common problems

kimosxx

Nov 18, 2007
Hi all,

im new to this type of car trying to aim for a car that is quick,reliable,economical and still it able to push high numbers on the dyno all at a cheap price.

Ive stumbled upon a 1VIA 1991 seems like a good bargain but coming from Australia this car is imported. not knowing the background raises such questions which do worry me if im going to fork out 13,000.

It looks in top shape well looked after under first impression but i wont know how thrashed the engine is until i actually buy it!! the car does come with a 1 year warranty but id like to know what sort of problems will i be looking at if it is trashed or just general wear and tear problems which a very common. Id like to avoid any such problems to keep my car on the road before it happens.

Pictures of the car are linked below along with some background information provided by the importer.

http://www.jappartswa.com.au/cars/E7/E7_side_640.jpg
http://www.jappartswa.com.au/cars/E7/E7_rear_640.jpg
http://www.jappartswa.com.au/cars/E7/E7_engine_640.jpg

Black Top, Cat Back Exhaust System, POD Filter, Full Vertex Body Kit, BOV, 17" Mags, New Tyres, Sunroof - Excellent Condition - MUST SEE! - Includes 6 month Rego and 1 year warranty

Additional information:

113,000km on the clock but because of the engine conversion estimated 80-90,000km

the car had seen a CA18DET to SR20DET conversion (in aust)
also a automatic to manual conversion (in aust)

autopartsmalaysia

Known Member
Apr 2, 2007
you can always bring the car to a mechanic and ask them to do a compression test.
this would help in determining whether the engine is healthy or whether it needs
a rebuild because 1 or more of its cylinder is suffering from loss of compression.

also, you would want to check whether the car has been in any major
accidents before putting a deposit or purchasing the car.
A major accident might affect the car's handling and overall strength of the car's chassis/body

do check out nissansilvia.com - silvia, 180sx, 200sx, 240sx, and other hot import cars for more silvia related questions.
and maybe, just maybe you could find the car's previous history there (problems, accidents, etc).

im new to this type of car trying to aim for a car that is quick,reliable,economical and still it able to push high numbers on the dyno all at a cheap price.
p/s. High numbers + cheap price ; dont go hand in hand.

Cheers !

kimosxx

Nov 18, 2007
thanks for your help mate, ill definitely be checking more into the full details. when i do purchase it ill will be doing a full stage 0 before i take it to any highler levels.

I will check for previous history but i don't know how hopeful that will be lol the owners are Indian running a jap import company in Australia lol!

one last question will the fact that the engine had a CA18DET conversion to a SR20DET make the engine any weaker?

autopartsmalaysia

Known Member
Apr 2, 2007
thanks for your help mate, ill definitely be checking more into the full details. when i do purchase it ill will be doing a full stage 0 before i take it to any highler levels.

I will check for previous history but i don't know how hopeful that will be lol the owners are Indian running a jap import company in Australia lol!

one last question will the fact that the engine had a CA18DET conversion to a SR20DET make the engine any weaker?

No probs mate.

Why would the engine be weaker after the transplant ?
It wouldnt be weaker. I assume that when they transplanted the engine,
the engine that they used might be a s13/180sx SR20det.
Which would make it around 13-16 years of age.
Unless if its a blacktop then it would be slightly newer but would need require
a full engine check up prior to purchase to avoid any hassles/problems and
possibly forking out more $$$ in the future.

Just take your time and look around before buying a Silvia.
Since you're down under, why not look for a '89/'90 BNR32 GTR ?

just a suggestion. :burnout:

kimosxx

Nov 18, 2007
lol i wasnt sure as i say im not very good at the whole jap car network i own a volvo hehe. its grinding to to let it go i really love the beast but id like some sexyness and 4cyl/6cyl power at its best. I mean the volvo engine i have is great but its towing a 1.7tonne wagon lolzz!

I had plans of paying roughly 11.5k on the car and spending the rest 1.5k on fixing it back to stock or better. then ill start with braking/steering/power in that order :P.

haha trust me it still crosses my mind about skylines. the place thats selling the 1VIA also has R32,33,34's which one would give me more bang for my buck? feel free the check the site out tell me what you think.
Jap Parts Plus W.A. - Cars for Sale

p.s i think you have talked me into a skyline :D
reason i wanted a 180/silvia is becuase a mate showed me his seems like a little beast. but i think i should go something different to him.

autopartsmalaysia

Known Member
Apr 2, 2007
to get power reliably from an SR20 is quite tough as compared to RBs.

and also it will always be a tractor sounding 4 banger.

unlike the silky sixes from an RB which sounds so sweet.... mmmm

autopartsmalaysia

Known Member
Apr 2, 2007
also, try finding cars from the forums,

- nissansilvia.com
- skylinesasustralia.com

you'd have to pay a little bit more if the car is not registered yet (buying from a car dealer).
as compared to buying used from a private seller.

remember, to be patient and take your time
like they always say, good things come to those who wait.

haha.. cheers mate !

kimosxx

Nov 18, 2007
alright no problems thanks for your help i smell the end of a thread :D any who ill post back in this thread when i do buy a car! cheers and thanks agian

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
this is one great car...i will take it only after inspected it for body damage from accident...
wouldnt worry about engine though cause a good condition SR20 halfcut is easily available

kimosxx

Nov 18, 2007
haha ill check into it need to secure a nice loan first lolz.

kimosxx

Nov 18, 2007
i think i may have found the perfect car.
Black 180sx - Skylines Australia

im offering around 8.5k because of paint work and expiring rego. engine is in top shape being only ~80,000. only problem is the coolant tank is cracked.

autopartsmalaysia

Known Member
Apr 2, 2007
i think i may have found the perfect car.
Black 180sx - Skylines Australia

im offering around 8.5k because of paint work and expiring rego. engine is in top shape being only ~80,000. only problem is the coolant tank is cracked.

Car looks alright, have you got a quote for the spray job ?
I heard its pretty expensive down in Australia, 2-3k++
as their labor fees are very pricey. Maybe you would want to offer slightly lower.

as for the overflow tank, check this link out

>> JJR Alloy Radiator Overflow Tanks For Nissan S13 Silvia & 180SX - $135 Each! - Nissan Silvia

kimosxx

Nov 18, 2007
i haven't bothered with getting a quote for a spray job yet i guess ill do that tomorrow but how does 8k for the car sound ?

cheers for the link on the after market expansion tank looks easy enough.

Ill keep you posted on whats going on should be getting a loan this week and buying later this week. he is posting pictures of the engine bay and interior soon so just check it every now and again tell us what you think.

autopartsmalaysia

Known Member
Apr 2, 2007
8k seems fair enough. Get the quote first ! lol
Are you going to get some bodykit and send the car for a complete spray ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Along with the D20 hatchback, BAIC also pulled the veil off the EV200, an electric vehicle (EV) version of the combustion engine D20. Unlike the D20, this EV200 comes in sedan form and its electric motor gives the car a driving range of up to 200km.

Similar to its D20 sibling, the EV200 is to be locally-assembled (CKD) either in Gurun or Pekan, and is the first right-hand drive unit for...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience