Electronics eng in automobile industry

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
As far as i know mechanical was the 1 closest to automobile at once... But now it seems that cars are using many eletronic systems, gadgets n controls...

So can electronic engineering hav good future in the automobile industry?
Any seniors or engineers here? I'm in dilemma now choosing mech or electronic eng...:cool:
Coz i feel that electronic is playing very big roles in a car now... Kinda bored wif mech... But i don't know how true izit la...

yuh_woei

Known Member
Sep 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Dont think they will let the "Electronic car" come out soon althought it have been created...., coz they still want to earn money ..... in 20 years..... i think they will try to create something new also lah....... everyone want to survive mah

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
hmm...u dun get my meaning...i dun mean an electronic car. i mean electronic stuffs like the ECU, ABS systems, wirings, n etc......

Basically the parts that involves electronic. Not that the car use electricity to move w/out an engine.... i dun think so it'll be possible now also..

s15

1,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2004
KayElle,JayB,Sg
www.revsaints.com
actually mech engineering got very few stuff that touches car stuff
if u really wanna go for it
dun think malaysia provide this course

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
go for mechatronics lo... can touch both side... if ur employer ask u major in what, u can tell both side ma... but of coz ur knowledge in both will be 'half-full' only lar... except if u hardworking enough to search for more knowledge besides jz passing ur exams...

ExtremeRC

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
I use to have the same kind of thinking, take up Mechatronics, modern cars integrates alot of electronics and mechanical stuffs...but heck, it doesn't work cos like mentioned, Major in something more specific instead of many (Master in all trades = master of none). Before deciding, let's look at the few questions below:

1. Between electronic parts (ECU, ABS, and etc) and mechanical (engine), which will go through wear and tear more often?

I'm sure you know the answer yourself rite?!

2. Between electronic and mechanical parts, which cost more?

Electronic components are basically cheaper than mechanical parts. Therefore, if let's say the ECU fails, the factory will not waste their time diagnosing every single component on the circuit board, instead they will change the whole damn ECU. Replacing the ECU can be done by mechanic, or even anyone who are trained. So, how important is an electronic engineer?

However, if you're talking about R&D, then it's totally another different story alltogether. You'll be designing the circuit boards, wiring, and etc. It's also hard to judge whether M'sia have the prospect of becoming an R&D based country. However, the choice is up to you. Choose according to where your strength and interest is, and do your very best to become the outstanding one. In that way, I trust that no matter which kinda engineering field you're in, you'll still be successful.

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
there's this term called 'mechatronics' in case u haven't heard of it. =Þ

P_driver

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
In malaysia don't hope to be able to design ECU, ABS, etc. Most of the time also will spend time on assembly line. Car industry lagi susah cari makan. For example proton for the first year pays damn low.
Best line i've ever heard.
Foreign lecturer : 'You malaysian engineers damn useless, everyday only know how to telephone order parts and sign MC for technician.'

Supachip

Known Member
Apr 9, 2004
puucuung
Well, electroic engineering might be useful in the "MULTIPLEXING" system in modern cars. Like system used in mercedez, BMW, peugeot, citreon, renault.......

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
Supachip said:
Well, electroic engineering might be useful in the "MULTIPLEXING" system in modern cars. Like system used in mercedez, BMW, peugeot, citreon, renault.......
Ya..tat's wat i tying to say....working in some place wic needs ppl who r...not to say expert but hav wide knowledge of tat field....:rolleyes:

To be simple..... For example... Civil engineer is completely out of automobile topic rite? So how near is electronic eng to automobile...No hope at all???

Of coz i know designing own ECU, ABS systems, n many bla bla systems will not happen in Malaysia rite now... I dun tink of goin tat far yet... as long as i can utilize my knowledge w/out getting gaji buta...:biggrin:

N my U here dun hav mechatronics... I know tat mechatronic exists but 2 bad they dun offer it here... N dun ask me to change U coz alr enter here for the foundation year.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway...make many things clearer now...:wink:

Last edited:

yuh_woei

Known Member
Sep 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
kher said:
hmm...u dun get my meaning...i dun mean an electronic car. i mean electronic stuffs like the ECU, ABS systems, wirings, n etc......

Basically the parts that involves electronic. Not that the car use electricity to move w/out an engine.... i dun think so it'll be possible now also..
hahaha...... sorry for the misunderstanding....... but "the electric powered car" is existed long time ago already....... only not prcatical..... cheers

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all kor kor n jie jie,ii'm just wanted to ask the difrence within kn air-filter n others air filter....anybody tell me?please...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience