Ever lost faith on your car??

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
no matter what car you driving, had you ever lost faith in your ride? unfinished problem coming that cost you lots of repair fees, time, and caused you cant sleep at night and kept thinking what caused that problem(i will be like this)...

driving a turbocharged car since i got my P license , being known that, this little snails tends to cost me higher maintenance and sometimes do bring me headache problem..... however, since poisoned by the "G" , you just cant stop and only can try to solve the problems it cost....

furthermore, the engine that i turbocharged now is well known as NA high rev Vtec (b16a), sometimes even unreliable already in highly modded NA form , still , i charged it up...... the 1st 2 times, using stock internals, 2mm head gasket, boosted 1 bar, ecu sot sot, piston ring groove crack.... fine, make a full rebuilt, fully forged internal,change ecu to hondata, boosting fine, few days later after dyno tune, car tends to misfire a lot and cant rev past 5.5krpm....

ok, time to upgrade ignition, msd blaster ss coil, msd cables , it solved temporary, few days later, problem came again:banghead: nvm, wait for after next upgrade then solve it (should say next salary pay out:biggrin:)

ok, time come, set of mild cam shaft, upgraded spring, power belt, msd 6al.....all in.... dyno retune time, pop pop pop. misfire still occur, damn:banghead: checked, and the tuner use jumper wire to add earth, ding :nurse: problem gone...... after finished tuned, hondata tend to offline everytime wanna do data logging, i also dunno why....tuner also dunno why....after all...i spent 600 again to buy set of good earth system from him... problem not exist for the moment...

again...recently , when ever i tend to boost and wanna rev, till 5k rpm, car will choke and not rev more, large pop sound appear like intercooler pipe leaking and check light on....i checked all the piping, earth wires, ecu, all ok, but problem still occur....make me cant stop thinking what cause this, and make me think should i make it back as b20 na vtec ? sometimes really sad and lost faith in own car built....haiz.. nvm, try to open plug and see, this time i think i found the little problem, the 1st plug, UNTIGHTEN, with a plug opener, by just using half of the torque applied to open mineral water cap, the plug just opened.... no wonder i kept having rough idle these few days and rough cold start idle (i tot mild cam cause it) ... however, after tighten the plugs, i still not yet tried it....... hope it can kept my faith on this hard built....

so guys, i almost lost faith on my car, do you?:wavey:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Your problems are a 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Mine is just a 5. Lost faith - only if I don't have the time to fix it myself. I have lost faith in mechanics out there ever since I learnt how to fix cars myself.

Problems aren't never ending, just need to backtrack the problem to the source and fix it. I unfortunatly don't have the time or $ to fix most of my problems which are small minor nuisances though.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thanks for sharing bro... Wow I really feel you.. Spent so much time and money on your car and yet it gives so much problem. If me, I wouldn't guarantee that I wouldn't lose faith.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
wow like pampering a girlfriend you have to have faith, patience and the most important of all love for it. Peterj i salute you.

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
PeterJ, send yr vtec turbo to Avantech.

They got a very fast vtec turbo drag machine and they r quite famous in drag competitions.

If u dun mind paying professionals to solve yr never ending problems, then i think Avantech is the right one.

p/s: i dun have any experience with Avantech, maybe their customers here can give some review.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The more power you want the more problem arise especially when the parts are not meant to be boost.
For me my VR did have a snapped timing belt before, but already 13 years with the car, so quite normal for those wear and tear items....

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
PeterJ, send yr vtec turbo to Avantech.

They got a very fast vtec turbo drag machine and they r quite famous in drag competitions.

If u dun mind paying professionals to solve yr never ending problems, then i think Avantech is the right one.

p/s: i dun have any experience with Avantech, maybe their customers here can give some review.
haha...2 months ago, they did come here to tune my ride for your info:wavey: but that time using a much laggy gt3037s on a 1600cc lol.... now switch using responsive gt2568 from tong turbo..lol

this morning go test again, problem still existed... arghh.. fed up then go to the tuner place, plug in laptop, drive otr, few rounds, he kept ask me what my boost level, i said 1 bar since low boost mode and i din adjust it.....the last round ,he ask me see the boost meter (sorry, normally no time to see the boost meter when vtec + turbo kicks in yo) ..ok, finally found the problem, boost cut, boost shoot all the way till 1.6 bar , omg, reached the boost cut level...

back to garage checked, wastegate vacuum hose (ori samco) melted, wastegate not open:banghead: lucky got set boost cut ,changed new hose and reroute to cooler place, still not suitable to boost it yet since heavy rain, lol.. hope it can solve the problem:driver:

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

The more power you want the more problem arise especially when the parts are not meant to be boost.
For me my VR did have a snapped timing belt before, but already 13 years with the car, so quite normal for those wear and tear items....
agree, that is why i upgrade damn hell lots:nurse:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
OMG! lucky got cut, if not, over boost engine blow woh! Mine still original half cut, very low boost of 0.6 only....:slug:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Even the F1 teams with practically unlimited budget and tons of know-how had problems boosting the standard 1.5 litre inline-4 in the '80s... :biggrin:

I found a very interesting old documentary on youtube about this topic. A really good old-school presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbB1qwhKaaE

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
OMG! lucky got cut, if not, over boost engine blow woh! Mine still original half cut, very low boost of 0.6 only....:slug:
2 litre man, it is 2 litre

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

furthermore, b16a is well known as torque less wonder

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
There is a solution to every problem. Perhaps, you should get your car
thoroughly check by honda / turbo expert. There might be a setup error somewhere.
B16b is a torqueless wonder while turbo setup usually has more gain in torque. Quite complicated mix and match job. But I reckoned it will be a great satisfaction once you get your car to the desired reliability level.

Btw, man don't call their ride a 'babe' for no reason.
Apparently, problem on ride is akin to a girlfriend throwing tantrum. You have to do your
best to put her in place...lol.
A problematic car is like a girlfriend which always give you a headache... at one stage, you may need to rethink the whole option :driver:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
There is a solution to every problem. Perhaps, you should get your car
thoroughly check by honda / turbo expert. There might be a setup error somewhere.
B16b is a torqueless wonder while turbo setup usually has more gain in torque. Quite complicated mix and match job. But I reckoned it will be a great satisfaction once you get your car to the desired reliability level.

Btw, man don't call their ride a 'babe' for no reason.
Apparently, problem on ride is akin to a girlfriend throwing tantrum. You have to do your
best to put her in place...lol.
A problematic car is like a girlfriend which always give you a headache... at one stage, you may need to rethink the whole option :driver:
reliability is not an issue now since getting 280whp 280nm low boost 330nm 300whp high boost,done several drag sesson, and i use it for daily drive..... lost faith is because, by the time u think she is perfect and reliable and ready for you to whack her, sometimes it just had some small problem caused you cant whack her, just like the period suddenly come:biggrin:

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Touch wood, I never come across problematic cars which I owned...

Its like a bonded relationship you must have for your car, and probably it will not let you down...

If everything fails, far too often, then its better to open a new chapter, once and for all...

That is to change the car!

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
reliability is not an issue now since getting 280whp 280nm low boost 330nm 300whp high boost,done several drag sesson, and i use it for daily drive..... lost faith is because, by the time u think she is perfect and reliable and ready for you to whack her, sometimes it just had some small problem caused you cant whack her, just like the period suddenly come:biggrin:
Glad you got your problem fixed, and cool man, 300whp, mine only 200bhp....:banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just wondering, a car that came stock standard inline 6 converted to a powerful inline 4 (lets say cefiro A31 convert RB20 to SR20), will the handling be significantly improved? i heard that some SuperGT cars does this.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience