Dissapointment over 4G93 Power

cksiow

Dec 19, 2003
Alright, I've got my car back and gave it a run last night. Here goes my report of what I've felt / Noticed :

1. Don't need to floor the pedal too much to achieve the similar acceleration (town driving).
2. As what e819 claims , the 1.8 DOHC surely pulls away from the 1.6 SOHC at the higher revs.
3. When I slow down myself on a slope(descend), the transmission will automatically shift down from 4th to 3rd. Feels like the similar system find in Honda CR-V.
4. Speed CUT at 180kph.:cry_smile:
5. Engine runs at a higher temp.

Maybe due to higher expectations, thus i made the previous claim of "no improvement" . However, I still find that the Civic 1.7Vti (7th Generation) has a better response (everyday driving mode). Maybe due to the "smarter" transmission system that down-shifts when in need?

Oh yea, as i noticed those Putras, they have a double pipe ending exhaust. Does that have any difference compared to my single ended exhaust ? I still have the craving for a slight more power :tongwink: .

Please all Sifus, enlighten me on how to get more juice out of my 4G93. I would prefer a more responsive downshifts or early torque. Also, may i know what's the rated HP and the rev-cut point of a stock 4G93 ?

Many Thanks,
CK Siow

Last edited:

cksiow

Dec 19, 2003
whoa....I'm not thinking to have such a major mod. Just a light modification to the exhaust which can give me more power and a silent ride at the same time.

e819

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2004
cksiow said:
Alright, I've got my car back and gave it a run last night. Here goes my report of what I've felt / Noticed :

1. Don't need to floor the pedal too much to achieve the similar acceleration (town driving).
2. As what e819 claims , the 1.8 DOHC surely pulls away from the 1.6 SOHC at the higher revs.
3. When I slow down myself on a slope(descend), the transmission will automatically shift down from 4th to 3rd. Feels like the similar system find in Honda CR-V.
4. Speed CUT at 180kph.:cry_smile:

Maybe due to higher expectations, thus i made the previous claim of "no improvement" . However, I still find that the Civic 1.7Vti (7th Generation) has a better response (everyday driving mode). Maybe due to the "smarter" transmission system that down-shifts when in need?

Oh yea, as i noticed those Putras, they have a double pipe ending exhaust. Does that have any difference compared to my single ended exhaust ? I still have the craving for a slight more power :tongwink: .

Please all Sifus, enlighten me on how to get more juice out of my 4G93. I would prefer a more responsive downshifts or early torque. Also, may i know what's the rated HP and the rev-cut point of a stock 4G93 ?

Many Thanks,

CK Siow
try skimming/lighten ur flywheel.. sure itll gain responce.. or change 2 a bigger TB...

leongts

Jan 4, 2005
Hi cksiow,

IMO, you don't need to do anything drastic 1st. Mine is a manual 1.6l Wira and was quite sluggish. What I did was just change my stock 1.6 rear muffler to an ori 1.8 ones (read: twin pipe) bought 2nd hand from a fellow forummer.

1st thing I noticed after pasang the thing was exhaust note was lower (prrrrr instead of pssst). Next thing is highway cruise is more relaxed and FC improved quite significantly. But I drive like an ahpek on the highway so your result (if you want to change) may vary.

IMO, the ori 1.6 muffler was very restrictive to gas flow at anything above 2.5k (for 4G92P that is). So when I changed mine to a twin tip ones, gas flowed better at higher engine speed thus better FC as compared to last time (using ori 1.6 muffler). I normally cruise within legal h/w speed i.e. below 110km/h @ around 3k rpm.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards.

cksiow

Dec 19, 2003
leongts,
Read End muffler, do you mean by the "box" at the very end ? How much did you buy yours ?
I do agree with you on my current exhaust output note , it sings "pssst" as well. Your feedback would be much appreciated as our driving style are about the same. I'm not some speed freak, just want my car to be responsive in traffic. However, with this engine I'm able to reach 160kph effortlessly. At times, i forgotten that i'm at that speed !!!

Regards,
CK Siow

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
cksiow,
the twin tip exhaust is just that...twin TIP. the insides should be similar to the 1.6. another reason could be the fibrous material used inside the muffler to dampen sound.

since you said your car runs hotter, did you change the radiator during the transplant or just the engine? you need 2 fans to keep the water temp below the middle mark.

you want power? you need to focus on the basics of getting more air into your engine. period.

Stewart

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
kl
can i tumpang thread since all the sifus here.. can i know is the 1.6 SOCH and 1.8 DOCH fuel pump the same? because i still remain the 1.6 fuel pump after i change to 1.8. will it lack of power from there?

can V6 turbo fuel pump mod to my car?

thanks..

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Power for 4G93? I bought my GTI in year 2000 and the power is like what you said, so so only. Power is still ok for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears only. Once engaged in 5th, it is like the engine is dying where I feel the power is dropping significantly.

I have tried the following modifications:
1) Metal Gasket
2) Chip modified in ECU
3) Extractor (4-2-1)
4) K&N Filter
5) Platinum Spark Plug
6) Adjustable fuel regulator
7) Exhaust System changed
8) Semi racing clutch
9) Bigger spark cable

Eventhough with all the above mod, I lost out once to a wira on a highway. My speed was around 200km/h. I was easily beaten though. Later I found out that this guy had the same engine (4G93) but it is a original Mitsubishi with some modifications such as lighter fly wheel, heavy duty oil for engine and gear, and racing clutch, etc...

Many times, I was overtaken by those 'modified kaki' and I later decided to go for bigger performance engine i.e. to get a 4G93T. Now, this is what I called 'Power'. Ever since, I am not worried about modifying this and that. Bear in mind that to get the true power, you must mod the engine itself and not add this and that.

cooljas

500 RPM
Jan 24, 2005
GSR06 said:
Power for 4G93? I bought my GTI in year 2000 and the power is like what you said, so so only. Power is still ok for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears only. Once engaged in 5th, it is like the engine is dying where I feel the power is dropping significantly.

I have tried the following modifications:
1) Metal Gasket
2) Chip modified in ECU
3) Extractor (4-2-1)
4) K&N Filter
5) Platinum Spark Plug
6) Adjustable fuel regulator
7) Exhaust System changed
8) Semi racing clutch
9) Bigger spark cable

Eventhough with all the above mod, I lost out once to a wira on a highway. My speed was around 200km/h. I was easily beaten though. Later I found out that this guy had the same engine (4G93) but it is a original Mitsubishi with some modifications such as lighter fly wheel, heavy duty oil for engine and gear, and racing clutch, etc...

Many times, I was overtaken by those 'modified kaki' and I later decided to go for bigger performance engine i.e. to get a 4G93T. Now, this is what I called 'Power'. Ever since, I am not worried about modifying this and that. Bear in mind that to get the true power, you must mod the engine itself and not add this and that.
GTi gearbox r very weak in 4th n 5th gear...its becoz the ratio is too long....u need to have a very powerful engine to push it!

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
cksiow said:
g88,

I Bought the Half-Cut. Thus, gearbox , electrical wiring and all are from the 4G93 unit as well. Shall I change the brake rotors as well ? He says that the "hole" of the rotor doesn't matches mine. Can I retain my rotor but with the new Master Pump installed ? Will it improve my braking performance ?
your should be Lancer 1.8 NA sure PCD is different as it's running on PCD114.3 but your car is running on PCD100. Since yours is NA i think you can retain your stock 1.6 rotor and caliper as it's same as local 1.8 except your brake servo is single layer but 1.8 is double layer.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
e819 said:
try skimming/lighten ur flywheel.. sure itll gain responce.. or change 2 a bigger TB...
:emoticon_U: first time i heard autogearbox got flywheel hahaha...auto gearbox using TORQUE CONVERTER la..dun simply give wrong information if you not sure !! :angry_smile:

Cc bigger, displacement bigger, most powerful la :X-:

Of course since DOHC mah...high rev engine...have very good top end compare to SOHC :regular_smile:

3. When I slow down myself on a slope(descend), the transmission will
automatically shift down from 4th to 3rd. Feels like the similar system find in Honda CR-V.
Automatic gearbox behaviour. It's normal. Btw, can you share with me WHAT YOUR GEARBOX CODE/Model ?? It's located straight below your distributor.

4. Speed CUT at 180kph.

Can be settle by installing Apexi Speedmeter or RSM as it has speedcut removal :_:

How high compare to before ?? Care to explain ?

See, out of 5 point you have 4 PLUS points after upgfrade to DOHC....once you use to it you will enjoy the power....

Twin tip muffler is good for 1.8 SOHC or DOHC as it has more back pressure which improve your pickup. Alot 1.3/1.5 ppl also looking for this...good stuff.

PS : I have got a friend selling new twin tip muffler for Proton. He get some exhaust shop customise it base on original spec twin tip muffler..selling RM250. Proton original is around Rm450-500, i asked before.

Interest do PM me

Last edited:

cksiow

Dec 19, 2003
For my transplant, the engine is not from a lancer. Thus, pretty much of stock 1.6XLI stuffs are retained. The radiator is not changed, so this leads me to suspect the source of engine runing at higher temp. It's not too high, just a slight more then my old 1.6XLI temp. (ie: 91- 92 Deg ) Is it alright to run at such temp. ? or would it be other causing factor ?

Stewart,
Feel free to ask and tumpang. I would be more then happy to see and learn more, most importatly some new insights which i never would have discovered.

g88,
So, what's the difference of the pump ? How can i feel the difference ? Cause the mechanic had changed the master pump for me. But I felt the braking sensation is about the same. Please enlighten me.

Ahh....It's pitch dark out here now. Was back from work very very late, will get to share the Gearbox Code with you ASAP. Ohh... What i meant by downshifting is something like the "engine braking" sensation. So far, I find it applies when decending slopes, otherwise it won't downshift. ( Previous 1.6XLI doesn't do any engine braking automatically at all) Also, can you kindly elaborate what does PCD means ?!

Thanks for the offer of exhaust, will KIV !!

Regards,
CK Siow

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
cksiow said:
For my transplant, the engine is not from a lancer. Thus, pretty much of stock 1.6XLI stuffs are retained. The radiator is not changed, so this leads me to suspect the source of engine runing at higher temp. It's not too high, just a slight more then my old 1.6XLI temp. (ie: 91- 92 Deg ) Is it alright to run at such temp. ? or would it be other causing factor ?

Stewart,
Feel free to ask and tumpang. I would be more then happy to see and learn more, most importatly some new insights which i never would have discovered.

g88,
So, what's the difference of the pump ? How can i feel the difference ? Cause the mechanic had changed the master pump for me. But I felt the braking sensation is about the same. Please enlighten me.

Ahh....It's pitch dark out here now. Was back from work very very late, will get to share the Gearbox Code with you ASAP. Ohh... What i meant by downshifting is something like the "engine braking" sensation. So far, I find it applies when decending slopes, otherwise it won't downshift. ( Previous 1.6XLI doesn't do any engine braking automatically at all) Also, can you kindly elaborate what does PCD means ?!

Thanks for the offer of exhaust, will KIV !!

Regards,
CK Siow
CKsiow,
Check out the attached file. This is same of 4G92 gearbox gearbox code(model) & ratio. MMC uses different model of gearbox in their different model car even engine is the same. Also ratio is various according to gearbox model...same goes to Proton.

If my memory serve me well. Proton 1.6 uses single layer servo and DOHC uses double layer - much more higher pressure pump.

About PCD, you can check here http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/wheeloffset.html

Awaiting for your gearbox code la...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Incident report :

Date Stolen : Yesterday
Plate number : WBR 6106
Model : Nissan BlueBird SR20
Color : Blue Color with black sport rim
Note : Car belongs to a friend of mine, appreciate for you guys to keep eye on it. Please do inform me once found, if manage to find it :mad: . Let us keep our country clean from the sick bastard keep on steeling cars ...

Thank you in advance !
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience