cutting springs and titan

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Vigilant

Jul 28, 2004
OK just wondering here. I'm driving a vios currently and I would like to lower it a little and since it is permanent and I'm not planning to have it very low, I was wondering whether it is possible to cut the springs and then install titan abosrber.
I think the vios is currently around 5 fingers height and I would like to lower it to arnd 3 1/2 - 4 fingers and I place comfort as priority and next handling.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dude, you're better off getting the full Titan set, springs absorber and all. Or just use the stock springs. Cut springs may not necessarily be good and probably will damage your car if not done properly.

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by Vigilant@Jul 28 2004, 10:18 AM
OK just wondering here. I'm driving a vios currently and I would like to lower it a little and since it is permanent and I'm not planning to have it very low, I was wondering whether it is possible to cut the springs and then install titan abosrber.
I think the vios is currently around 5 fingers height and I would like to lower it to arnd 3 1/2 - 4 fingers and I place comfort as priority and next handling.
well, uh..

pls tell us what you want your car to be like, then we can recommend what methods to produce such a 'feel'

cutting springs is not the best thing in the world. ;)

Vigilant

Jul 28, 2004
I would like to have the suspension firm yet comfortable..somewhat like continental car. Body roll should be kept to minumum and oscillation across bumps removed.

I find that the vios height is a bit on the high side. I was quite surprise how high it was when I was driving the stock 1.7 civic. Seating myself on the car made me realise how low I was seated to the vios. However I feel that tall and fat cars (vios,altis, camry etc) do not look good lowered down too much unless it was fitted with a bigger size rim.

so what do you recommend? My springs are just a year old so I will feel a bit uneasy if i do not fully utilize them.

Possible to modify the titan shocks to coilover later on ...just wondering?

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
to have a continental 'feel'

maybe use back your stock springs,
but this will still have 'stock' amount of roll...

so this is our/your headache..

best to go for coilovers one shot..

because although it's possible to have OE struts first, then modify to height adjustable coilovers, but in the real world, it's not practical..

Battousai

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.durifto.blogspot.com
Vigilant... no offence dude, but yours is a big ask.

One solution I can think of to reduce body roll is to get a set of thicker anti-roll bars. But you must be careful on this because it could drastically change the handling characteristics of your car, so this is not a perfect solution.

On the other hand, lowering the car will reduce roll due to the lower centre of gravity reducing weight transfer. So if you use stock springs with OE style struts, but relocate the spring seat for a lower height, you will get less roll but probably bottom out over big bumps.

To avoid this, the solution is stiffer springs. Cutting your springs does increase the stiffness, but I wouldnt suggest this because you won't get uniform stiffness at the 4 corners.

At the end of the day, you will have to sacrifice comfort. And the most comfortable setup really is stock.

Para

Jun 29, 2004
imho, cutting spring is crap n farking risking.
never never cut ur spring!!! better use back stock if wanna cut.

hmmm.... playing with arb... that will be a real experiment. every driver have different preference n i haven't heard or read about ppl testing different arb size for vios.

if changing to coilover, it will be more practical to change the damper & spring all in 1 go. u don't wanna spend extra $$$ & time later to change again.

just my 2cents.