Evo masters , pls advice

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
2.if u wanna see how bad the water drain from the radiator....
-(do this test when the temp was cold)..open the radiator cap..then start the engine...after that run the rpm in fast time couple times about at 2-2.5k rpm...concentrate at the radiator cap housing at the radiator..see if the water from radiator being push out or not at a length about more than 5-6cm above the radiator cap housing...if yes that sign is because the head is 'bengkok' coz of overheating that can cause the water disappear into the block or through the gasket...

Hi Not Bad,
if say,the radiator being push out as you said 5~6cm above the radiator cap and the head (head?) is bengkok, then what shall i do? As Pablo advise, change the cylinder head gasket (metal head gasket)?

Thanks

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
2.if u wanna see how bad the water drain from the radiator....
-(do this test when the temp was cold)..open the radiator cap..then start the engine...after that run the rpm in fast time couple times about at 2-2.5k rpm...concentrate at the radiator cap housing at the radiator..see if the water from radiator being push out or not at a length about more than 5-6cm above the radiator cap housing...if yes that sign is because the head is 'bengkok' coz of overheating that can cause the water disappear into the block or through the gasket...

Hi Not Bad,
if say,the radiator being push out as you said 5~6cm above the radiator cap and the head (head?) is bengkok, then what shall i do? As Pablo advise, change the cylinder head gasket (metal head gasket)?

Thanks

James, if head bengkok, then need to look for a good used head liao ... metal head gasket can't save it also ... :biggrin:

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
James, if head bengkok, then need to look for a good used head liao ... metal head gasket can't save it also ... :biggrin:
ALAMAK!!! But how to tell head bengkok??? Ive just check my car compression and everything looks normal...Can tell whether the head bengkok or not thru compression test (where the mech take out the plugs and put a gauge meter and crank the car)?:banghead:

keisukosan

Known Member
Aug 18, 2006
ALAMAK!!! But how to tell head bengkok??? Ive just check my car compression and everything looks normal...Can tell whether the head bengkok or not thru compression test (where the mech take out the plugs and put a gauge meter and crank the car)?:banghead:
check compression is for leaking of head gasket,i think check compression wont know tat head got bengkok or not cuz for me is a bit hard to know even that u r not try to test at road so wont know it,u try take up the dipstick see weather the engine oil got brown colour or not if got that mean u have to change a used head oredi.....this my cests:listen:

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
check compression is for leaking of head gasket,i think check compression wont know tat head got bengkok or not cuz for me is a bit hard to know even that u r not try to test at road so wont know it,u try take up the dipstick see weather the engine oil got brown colour or not if got that mean u have to change a used head oredi.....this my cests:listen:
Alamak??? Then how to get a head (do u mean the block?)? Can i just find a engine kosong a replace the block?

Will it be a major work? if prolong the problem what will happen? Since there is no sign of brownish color frm my engine oil, should i change to a thicker metal head gasket?

Lastly,is Evo 5,6,7,8,9 all the same?

Mistaken_Identity

2,000 RPM
Aug 11, 2005
Johore Bahru
Alamak??? Then how to get a head (do u mean the block?)? Can i just find a engine kosong a replace the block?

Will it be a major work? if prolong the problem what will happen? Since there is no sign of brownish color frm my engine oil, should i change to a thicker metal head gasket?

Lastly,is Evo 5,6,7,8,9 all the same?
Don't worry bro....Pablo have the head c/w 272 HKS cam for sale..!!!! Just plug & play jer..!!!:driver::driver:

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
Don't worry bro....Pablo have the head c/w 272 HKS cam for sale..!!!! Just plug & play jer..!!!:driver::driver:
Haiyoh...But Pablo stuffs is for Rocket lol...Where can a car put in a Rocket parts...hehe

MI ah...Ive heard so much abt you but belum betui betui meet you in person la...Bila jumpa next time i fill up form and join TTS Club ya...:love:

Not_Bad!!

Known Member
Apr 24, 2008
cool down bro!!...hehehe

exactly theres a lot of checking need to be done for buying a car that more than 5 years old coz before that maybe the car being fix with so many teory or skill but it always can be solve....

statement to support my thought...did u guys ever heard someone saying that with taking out the water thermostat could cool the engine temp better?think most of u have heard it..but what we doesnt realize that something is create for some purpose like this thermostat is using by separating the cool water n hot water in the engine...that will make sure the metal life at the block can be longer without easily being crack or something only coz about the water temp...
that is 1 example statement...

what i am saying is....u can done lot of test,u can see many sifu but just relax..enjoy the car as u are the new owner after buying it...hehehehe...

head will not easily bengkok...what i mean about the test,when u see if the head bengkok the water are being push out so high from the radiator till it could splash at ur face if u put ur face above the radiator cap housing..coz when the head bengkok the compression in the engine will run into the water line..thats why the water being push out...then the engine oil will be changing colour like 'lumpur' mud coz the water got into it for some cases...

think the best u need to bring it for major checking first....
the water could be gone at many places...
-waterpunp
-waterpump pipe
-radiator hose
-bypass hose
-water jacket(this type of leaking could be the 'devil among others}coz this part is like a 50cent coin size..got many at the engine block n some engine also got 1 pc at the block that sit between the block n the gearbox means need to take out the gearbox then u will find it...

so,just standby some extra cash for this type of major checking so u could enjoy the car as u are the new owner?opsss...forgot asking u have bought the car already or not??hehehe....maybe 'berapi' after this at the road front of ur house.....hehehe

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
Haiyoh...But Pablo stuffs is for Rocket lol...Where can a car put in a Rocket parts...hehe

MI ah...Ive heard so much abt you but belum betui betui meet you in person la...Bila jumpa next time i fill up form and join TTS Club ya...:love:
Basket MI ... that head jual already laa ... tarak $$$ maa .. so convert back to original stock head.

Btw, James ... E5-8 head same ... E9 difference is that the cams are Mivec so have oil drillings for the mivec on the head. If want to use, kena plug. But what i heard from mechanics is that it's not so easy to plug (or ensure that the plug is seal tight for the oil).

Head is head (it holds your valves, springs guide, camshafts). Short block is short block where your crankshaft, piston rod and piston is). Both of the are separated by the metal head gasket.
Both Head + short block is called complete engine (or sometimes referred as Long Block) .... :rofl::rofl:

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
very good explaination; in this case, I maybe also having similar sypmtoms too.....but in a way if your compression is OK.....try to be just a little bit more conscious whenever u go for speedruns, and standby additional water just for filling up....

mine is even worse....the white water bottle fully filled up always kena suck dry after some SIC track days.....it can dry up so fast dat....even by re filling up again....by the time i get back from SIC to home....it is dry again....need to refill 1 more time....then everything is OK

so far this symptom has been around for 3 yrs I would say.....mech has checked on it....but still OK la...touchwood, n engine is still strong going :D

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
DD, maybe it's time for u to upgrade your head studs TOMEI or ARP. Maybe the cylic fatigue life for your studs already reach the end liao ..

Mine after changing the studs to ARP along with the metal head gasket no more the sypmtoms u mentioned above liao. Of course i running on pre-mix coolant without water. Hardly any need to top up. From service to service, renew the pre-mix coolant. Just sharing some info.

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
good point !!!! you are spot on PABLO.....the head was modded with full cam kit just minus the studs which i missed out on ......yes talking abt headstuds, my bro did remind me b4....I guess now since this has been brought up, it could be very well the root cause to the scenario I am facing.....anyways thanks for sharing your personal exp. too Pablo, again, very good n detailed spot on explaination !!

SatriaCKC

Known Member
Mar 27, 2006
you are all my heroes man... A million thanks .. I think i identified the problem already.. Should be the head gasket.(never though of that though) First i was worries about the crack in block. I'm much relieved now... Fingers crossed , i shall be a new MLOC member soon..

victorlaw

May 16, 2006
Nice thread.... ^^ I too bought an Evo 5 around 4 months ago. As its an old car, there is bound to be wear n tear parts. Spent quite alot of money in this 4 months also. No choice. Have to set aside abit of cash for that.

In order to really enjoy the car, no choice but to bring it up to tiptop condition again. Or else it can be rather frustrating...

Not_Bad!!

Known Member
Apr 24, 2008
hmmmm.....how to say...pro n con buying these performance cars...even bought a recond E8 from the showroom also spend lots lots of money also....this is because MLOC 'otai'2 car on the road lorrr...makes us wanna transform our ride like their superb eye catching ride too...hehehehehe....sorry guys...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

No, we're not referring to the BMW 328 as seen in the E36 and E46 generations. This is way before it. BMW is paying its tribute to the first sports cars in its portfolio. Made in the 1930s, the BMW 328 was equilavent to the BMW Z8 in modern days. The BMW 328 Hommage is built to identical looks to the older car, however its lightweight philosophy has been enchanced with the use of Carbon Fibre plastics as...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience