From Shy to Shiny

SuperDetailer

Known Member
Aug 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
When we got a phone call from this owner, he was just inquiring if we can transform his ride.

Well, when we arrive at the scene, we started to do some inspection first. It turns out that it wasn't that bad after all. His ride is still factory paint even after many years.

Let's see what this journey of detailing has taught us,

When we first arrive at the scene,

Based on the owner, he usually brought it to road side car wash nearby his house for convenience. Thanks to them, clear coat has failed.

Checking what to do first.

Do you know what's the problem? Answer: Clear coat failure.

Rims full of oil stains.

Engine bay looks in bad shape too.

Closer look:

Rear bumper:

Lower Rear bumper:

Oil stains:

With scratches too:

Some more to add in the list:

Gosh look at that:

Closer look:

Side door:

Stains everywhere:

Door handles with scratches because of finger nails:

What is that?

Doing a coating reading first.

Interior does looks in bad shape too:

Closer look:

Close up:

Side mirror has problem too:

Boot area:

Using Alien Clean 1:3, ta da!!!!

Alien Clean, agitate it.

Rinse it, ta-da!!!

Like new!

See? New again?

Before:

Alien Clean 1:3, agitate it.

After:

Before:

After:

Finger nail scratches before:

Removed!

The other side of the door:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before magic happens:

After magic happens:

New back again:

Engine bay before:

Engine bay after:

Before

After

Look at the bucket? We had to change the water many times. This are all the oil stains on your car if you don't remove them.

Taking it for Alien No Rinse Wash.

The rims as before:

Using Alien Clean and with a brush:

Ta-da!!!

Hmm, stains surrounding the words.

No problem with Alien Clean 1:3

Water to rinse quickly before dry.

Ta-da!!! Like new again.

Side mirror with Alien Clean too. Look at all the black black stains...

Stains before:

Stains after: missing...

Front before:

Alien Clean to the rescue

Rinse

Magic happens:

After giving it a Alien No Rinse wash:

Looks much better:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Using Makita 9227C with 3 inch pad tools to detail smaller areas.

Can you see the difference? Left panel is before, and Right panel is after:

Before:

After: Gloss restored.

Interior also restored as well.

Some after shots:

Can see the reflection now.

Some more:

Looking like new:

Reflection restored.

Presenting to you.

Owner is happy, we are happy.

Remember this before?

Bumper like new again.

It's picture perfect:

Saying goodbye is the hardest word of all.

And our journey ends with a reflection ride.

Well, this concludes our journey. Hope you enjoy it. Though that it took us many hours, but it was worth it seeing that the owner and his wife is very happy.

This journey has indeed given us another experience to add in our collection.

Please visit us at : Super Detailer | Facebook

Last edited:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
nice..totally like new...great!

SuperDetailer

Known Member
Aug 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

GRexer

GRexer™ KuzTomZ
Nov 14, 2003
Puchong
One thing that always makes me wonder though. How do you guys actually detail and take photos? :rofl: I don't detail for a living, more like doing my own cars and relatives and some closer friends, but it's fun to be able to document without having to remove the gloves every now and then, do you peeps have someone else to capture the photos instead? :confused:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
The paint is 80 microns so thin??? Has it been detailed before???

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
I think 80 is an acceptable figure for single stage paint but definitely very thin if this is a clear coated paint.

SuperDetailer: Just a question, when you polished the car, did your pad turn white or when you clean the pads, was the water flowing out white? Just wanted verification cause I did two white Myvi recently (one a few years old and another just barely 2 months old) and both are single stage paint. Maybe there is a batch of Myvi that came with clear coated white instead of just single stage white....

If its a single stage paint, then it is not a clear coat failure but more towards oxidization of the paint (most probably hasten by road side car washes).

Did you take another reading of the paint after all was completed to measured how much was removed?

Anyway, awesome job and really love the gloss. Usage of OPC/Alien Clean really does make things faster and easier.

GRexer

GRexer™ KuzTomZ
Nov 14, 2003
Puchong
Actually there's 2 different whites from MyVI, one is the Single Stage White(more commonly known as "solid white" locally), the other is a clear-coated(probably a tinted coat) white, which is more commonly known as the pearl white from the catalogue, which appears a little yellowish if not maintained well.

darween13

Feb 6, 2006
Velocity
DarkAccoon / GRexer

As mentioned by GRexer, i think there is 2 white; solid (single stage) and pearl white (with clear coat). And, referring to your detailing experience on two myvi's, i detailed one myself too - solid white myvi with single stage paint - even while claying the water was flowing out white. And upon polishing the car, the pad turned white / the water used to wash turned white too.
Hence, i believe all solid white myvi's are only equipped with single stage paint.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Actually there's 2 different whites from MyVI, one is the Single Stage White(more commonly known as "solid white" locally), the other is a clear-coated(probably a tinted coat) white, which is more commonly known as the pearl white from the catalogue, which appears a little yellowish if not maintained well.
Its call Ivory white and i don't think its a single stage paint (at least for Myvi SE).

GRexer

GRexer™ KuzTomZ
Nov 14, 2003
Puchong
Its call Ivory white and i don't think its a single stage paint (at least for Myvi SE).
Any reliable source for this? Everywhere I looked seemed to tag the Ivory White as a single stage solid colour, and the Pearl White as "Special MetaLlic" :hmmmm:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I think there's 2 types. I recently detailed a metallic myvi.

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
wow, amazing work!!! but i always wonder
1. how do you rinse off alien clean on the interior and other tight nooks and crannies?? do you just spray a mist of water on it and use MF to wipe it off? because i see the bucket of black water and i'm guessing that's what you did. .... ???
2. how do you clean the engine bay? after spraying alien clean, how do you remove it? spray mist of water and use MF to wipe?? no risk of damage to electronics?

man, you guys are amazing!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Initially there were rumours circulating saying that there’s a new Mini John Cooper Works GP in the pipeline. Looks like this round, its true!

<!--more-->Due to make an appearance at the Mini United Festival in France this weekend, Mini has yet to disclose any specifics or interior shots. Rather, they’ve merely indicated that it’s capable of lapping the Nurburgring with a fastest...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience