DIY: IACV cleaning.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Well, if you start having idling problems, one of the possible problems is the IACV. Usually this is the easiest to do, so I start with this first, if this fails, then it's checking the intake vac lines for leaks (various methods to do this, but depending on method, it simply shows if you have a leak or not, not where.)

In my case, idle was 'sometimes' rough, so I took the time to do it today, and decided to do a DIY writeup about it.

What the IACV does is regulate the air coming into the intake when idle, hence the name. Honda manuals call it the EACV, since it's electronically controlled, but I know it as IACV, because Intake Air Control Valve is something I can recall, while I have no idea what EACV is a shortform for.

First things first, identifying where it sits. Two 12mm bolts hold it to the intake. Take those out AFTER you remove the plug.

First, I remove the plug (the green one, it's a plug with clips so remember to press the tab before removal). Then I removed the two 12mm bolts.

I removed the brake vacuum line for easier access to remove the IACV, but please REMEMBER to put them back.. THIS IS YOUR BRAKES.. expect lousy braking performance (to the point of it being dangerous) if this hose leaks or you forget to put them back.

Then again, your idle should be way off when you start your car with this disconnected, so if you actually hit a tree because you forgot to put this back on, and ignored the way the engine was idling, you should probably leave ALL work to a mechanic.
This is the picture of the IACV with the coolant lines still connected.
You have to clean the two holes only, and the two holes on the intake.
You can use an intake/carb cleaner to do that.
but since I felt like taking it out, I did.

Those are the two IACV holes, they are usually caked with oil residue and dirt (if your filter not filtering properly, this is where some of the dirt/sediments ends up. The oil vapour comes from the breather hose from the valve cover, so that's why running an oil catch tank helps to reduce this maintainance somewhat.

I removed the two coolant lines, and the two bolts that hold the IACV. make great plugs to prevent more of your coolant leaking out. I forgot to take pictures of those, so use your imagination.

With it removed, this is how it looks like.

I cleaned up the holes of the IACV port on the intake and IACV, and this is how dirty is was. I also changed the dual o-rings, but they were actually quite okay in the first place, and is reusable, but I don't take this out everyday, so might as well do it right now. I put some RTV sealant, but that's not really necessary.. just something I do for better seal.

Well, 100,000km of travel would probably be a good indication of how it got that way, not to mention I do not use a oil catch tank, so oil vapour from the valve cover goes through the breather pipe and gets piped back into the intake. Over time, it will clog, so then you start to get idling issues, like too low an idle. That's why this is first, before everything else, because this is a usual cause of idling issues.

Though not really necessary, but I also tested the circuit of the IACV to see if it's healthy, and from the readings, it checks out okay, so no problems there. but the high reading shows it's age, as it gets older, connections will deteriorate, and when it gets more than 15ohms, it's time for replacement. Either that, or ditch it completely (means your ECU will not correct idling speed based on electrical, powersteering and a/c load, so if you own a race car without those.. why run an IACV?) but you need a standalone to be able to turnoff an IACV error code so it runs proper. (Hondata has that, Crome, I dunno, I think probably yes.)

Install them back the way you took them out, and check all fittings and hoses to see that they are tight if you removed any. Start the engine, and your car should idle fine from cold-idle to warm-idle.

Assuming that the source of idling issues is the IACV, you won't need to fiddle around with the idle screw. But slight adjustment maybe necessary. I didn't do it because I need to remove the filter pipe to do it. Kind of simple, if you worked with motorcycle carbs before, you'd know this by heart.

I'll add this part with photoes when I actually remove the filter pipe or something, for now, it will end here.

If it doesn't idle fine, and your idle cycles, it's time to check the vacuum lines for air leaks, which takes quite a bit of time. Sometimes the vacuum leak can come from the intake gasket, but that's of a very low probability. That's why vacuum leak test comes second. It's takes a lot of time to pinpoint. To identify that the leak exists is easy, to find where is the time-consuming part.

For those that enjoy getting your hands dirty.. happy working on your cars.

For those that don't, now you know what your mech does when he first troubleshoots idling issues.

Well, although I know how to do it, I'd rather pay the mechanic actually.. my hands are too big to remove it without sustaining some scratches and cuts. LOL!

Last edited:

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
nice write-up,... nice illustrations,...
also, normally the mech couple this with the cleaning of the throttle body,... rite?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
nice write-up,... nice illustrations,...
also, normally the mech couple this with the cleaning of the throttle body,... rite?
Thanks for the compliment.

Depends.. obviously if they do extra they charge extra, right? :P
Futhermore, like I said, the idle screw is easier to access with the filter pipe out of the way, so why not clean it at one go?

For me, I cleaned my TB a month or two ago, when I changed my filter and adjusted the slack of the throttle cable for full 100% TPS position. the IACV port in the TB still clean, so this round I didn't clean it.

Last edited:

darkemperor

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
did this once on my old f20 and found lotsa carbon on the mesh...idling was really sucks with the a/c on...fix back same problem, took the meter and check there was no supply to the solenoid...cis...didn't bother to fix since after 2 months got my h22 in.

thinking of doing mine, a little sag when on d4...but h22 iacv is not easy to reach like b16's....

bulet

500 RPM
Oct 24, 2006
Cheras
never clean it before in malaysia...how much it will be charge to clean this at workshop?

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
never clean it before in malaysia...how much it will be charge to clean this at workshop?
TB+EACV approx rm60 kotttt,... KL gua tak tau.

whahahha!!! bulet speak nipponese!!!
chun lah! later help me translate my Navi,...

bulet

500 RPM
Oct 24, 2006
Cheras
ill try la bro. ur navi can be use ka at malaysia?

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
ill try la bro. ur navi can be use ka at malaysia?
can use, compass direction is correct, but the backgroud map is japan,...
it is juz that the navi is shut off, but at certain places while i am driving(normally same place) it will switch itself on,... and a warning (!) signal displayed, maybe telling me that i'm heading wrong direction,... weirdly, most of the time at same location this will happen,... hehe!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Heh.. the japanese navi quite nice, but the last time I tried it, I was somewhere in south china sea, according to the navi.

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp
i did this before plus cleaning the throttle body using the carb cleaner. i can say its a very strong chemical product, can clean easily with that spray.

shiro, just wanna ask a lil, the two tubing is for what actually? coz mine got karat at one of the tube.... why aaaa

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The two tubing? Coolant pipe.

Yeah, the carb cleaner is strong stuff. Expensive, too.. lol. One can is a bit over 10 bucks for cheapo brands and can exceed RM20 for the more well known ones.

The bolts holding the IACV make good plugs for the tubes if you removed them.

If I can get my hands on a spoiled B16A IACV, feel gatal tangan want to disassemble and see what's inside.

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp
no wonder la mine rusting, for water... thanx shiro.

that day i gatal tangan also to open and see what's inside, but realising that i dun have a spare one, i simpan my tangan la.... hehehe

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
hahaha.. same with me. better crack open an already spoiled one.

I think the entire assembly comes out after we remove the allen key at the end, and the cap for the coolant lines, but unless open for real.. dunno la.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi morning all,

My fc has been very bad since recently for about 2 months+ . Previously it was able to go rm50 for 320km+ . Now it become rm50 200km onli. I check on many thing but still same.

However, i read some thread similar to my case, and some claim after change the "centre box/midbox" then their fc back to normal.
I just wonder is the midbox really affect fc that much ?

Im pretty confuse...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience