EG still worth buying?

Jun 25, 2007
I'm currently driving a crappy 1.3 proton wira hatchback, which is... er ok", if u really just need a transport to bring you from a to b, but as a motorhead it really lacks the real excitement of owning something you can be proud of.

This leads me to considering the Honda Civic EG (90-93). Normally i wouldn't worry too much about owning a Honda as they're well-known for their reliability, but let's be realistic what we are looking here it's a more than 10 years old car.

At first i was considering of getting an EK but this prices ain't getting down for 2nd hands and manual trannys are hard to get nowadays. Any comments or precious advices from current EG owners? I will definately appreciate it~!

dc_vtec

500 RPM
Jun 15, 2006
you should buy it..
u wont regret...errr..wif b series yea..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
For the budget, you can't really go wrong with an EG.
After all, even for a 15 year old car, rust is usually not a big problem.

But think about your priorities. If you want a car that you can get from A to B without any need for speed, then get a MPV or something, or an old camry, etc.

I'd only say EG is worth buying if you want to modify it. Fix up the engine, change all those old bushes and fix up some rust spots and you're good to go.

After all, not many cars are as fast as the EG with B-series. (at least not within the price range)

There's also the option of GSR-RS turbo conversion for the wira... (since you already have a wira) which makes more hp at the wheels than a civic (than a b16a/b), but for me, the civic just feels better.. better feel, better shifting (no freeplay like mitsu gearboxes)

So for all out horsepower, perhaps the GSR RS turbo conversion is better. (you need to change the ratios for FWD use though.)

Still.. I like civic better. with big disc brakes conversion.. very nice to drive.

Ultimately, it is your choice.

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
Last edited:

ZTH

Known Member
Mar 25, 2007
I still love my EG, I've owned 2 civic and my JDM EG hatchback is still the one car that I love and proud of. I've the passion to drive it !

The thing that pissed me off is of course like other old cars VS new cars ( ceteris paribus ) = you need to fix / repair more = it'll spend more time in the workshop vs a new car (in general). BUT of course a NEW HONDA CIVIC now will costs you RM1XX,XXX VS RM 2X,XXX - RM 3X,XXX. I would like to keep my old CIVIC if I has another car to go to point A to B (to work) and my EG will be my weekend car / race car / hobby / my love.

I love EG hatchback !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Moreover mine was WHITE colour (FUHH!!!! sweet)

simplycomplexed

Known Member
Jun 28, 2007
redorzero.blogspot.com
I think old cars are always worth buying.
They feel rather......mechanical than modern cars these days.
That's mY preference lah. lol.

suduRed

Known Member
Sep 27, 2005
Bdr.Sri.Dmsara
10 years old car or smthing is doesn`t metter,even converted ek99specs outhere also most to 10 years wht?but still look nice instead of eg as i may say...as long we keep well in maintaning then we would satisfied it of course...from my deep hornestly i tell you cheeeeaa waaah, buy an EG B siries of course is more than worth for ya money....my uncent oppinion just go for eg 2 doors(more rock heheheheh)

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
not only EGs,...

any jdm rocks,... anyone with me?

hellboyz

Known Member
Dec 6, 2005
vote for EG9..EG9/EG6 better than waja,GTi,putra,Gen2,wira,...hehehe...Price for EG9/EG6 same wif standard EJ/EK3 price..but EG9/EG6 got B16A..dats make it hot...so better looking for civic dat alreaday hv B series..

ZTH

Known Member
Mar 25, 2007
B16A to B18C the most fun engine to drive around that's for sure for me!!

kikaider

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
KL
I recomend dont play car if you're tight on cash. You've gotta have a steady flow of above average income to play car.