DIY Underdash NEON (Cheap using computer parts)

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Was walking about Low Yatt and saw some good offer for Neon Lights. 70% off :D This DIY can be argued to be Ah Beng or as a cool decoration.. but whatever it is... :P as long as we are happy can liau la..

These are standard PC neons.. This is from Cooler Master. Since I did not modify my computer ever since busy working with company notebooks.

As this was for PC, there is a controller box with a PC back panel... Simple.. I took the panel out by removing the 2 screws.. and I bang them using a hammer and install it back (Steps not shown).. NOTE : do not bang them with the PCB circuit on to avoid breaking it.

I am pulling the power from the wiring to Ciggrette LIghter Socket... Removing the panels to it is soooo simple because I already learnt it the hard way from my DIY-AUX Input tragedy.. hahah.. Just need to remove 2 screws.. the rest are just SNaped ON.

Trial Run after I strap it on.... Okie.. looked good.

ahem... the hard part of the installation wasn't shown here.. that is to have the main Neon ballast to be nested behind the dash... and the 2 wirings to the neons pushed thru....

This is almost the part where it is almost completed.. You can see that I have removed the sound proofing to enable me to TIE the neons on it. The controller is seen here.. dangling.. not fasten down yet.

Sound proofing installed to the original position, The controller also fastened using Double Sided tape.

Picture showing passenger side's neon

The controller box looked too.. revealing as it was Silver in colour.. Should have sprayed it first... so I "Stealth" it by adding Black Matt Stickers...

DONE... looked not so obvious now.. hahaha

Check out the video of it working and blink syncing with music.

[youtube]QZ1cboouECc[/youtube]​

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
the "ballast" as u call it is actually called an "inverter"...recommended to put in a well ventilated place as they do get hot and are notorious for burning out.

and if u want the lights to be brighter, recommended to get other brands instead of Cooler Master. CM has the least bright CCFLs around (which can be a good thing coz their inverters tend to last longer than most other brands)