Fiesta sets itself apart from the crowd

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

There’s always a flurry of excitement the moment a new car enters the local market but the hype surrounding the arrival of the B-segment Fiesta has been exceptional and with good reason too. The Fiesta is a breath of fresh air, a shot in the arm, of a segment that has been getting pretty staid lately.

The three variants offered locally come feature packed to the brim, even the lowest spec version. That’s precisely the reason that the Fiesta has garnered such attention here. Jst on paper, the Fiesta seems to be a winner on most counts.

There’s no denying that the value for money stares you in the face and you just can’t look away. While we’re yet to get a feel of it behind the wheel, sometimes paper facts alone are sufficient to justify value, just ask the 600 people that have already booked the Fiesta and will be receiving their units within the next few months.

Being part of the One Ford global small car strategy, the Fiesta benefits from input all over the world to become quite a complete B-segment offering. The basis of the Fiesta is the promise of ‘big car’ premium features into a small car. Based on the spec sheet alone, it does appear to be the case.

The chassis is constructed mostly of high-strength steel that it s lightweight as well, giving it commendable safety while reducing weight and making it nimble on the roads.

Part of the tech includes the Electric Power Steering Assist that reduces power consumption and lessens the risk for leaks because of the lack of hydraulics. Safety wise too, the sedan 1.6LX and Sports 1.6 come standard with ESP while ABS is standard on all. The 1.6 variants also come with Hill Launch Assist that functions in reverse as well.

With excitement being part of the equation, the dash layout is appealing and includes plenty of features to give it a premium feel but in a small car. MP3 and AUX are standard while the Sports model gets a USB input as well. Another interesting new feature would be the Voice Control tech that works with Bluetooth. The feature allows the user to use their voice to make or receive calls and switch radio stations.

Furthermore, all the info regarding the audio system will be displayed on a centrally mounted multifunction display screen.

The fun factor continues onto the outside with a stylish exterior that projects sportiness. Sleek and sexy come to mind but without overpowering the sense of maturity it still emanates. Best bit is, the Fiesta still manages a coefficient of drag below 0.33.

Now comes the piece de resistance though, the Powershift six-speed dual clutch transmission that is a segment first and puts it well and firmly on a train for the city of great sales.

Furthermore, the clutches are of the dry variety, reducing friction, thus cutting down on energy loss and increasing fuel efficiency. This not only makes for better fuel consumption but also eliminates the need for an oil pump, torque converter, fluids and an external cooler.

A new feature that works with the transmission is the Neutral Coast Down that disengages the clutch when the brakes are applied.

With such a feature packed car, it does beggar belief that the Fiesta is only a B-segment offering. But that was precisely what Ford were aiming to do, bring technology to the Asian markets.

If you want to be objective about it, it’s pretty easy to list out the pros and cons of the Fiesta.

The features alone would be a comprehensive pro list, such as the great design, class-leading technology on offer like the Powershift transmission and even Ford’s famed ride and handling for small cars. In short, it’s a whole of car for the cash you’re parting with.

Nonetheless, if the entire package itself isn’t well hammered together than it does slice away a sizeable chunk of the hype. The main complain, as seen from the first thread, would be the tacky blueish hue of the interior. while they probably thought it would inject some excitement, the final colour came out just a tad bland, lending the dash a somewhat less than premium feel.

Furthermore, the fabric design on the seats, not to mention the seats themselves, leaves much to be said. The seats hardly look comfortable or adequately grippy, and to rub salt into the wound, the fabric design just looks plain tacky.

However, weighing in all in, the Fiesta is still a great buy, especially against the Jap models dominating the segment, and should definitely be on the consideration list of those looking at a B-segment offering.

The final hurdle that Ford would have to overcome locally though would be their wobbly track record that has left a bad aftertaste in the mouth of buyers of previous models. Granted, the cars themselves were good, but the less than stellar after sales and pricey spares did leave more than a few owners in the lurch.

Good thing about that though, Ford’s offering a 3-year/60,000km free service package alongside the 3-year/100,000km warranty that comes with the car to overcome that hurdle.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

what actually is this spoiler? any ppl help? i know many ppl say lancer ck's spoiler, but i did take 2 lancer ck spoiler and measure, the ck spoiler i took can fit my wira se nicely since i measure the edge of the spoiler got about 1-2 cm gap with the rear bonet edge........or the spoiler is custom 1?? in this picture, and on the road, i saw many wira a/b fit this spoiler nicely and seem gapless... i feel so desperate , can anybody help me? or got zth member here got ppl just take out from...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience