F1 Nov '06 - Feb '07 (Off Season) News & Updates

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Don't hibernate!
Let's keep up with F1 news and updates during the closed season!

:_:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Dennis reveals how he signed Alonso

Dennis reveals how he signed Alonso

07 December 2006
source: http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=136457

Ron Dennis has revealed how he orchestrated the controversial signing of two-time world champion Fernando Alonso. McLaren's capture of the Spaniard shocked the Formula One world at the end of 2005 but the way it happened is even more extraordinary. It turns out it resulted from a chance exchange of words at the Brazilian Grand Prix in 2005.

"It was after the 2005 Brazilian GP, in which he clinched his first title. Our drivers, Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen, had just finished first and second and Fernando was third," the McLaren Team Principal told the Independent.

"We came face to face for a minute and I think I said congratulations or something like that. He said, 'The thing about you is that you develop your cars'. To which I replied, 'You should be part of it'. When he said he would like to be, I was stunned. A week later we had a meeting in Japan and three weeks later the contract was signed," Dennis divulged.
Good tactic, Ron Dennis, indirectly he is telling Alonso, "I have a car that can win (now at least), and I want you to join."

If Ron Dennis were to approach Alonso at 2006 with McLaren winless GP season, Alonso might need to think twice.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
FIA agrees to revamp rules
08 December 2006

source: http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=136555
The FIA has confirmed long-term plans for F1 which will make the sport more environmentally-friendly and make it more useful for the road car industry. The World Motor Sport Council met today and agreed a timeline moving forward.

- regulations are already published
- (existing 2.4 litre engine remains "frozen");

- regulations as published but possible elimination of aerodynamic appendices (barge boards, winglets, chimneys, etc) forward of rear wheel centreline and behind front wheel centreline (subject to unanimous agreement of competing teams);
- possible sporting regulations to restrict the use of wind tunnels and/or models for use in wind tunnels and/or test rigs (subject to the consent of a majority of competing teams);
- (existing 2.4 litre engine remains frozen)

- energy recovery and re-use from braking
- reduction of 50% of downforce
- aerodynamic and other changes to facilitate overtaking
- existing 2.4 litre engine remains frozen or, possibly, a four-race drive train (engine and transmission)

- a proportion of waste heat recovered and used to propel the car
- a proportion of waste energy from exhaust gases recovered and used to propel the car
- wholly or partially standardised aerodynamics (or, possibly, new rules to encourage road-relevant research into aerodynamics)
- (existing 2.4 litre engine remains frozen, or, if applicable, four-race drive train remains frozen)

- perhaps a new four-race engine including
- high-efficiency turbocharging
- fuel (energy) flow limits
- direct injection
- downsizing so as to ensure very high (15000+) rpm
- bio fuels (possible freedom to use any bio fuel, with a limited maximum energy flow rate rather than a maximum fuel flow rate)
- perhaps a new approach to the chassis with
- further reductions in downforce
- greater emphasis on cornering performance and handling by means of chassis, suspension, and brake management
- complete freedom to use electronics to make the car more energy-efficient (drive train, etc, management)
- possibly also free up driver-aid electronics
- materials ¨C limitations on materials to bring them more into line with those used in road cars
- other road-relevant technologies

- new engine as above
- It is proposed that the foregoing should be a basis for discussion. There may be other interesting and important technologies as well as areas of research which are not mentioned.

Everything will be on the principle that new technologies, or rather the relevant devices, shall be freely available for sale to any team which wants them at an easily affordable price.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Microsoft and McLaren Electronic Systems in partnership

Source:http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/061211133417.shtml

Microsoft and McLaren Electronic Systems, which is based at the Mercedes-powered team's Woking factory, jointly announced on Monday that they have won the tender to supply standard ECUs to the entire Formula One field in 2008 through 2010.

The news first broke in July, with an FIA statement that did not refer to Ron Dennis' Grand Prix outfit beyond using the initials 'MES' for the electronics company that belongs to the McLaren Group.

"The three parties have now finalised the contracts," Microsoft and McLaren said jointly on Monday, also referring to the Paris-based governing body.

FIA President Max Mosley said the standard ECU regulation will "help cut costs".

"We selected what we consider is the most efficient and cost-effective solution," he added.

Amid concerns of a possible advantage for the silver-coloured team, McLaren Electronic Systems' Peter van Manen commented: "We already work with all the Formula One teams."
Oh shit, Microsoft venture into Automobile industry.

PS: With Xbox360 chipset? :biggrin:

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Wow, turbocharged engine might be back in 2011?
Hohoho, can't wait to see the result.

Good to hear that Microsoft will venture into F1.
So Xbox will produce better formula one games in future. hahaha...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Q. Guess who is the driver with white helmet in the chrome McLaren for testing?

Answer: F.Alonso :biggrin:
Renault give him green light to test for McLaren before his contract expired.

Last edited:

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Alonso had been a bad boy this year.
He didn't listen to Flavio Briatore advice to have a relaxing Christmas.
No Christmas present from Santa this year.
hahaha...

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news/2007/01/08/todt_wants_driver_rivalry_at_ferrari/

Todt wants driver rivalry at Ferrari
08 January 2007

Ferrari team boss Jean Todt has said that Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa "are free to duel" on track this season provided that their rivalry benefits Ferrari. Ferrari has taken much criticism for issuing driver orders in the past, especially after the controversial ending to the Austrian Grand Prix in 2002.

"It will be healthy if the two drivers compete against each other which could achieve great results," Todt told the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

However, the Frenchman warned his two young drivers not to get too carried away whilst vying for the top spot that Michael Schumacher ruled for so long.

"We will be sure this does not turn destructive. The ambitions of Ferrari come first, and Raikkonen and Massa know this rule all too well," he added.
well, smart JT, this will fit post-schumi era. Let both driver have fair fight, the better driver stay.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
oh, cant wait til the 1st race of the season.

i missed F1 so much! cant bear anymore...

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Its real weird seeing Kimi in red of Ferrari. I used to be a great fan of Kimi, but now i don't think i will be supporting him much.

BTW, anyone managed to buy any cheap F1 tickets for the Sepang GP? I got mine at RM299 per ticket.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
on the other hand, Alonso...

(told you so, Ron Dennis will not allow driver with long hair, or appear in front of the media without shaving...)

there you are, the new Alonso look.

News
McLaren was worried by Alonso's style
12 January 2007

McLaren was worried that Fernando Alonso's unique driving style might not suit its car before the Spaniard made his test debut for the squad in December. Alonso's style is quite distinctive with a more aggressive turn into corners than other drivers.

"Everyone at McLaren recognises Fernando has a very particular driving style," McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh told Autosport. "He has a relatively aggressive application of the steering lock and we were worried his driving style might not translate into another car."

"Happily that wasn't the case - it was a big relief to both of us," he added. "In particular it was a big confidence-boosting opportunity for Fernando."

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I remember DC's days at Mclaren whereby he's always been a clean cut, nicely shaved driver. When he switched to Red Bull, he was spotted having a goatee.

The same goes to Alonso, who's always had that Robert pires goatee with long curly locks.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear All Sifu Sifu,

Hope you guys can help me with this problem.

I'm using Toyota 20V Silvertop manual transmission. I have this problem since the 1st day when my car is out from the garage after chaging the Engine.

Some plp said is the Air flow mask. Change it still the same. Some said , throttle body dirty. Serviced it already still the same. Some said ECU, changed it but still the same. I really pening liaw. Send it for Dyno tune for S-ITC & S-AFC, power damn good but still...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience