2...........

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Lawcc said:
Not to talk about the rear assembly, even the front lower arm bushes, TC also not willing to do. They only do the whole arm replacement and charge a bomb RM6++ ~ RM7++ x 2...........
All bushings available from Ah Lee's spare parts supplier - Japan made bushings specifically for the A32. Probably from OEM supplier.

And Ong did both lower arms for about rm 500, I did one lower arm for half that.

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Lawcc said:
I am interested leh.....But have to see the cost involved first lah....

Another issue here is where can we get the parts from since the bushes is not the replacement parts in TC's mind?
will find the pricing later today.

i think all bushes can be replaced....becoz its illogical to replace the whole lower arm becoz of a stupid bush! TC its just tryin to rip us bcoz they r lazy to send the whole thing to machine shop to press it out...and it takes time to do it...so they dont want to waste time as we all know, servicing such as oil change which its fast makes a lot of money for them.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Just talked to Lee and he said that he will get us a price by 5pm today. He apparently already got a price for 3rd party bushings, but is waiting for another supplier for Japan-made OEM bushings. I think I know why.

Apparently the original OEM bushings from Japan lasts a long time. He's not so confident of the 3rd party ones hence is not quite willing to recommend them. There are all sorts of sizes for 3rd party bushings, but it's difficult to know if they are of a really good quality.l

I'll post again later.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
defcon1 said:
Just talked to Lee and he said that he will get us a price by 5pm today. He apparently already got a price for 3rd party bushings, but is waiting for another supplier for Japan-made OEM bushings. I think I know why.

Apparently the original OEM bushings from Japan lasts a long time. He's not so confident of the 3rd party ones hence is not quite willing to recommend them. There are all sorts of sizes for 3rd party bushings, but it's difficult to know if they are of a really good quality.l

I'll post again later.
Yeah....Agree, as far as possible go for Japan quality, more cost effective ie last longer with better quality. No rush, willing to wait for the quality.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Lawcc said:
Yeah....Agree, as far as possible go for Japan quality, more cost effective ie last longer with better quality. No rush, willing to wait for the quality.
Just got the final word from Mr. Lee... :smile:

Bad news, I'm afraid...FOR TC!!!... :laugh:

He's offering all Japanese OEM (original, from what I understand) parts at RM 685 per car. Includes all parts, labour and transport.

Changes every bushing on the torsion bar, and replaces the short metal arm that holds the torsion bar to car in the center of the assembly.

He's able to do about 3 cars at any one time, though I doubt we will have so many cars so regularly.

For any A32 that has never had it done, believe me, it's necessary. The ride quality will improve significantly.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Oh...and it takes most of a day to get it done. Most of it, waiting for the machine shop to return the parts.

So, we should have time for T/T, roti, more T/T, mee goreng, even more T/T...etc.

Best would be to get the cars in early, so that he can park them out of the way, before cars begin to clog up his premises. Then he will dismantle all the cars fast, and send them off.

One good thing about Lee is that he does not like to keep his customers waiting any longer than necessary. When he did Ong's and my lower arms, he started assembling them back in the moment they came back. I appreciate this as some mechs would just leave them lying on the floor somewhere and get to them in their own sweet time.

He's a bit more relaxed with me, since he knows that I'm a petrol junkie i.e. I sniff petrol for kicks... :laugh:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i wan to change my gbox from 4g15 m tu 4g91 a. do i need to put ecu and wayering semula? recently, i went to kedai potong at bentong, and they said, i have to put the ecu and rewayering also, but some of them said no need to do that. mana satu betul ni???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience