Ford Fiesta 1.6l Sport Owner's Review

cow.stroller

Nov 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,

I've been seeing a lot of people voicing concerns and questions about this car in forums and blogs. So, I was thinking of giving a review from owner's perspective and I'll try to be as concise and unbiased as possible. Hopefully, this may clear some doubts for both prospect and current owners.

About the car
Price OTR with insurance: RM84888, built on March 2012 at Rayong, Thailand, according to the Ford's website.
Roadtax: RM90 per annum
Dealer: Persada Auto Sdn Bhd. The car is from the yard at Old Klang Road, opposite of Volkswagen SC. The agent is introduced by my gf's uncle, quite fast and honest.
Date of registration: 13-July-2012.
Current Mileage: about 8000KM on 27-Nov-2012

First day picking it up!

- What i don't like is compared to Toyota, Honda, Proton and Perodua... lack of safety kits, my car only have a jack, tow anchor and a pair of tools to change wheels. SDAC is kinda cheapskate...
-[UPDATE] Some of you might notice the Elken sticker on the windscreen. Just to be clear that I'm just a internal staff, not Elken member. So i'm not doing MLM or advertising and it's a staff parking sticker ya.

Exterior
- Nice Solid body feel, by 4th month, fittings are still good.
- Rear tow cover is lousy (suspect during 3rd month), mine dropped off and it'll cost RM80 (if not mistaken) to replace. The tow cover is not secured with screw or something. :hmpf:
- Somehow the paint job is not that durable, front bumper and hood had some minor paint chipped off due to debris on the road, it is advisable to keep some distance from the trucks. :motz:
- Stock rim is 195/50/r16 which is odd, you won't have many choices of tire unless change to other common sizes such as 205/50/r16. But you replace your stock rims, especially 17" onwards, chances are your warranty on springs, shock absorbers, bushing, well basically suspension components will be void.
- Spare wheel is steel 185/60?/r14.
- [UPDATE]: Stock tire is Continental Premium Contact 2, IMO, nice dry/wet traction, decent cornering control, i love the wet braking capability but might be noisy on certain road surfaces like cement. Read few forums like tyrereview.co.uk said low tread lifespan so i'll see how it goes.

Interior
- Hard plastics dominated the interior, at least they don't looked cheap IMO, well relatively speaking.
- Overall sound insulation in the cabin is very nice if compared to B-segment cars! :proud: And the front seats are nice, like bucket seat, it holds you nicely, even my gf sleep soundly in the front passenger seat while I blasting thru winding B-roads.
- Reat seats OK but abit hard to fit 3 full size male adults...
- Cargo space is somewhat smaller than a Myvi!:hmmmm2:
- Fittings are good, but mine had some minor squeak sound around the door panels during cooler temp such as night time, suspect caused after window tinting installation as the tint shop ppl had a slight hard time trying to open the panel. Still solid when knock here and there.
- Steering wheel is nice to grip, at least to me. Some of my friends don't like it since it's not completely round.
- My power window master lock switch doesn't seem to work, will take it to SC to check during first service. :hmpf:
- The Bluetooth system is not Microsoft Sync but it's in-house system by Ford. Works well with Nokia and iPhone, able to dial number using voice command with ease.
- The rear platform above cargo area is just a board with two strings hanging, so it's make some noise when going over uneven roads. :frown:
- Dashboard audio controls OK but abit hard to choose songs during driving, especially from USB devices. Voice commands can't choose songs :frown:
- My fan blower speed knob is abit flimsy...:frown: Aircond not as cool as Proton cars.

Performance, Ride and FC
- It's 1.6l engine (120PS@6000rpm, 152Nm@4050rpm) with Powershift dual-clutch transmission (DCT). Too bad there's no manual override mode.:frown:
- The engine's torque is OK across the rev range (2000rpm onwards), slight 'kick' feel around 5000 to 6300 rpm.
- 0 to 100KM/h is fun around 9-10 secs, easy to climb to 160Km/h, slower climb to 190KM/h. IMO, as long as you don't exceed 180KM/h, the car is steady as hell. The EPAS in Sport trim is heavy most of the time compared to Sedan trim which is too light for me on slow speed...
- DCT is dry-clutch based, will jerk if pedal and release too fast in short time. Downshift can be indecisive, sometimes I need to activate 'Grade Assist Mode' and stay in 3000 to 5000rpm longer. To pass another vehicle I need to rev to 3500rpm to 4000rpm to force the car downshift under normal 'D'. 'L' gear will pull the rpm until redline, so best to use Grade Assist Mode (or you can say it's turning OD off).
- Need to break in the engine and gearbox for first 1600KM, nightmare period in traffic jams and parking lot since the car might lunge forward abit if press too hard on gas pedal. :frown: Took me few weeks to get used to it.
- NOTE: Fiesta is infamous for clutch oil leak due to the sealant quality. Heard 2011 batch more prone to it. But still need to watch out. Notice the red circles

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

- Body roll is minimum, the car corners hard but nice (wheelbase 2489mm), not too bumpy, body lean is acceptable. Since the front wheel track (1478mm) is slight wider than rear wheel track (1465mm), the car don't really under-steer under stress. Added Ultra Racing 2-point front strut bar to further enhance front end stiffness to my liking.

- Current FC is 8l/100KM, lowest is 7.2l/100KM. 70% city drive, occasional WOT, note: The car has yet to undergo its first service.

Maintenance, Workshop and Warranty
- The car is come with 3-year/60000KM free service (labor, parts -engine oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plug). :biggrin: Spare part list can be found at Ford Fiesta Spare Parts Price List
- Lack of SCs and their quality control is one of the drawbacks. I heard Puchong SC (Persada Auto) and Jalan Damansara (Capital Intertrade) are the more reputable at Klang Valley.
- Engine oil is and should insist on Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30 (Full Syn)
- First Service and inspection is at 10000KM, interval is 10000KM.
- I went to Persada SC at Puchong there once for inspecting my suspension components after went thru a deep pothole. They're OK, very little people and clean surrounding, should check it out.
- I used Permanon kits to wash and maintain the exterior, nice and hassle free, water droplets with not stay on exterior for long, and help paint resist UV.
Here's first time application,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Verdict
- If you like driving dynamics and like DCT, this is the car to get. To me it's bang for buck, plus the car is quieter than Toyota Vios and Honda City. Nissan Almera also have a quiet and comfortable cabin.
- Don't expect passengers to get excited with you in traffic jams and parking lots all the time. The occasional jerking can make them feel uncomfortable. Luckily mine doesn't jerk anymore.
- If you care about resale value, cargo space, cabin space... this is not your car unless you go for the sedan version.
- Mazda 2 hatchback also quite fun to drive if you find Fiesta's price is too high.

Hope this review is not too long.

If there's any misinformation, please let me know.

cheers and happy motoring! :biggrin:

Last edited:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
thanks bro...its a very detailed sharing...2 thumbs up!

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Very nice review!

One question, doesn't the FC strike you as a bit on the high side? What kind of roads to you frequent?

cow.stroller

Nov 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Very nice review!

One question, doesn't the FC strike you as a bit on the high side? What kind of roads to you frequent?
I do feel FC is slightly higher but i'll see how it fares as I'm not too far away from the first service schedule. I commute daily from Puchong to Old Klang Road for work, then go to Tmn Desa on alternate days at night before heading back to Puchong. On average it's about 16 to 22KM with Kesas highway. Most of the time I have experience stop-go traffic on Old Klang Roadand Jalan Puchong or crawl through heavy traffics in Puchong area, especially at Puchong exit at Kesas Highway.

Average travel time is about 20 to 30 minutes on smooth traffic, 45 minutes to an hour on congested traffic.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Nice review. I think its a shame there's no manual shifting for the 6sp DCT gearbox. Would be fun if they had the Ecoboost version, and Duratorq at the same asking price.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Clutch Oil leak? I was reading this on DCT....

However, the new PowerShift gearbox used in the Ford Fiesta uses dry clutches and electric motor/solenoid actuation

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
-195/50/16 not weird if compare to city 185/55/16. 205/50/16 not suitable, u need 205/45/16. spare is 175/65/14
-boot space is bigger than myvi for sure.
-preventive safety like traction control and electronic stability is this car feature, u wont able to making this car swing its tail however driver was unable to switch off.
-currently all new fiesta extend warranty to 5 yrs and 200,000 km . however free maintenance T&C is same.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

transmission leak is cause by certain batch of bad quality oil seal. mine bought on Dec 2010 and no leak due date

cow.stroller

Nov 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Clutch Oil leak? I was reading this on DCT....

However, the new PowerShift gearbox used in the Ford Fiesta uses dry clutches and electric motor/solenoid actuation
From what i found out, Ford did said PowerShift dry clutches are not submerged in oil like those wet clutch system. Not too sure. gearbox oil supposed to be sealed for life. When I searched for 6dct250 at Getrag website it did said little oil volume so I assume it uses low volume of oil to the point that you don't need oil cooler pumps and stuff like that.

So yeah.

cow.stroller

Nov 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
-195/50/16 not weird if compare to city 185/55/16. 205/50/16 not suitable, u need 205/45/16. spare is 175/65/14
-boot space is bigger than myvi for sure.
-preventive safety like traction control and electronic stability is this car feature, u wont able to making this car swing its tail however driver was unable to switch off.
-currently all new fiesta extend warranty to 5 yrs and 200,000 km . however free maintenance T&C is same.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

transmission leak is cause by certain batch of bad quality oil seal. mine bought on Dec 2010 and no leak due date
- I didn't really measure boot space again Myvi so it's visually smaller than Fiesta, so it could be larger in reality. :smile:

- I understand those active safety features are always on but so far I've only activated ESP (it was blinking) once to avoid what seems like a tree branch felt onto the road during raining. So, I rather have them on for those unforeseen situation... Did some hard cornering before but ESP did not turn on. Well, TC and ESP are under one light on the dashboard.

- Thanks for letting me the leak is caused by bad seal, now i know!

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
once u hit the track with the car, u will appreciate the safety feature and esp..

the car is virtually unskiddable (for me la haha), even driving with stock tyres and heavy rain, still can whack corner at melaka international circuit.. (was there last month for ford time attack)

jerkiness is characteristics of the DCT, as DCT is actually 2 piece of manual clutch combine together and gear shift is automated. So u will tend to feel the jerkiness like a manual car. The car comes with PCM (some sort of ecu/"brain" for the gearbox) which will adapt to your driving style. mine after driving for about couple of months much less jerkiness, so much smoother than the first month of driving..

btw, took me 2-3 months to get used to driving DCT. have to learn the driving style and learn to control pedal smoothly.. then u will love it!

rear boot is definitely larger than myvi, as i fit lots of things in it everyday. for me FC everyday drive like mad cow, rev like nobodies business + stuck in KL jam going to work and back to work, i still get 8L/100km... could probably do much better if i drive nicely (provided im not late for work everyday due to the jam! haha)

sound system is damn good for a stock car. deep bass and comes with DSP. when u set it for driver DSP, kinda like surround sound system. no kidding! not forgetting the low NVH level.. any other car of the same price range can never compete. even some jap cars above 100k also cant get the NVH level of a fiesta..

overall the car is good. do give capital intertrade a try at sg penchala. 10/10 service in my point of view.. nice lounge to chill, fast follow up by the SC..

btw, mine is an XTR :)

cow.stroller

Nov 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
once u hit the track with the car, u will appreciate the safety feature and esp..

the car is virtually unskiddable (for me la haha), even driving with stock tyres and heavy rain, still can whack corner at melaka international circuit.. (was there last month for ford time attack)

jerkiness is characteristics of the DCT, as DCT is actually 2 piece of manual clutch combine together and gear shift is automated. So u will tend to feel the jerkiness like a manual car. The car comes with PCM (some sort of ecu/"brain" for the gearbox) which will adapt to your driving style. mine after driving for about couple of months much less jerkiness, so much smoother than the first month of driving..

btw, took me 2-3 months to get used to driving DCT. have to learn the driving style and learn to control pedal smoothly.. then u will love it!

rear boot is definitely larger than myvi, as i fit lots of things in it everyday. for me FC everyday drive like mad cow, rev like nobodies business + stuck in KL jam going to work and back to work, i still get 8L/100km... could probably do much better if i drive nicely (provided im not late for work everyday due to the jam! haha)

sound system is damn good for a stock car. deep bass and comes with DSP. when u set it for driver DSP, kinda like surround sound system. no kidding! not forgetting the low NVH level.. any other car of the same price range can never compete. even some jap cars above 100k also cant get the NVH level of a fiesta..

overall the car is good. do give capital intertrade a try at sg penchala. 10/10 service in my point of view.. nice lounge to chill, fast follow up by the SC..

btw, mine is an XTR :)
Nice, XTR trim is cool but I'm contend with the stock body. Maybe coupled with large mud flaps later? :laugh: Those M-Sport built Fiesta RS and upcoming R5 is crazy man. People like Marcus Gronholm, Jari-Matti Latvala and Mads Ostberg can pound thru those snow, gravel and tarmac route like a boss :adore:. Even Valentino Rossi won Monza Rally 3 times with Fiesta RS :adore:. Of course Ken Block too but his WRC performance is rather disappointing for past 2 years...

I agree on the stock sound system! Nice when pump up the volume of Sigur Ros music :adore:. and thanks for the info about Capital Intertrade.

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
my steering is making some weird knocking noise when parking or slow speed turn.... send for checkup and will have the drive shaft replaced under warranty(stock will come in a month or so)..... bought my car early last year..... did you know wiper also can claim warranty?? :) :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

so my parents decided to sell their 2009 lancer ES and I was wondering if i can add a turbo to it.
It is a 2009 mitsubishi lancer es, automatic 4.0. Even if it is pricey, i would like to add a turbo to my car, would i need a turbo kit? can my car take a turbo kit? if so, what would be some reliable brands and sources?

Im not a car expert, but i would at least like to know the ins and outs of my vehicle.

my budget is about $2500
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience