Dongfeng in talks to buy stake in Getrag

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The Chinese auto industry is on a roll with possible penetration of the American market with an electric vehicle by one of its automakers, BYD. Now there’s talk that another automaker is looking to acquire a 30 per cent stake in German transmission maker Getrag. Yes that Getrag, the same one that makes the cog swappers for the Toyota Supra JZA80 and the Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R.

Details indicate that talks are underway and that the deal could be worth $700 million but don’t elaborate further. Getrag has apparently been in the market for a partner since Dana Corporation sold back its 30 per cent stake to the Hagenmeyer family back in 2007. That makes the family the sole owner of Getrag at the moment.

If the deal does go through, it would mark the first time a Chinese automaker has broken into the German auto sector. Some of the other automakers that get their transmissions from Getrag include Ford, Fiat, BMW, Noble, Porsche and Audi.

So does this mean that we can expect a Getrag transmission in the next Dongfeng offering, if the deal is shook on? That’s as likely to happen as the Lotus Formula One naming saga coming to an end soon but expect the transfer of transmission tech to some of the automaker’s products.

Source: Autoblog

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
what?? you have 6-speed getrag transmission??
yes... ;-)

whats with the smile, its made in china...
owh.. :-(

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Anyone has any idea how the insurance coverage is going to be if we do a auto->manual or manual->auto conversion to the transmission?

My auto box is giving me a headache so I was thinking of a replacement with a manual gearbox.
I know the re-sell value is going to be bad if I do that but my major concern is insurance.
The insurance policy stated chasis and engine number but I didn't find gearbox number on it. :hmmmm:
Anyone has this kind of experience before?
Please share...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience