Convert option for EG sedan

mikro

Known Member
Nov 16, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
After many year of usage, the EG sedan giving problem such as engine hard to start (sick start) and the air-con sucks even after service (maybe not enough gas or the whole system got leak somewhere due to old age). The engine is using D series inline 4.

My question is if I want to a street use engine (prefer B series) that drink ron 95, What conversion is suitable into this EG sedan and how much will it cost me for total conversion( including engine and air/con + Power steering from front cut) ?

I welcome any suggestion and thanks for replying :biggrin:

SC79

Known Member
Apr 15, 2005
i m driving eg sedan 4 door, i did my conversion to B16A early march 09..price for my halfcut eg6 with lsd gearbox (rm7000), labour (rm1600)..total conversion (include jpj approved, belting, brake pad engine oil, gear oil, servicing aircon, etc) =rm10,4xx.00.
But i haven't tried pump ron95, just let my car drink ron97..

mikro

Known Member
Nov 16, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
hmm, did you install an rear disk to pass jpj? got using runner and change the compressor or use back the old one?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
normally when u get the halfcut, they would include rear disc brakes and fuel tank, so u need not worry about ur question above.

as for ron 95, my car has been on ron95. no problems. only if ur engine has been modified with high compresion pistons, only then will u suffer knocking with ron 95. if stock standard, no worries at all.

i believe it would be best to use everything from the halfcut (air cond, etc) since ur current is giving u problems.

freeman1314

Known Member
Oct 7, 2008
Since you prefer B series then common engine will be B16A.
Stock 16A should be able to take RON 95 engine without problem unless you mod it with higher compression.
If buy halfcut then they should include everything with rear disc brakes, dash board, air cond, gearbox and everything unless you opt to sell them back as loose parts.
For me I would compare which has better condition, coz halfcut might not come in all perfect or better thn your current condition. Like mine came with broken dash board so I use back my own.

mikro

Known Member
Nov 16, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
How about D-series engine?

Are they any good for daily drive and fuel efficiency compare to B series while allow occasionally open throttle?

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

How about D-series engine?

Are they any good for daily drive and fuel efficiency compare to B series while allow occasionally open throttle?

freeman1314

Known Member
Oct 7, 2008
Daily drive D series are also quite nice engine.
Although stock power it is not as high as the b series but still there are fans of the zc engine out there.
If budget is a problem and you just want it as normal daily drive you can consider a dohc zc which imo is quite nice for normal driving already but parts are a little bit hard to find compared to b series where you can find alot of parts.
P.S: dohc ZC turbo might tapao 16a vtec o.

All above is just my 1 kupang, let the real sifus give their opinion.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
not mght, definitely will outrun a b16a.

even a D series BOT will outrun a b16a.

D-series lacks the power if u ask me, perhaps mine was an auto, hence why i say that. futhermore, why do u need such a powerful engine for daily drive? it will only make u want to drive fast..

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

D-series lacks the power if u ask me, perhaps mine was an auto, hence why i say that. futhermore, why do u need such a powerful engine for daily drive? it will only make u want to drive fast..

freeman1314

Known Member
Oct 7, 2008

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Definitely will i guess(coz i never tries real d series BOT before so not really sure)
Why need powerful engine for daily drive, for me coz i do drive fast sometimes. Certainly not in heavy traffic but rather in some less or nearly empty roads. It's kinda of a way to release stress. But some it is their hobby to mod car:biggrin:

mikro

Known Member
Nov 16, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
In my opinion the car started to give problem, go in shop few times still cannot solve and problem here and there one after another, so might as well do engine transplant.... Actually for daily drive d series is good?.. in term of fuel efficiency.

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Get a B16A auto......its cheaper by about 1K - 1.5K than manual.....its good for the daily relaxed drive and for the occasional "sprints"....hehe,

Fuel economy is quite good, on RON 95 I can get about 120km on RM15 of fuel.

The down side is, u're a bit slower than manual B16's.....and the gearbox is a bit fragile, its fine for daily drives.....but if you "lenjan" alot the gears will start slipping at high revs (as I have learned)...huhu........but its cheaper to replace than manual gb (way cheaper).

I've even taken it out at Sepang for track day (but can be abit boring).....and it can be quite quick.....just put it in D2 all way....can get about 160kmh at the back straight...i have a video link if u're interested to see....

anyways....good luck in deciding..

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
Just my opinion, if u want power don't ever opt for auto. I once drove my friends b18c auto and it was horrible.

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Just my opinion, if u want power don't ever opt for auto. I once drove my friends b18c auto and it was horrible.
Agreed...if you want power, stay clear from Auto GB......but IMO I'd have to disagree by saying it's horrible....might be your friends car condition that led to your bad experience with auto Gb.......maybe you should try driving my car, you might find it not so horrible...:biggrin:..

mikro

Known Member
Nov 16, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
How much will it cost to repair the auto gear box of b16A? Because sometime unexpected happen, just to aid in deciding?

If 120km for rm 15, then 1 full tank can go over 600km is it strictly highway? how about city drive?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all,

I'm driving a wira 1.5 manual, when come to nearly stop then engine sometimes will stall once the clutch is pressed. This only happen when the engine is hot. If the vehicle is at idle, simply raise the engine speed above 2.5k rpm then release the accelerator pedal and the engine speed will drop below 500 rpm then it stalled. Air-cond or other accessories does not affect the problem.
I'm suspecting the throttle body is dirty, need to be clean, am I right? How much is the cost to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience