First Drive!: Evolution X

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

The string of bright orange cones up ahead signals a fast-approaching uphill right-hander that terminates with a bit of uneven pavement. No paddle shifters needed; a tap of the brakes elicits a throttle-blipped downshift as I turn the wheel and round the corner, tires singing and bobbing, but somehow tracking straight. Up next is a fast left-right-left; the last tricky decreasing radius turn that's been frustrating all morning.

Images and Article from Source. Read and see more here:
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X - Powertrain and Chassis - First Drive - Motor Trend

Once again I find myself too fast, out of shape, and on the wrong line, my front tires howling as they understeer toward potential disaster. But in the split second between realization and frantic corrective action, a faint push at the outside rear wheel silences the howl, and we tuck back in line as the corner exit magically appears. Now I'm positive there are ghosts in this machine, computer-driven spirits that whisper quickly and quietly to each other before conjuring up just this sort of electromechanical wizardry.

For the sake of simplicity, the all-new 2008 Lancer Evolution's Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) system should be regarded as the creation of a divine being, for who among us can question the intent of a devilishly complicated system that utilizes multiple clutches and limited-slip differentials, well over a dozen varied sensors, and four-acronym-driven subsystems: Active Center Differential (ACD), Active Yaw Control (AYC), Active Stability Control (ASC), and Sport-Antilock Braking System (S-ABS)? I certainly cannot; even after sitting through a detailed Powerpoint presentation, complete with colored animation, I can barely explain how it works.

But here goes: S-AWC is essentially a complex torque-distribution system composed of electronically controlled hydraulic clutches and mechanical differentials that split torque from front-to-rear (via ACD) and side to side (via AYC for the rear wheels and a helical differential for the fronts). To further control vehicle behavior, S-AWC employs a stability- and traction-control system that regulates engine power (ASC) and braking force (ASC and S-ABS) at each wheel. Using data collected by numerous sensors, including but not limited to steering angle, throttle position, individual wheel speed, brake pressure at each wheel, as well as longitudinal and lateral acceleration, the S-AWC system's computerized controller determines the best way to assist the driver and coordinates efforts via a separate closed area network (CAN). There's a lot more to it than that, but I haven't even mentioned the fancy transmission yet.

Found only on 2008 Lancer Evolution MRs, Mitsubishi's all new six-speed Twin-Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission (TC-SST) is eerily similar to the VW/Audi's DSG/S-tronic dual clutch system-essentially a manual transmission that can select two gears at a time. One gear is engaged by one of two wet multiplate clutches, while the next is preselected, awaiting engagement by the second clutch. Swapping between clutches changes gears, which can be done with nearly no lag: Only a fraction of a second is needed for blipping the e-throttle to sync engine and transmission speeds.

TC-SST is a true manual, with gear changes possible via the console-mounted shifter, or magnesium paddle shifters. Normal and Sport modes are available as well: Normal does a spot-on impression of a gas-sipping auto while Sport is suitable for situations when higher shift points, quick gear changes, and engine braking are desired. Manual and automatic shifts in Normal and Sport mode are exactly as you'd expect: comfortably slow in the former, suitably brisk in the latter-though perhaps a hair slower than the S-mode of VW/Audi's dual clutch system. Toggling between the two modes is easily achieved by a switch on the console and can be done at any time.

stanleycmw

Known Member
Jan 24, 2007
Just wondering...since the EVO X is quite similar to EVO IV's case (same body shell with only few body kits then become EVO)...can we just buy the Lancer 2.0 which is only RM11+K and convert it to EVO X when we put aside the chassis rigidity? If this is so...can't imagine how many EVO X it will be on road in 3 to 5 years... :P

:adore:

inside0ut

Known Member
Oct 27, 2005
PJ
wallaaa...got very garang face lor...:)
agreed with stanleycmw.very similar to evo 4-6 case (not much diff within that model accept the bodykit).the price must b double price of lancer 2.0 rite?anyway, when it will comin to msian market?

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Seriously, the Evo's mechanicals and electronics are getting incredibly complex. I wouldn't really trust any mechanic to convert a normal Lancer into an Evo. I really wouldn't.

The Evo is just like the Civic Type R and the BMW M cars, whereby they're based on normal cooking versions and therefore will always lose exclusivity and that feeling of specialness/rarity. But of course, with all these cars, its not so much the looks but the underpinning that make it interesting and desirable.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

!!!need help about custom car approval

all sifu out there or any 1 experiance
do i need JPJ approval after i fix some custom made body kits(car look different then original e.g. kenari mod to accord) to use it on the road???:Not_Impressed:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience