close deck / open deck

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
Does anyone here know what does it mean by close deck and open deck? how does it affect the performance?

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
open deck & close deck.. are u reffering to VTEC? SUBARU? ETC ETC?

* im using H22A Dohc VTEC. so my engine is = CLOSE DECK

*closed deck allows for sleeve support...essentially making a stronger bottom end.

* close deck is more reliable.

Open deck means that there is a water jacket between the cylinder walls and the block. Pros are better cooling. Cons are weaker cylinder walls.

Closed deck means it's solid between the block and the sleeves. Pros and cons are the opposite of open deck

CLOSE DECK

OPEN DECK

* as i know. if OPEN DECK = its you might can or cannot change the "SLEEVES" (might be hard,coz the rounding is bigger)

* as i know. if CLOSE DECK = its easy to change the "SLEEVES" (you can put forged pistons,bigger pistons sizes n rings,change to strong "SLEEVES".

just check the pics.. hope u get what i mean.

Please see below pic. this is Subaru EJ25. (this one not change SLEEVE,but filling in the blocks with billet aluminum using a special zero tolerance fit.)

before:

after filling:

1) There is nothing about a closed-deck block that would cause cooling problems. Honda uses an open-deck design for production/casting reasons, not just engineering reasons. It saves time and money during manufacturing.

2) Closed-deck blocks are also SIGNIFICANTLY more rigid than open-deck blocks.

3) If someone has had cooling problems with a block guard, I feel strongly that it was due to a poorly designed or poorly installed block guard, rather than any fundamental flaw in the closed-deck design.

Last edited:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
cool info... tks alot

polyxtroy

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
Finally anwered... good info bro

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
how to transform from open deck to close deck??... fill it up with metal??.... will make the engine block heavier??...

as for BOT on such engine, close deck has a better advantage??..

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
SkYwAlKeR said:
how to transform from open deck to close deck??... fill it up with metal??.... will make the engine block heavier??...

as for BOT on such engine, close deck has a better advantage??..
* thats y people change block. notice not .. b16 top .. b20 bottom. bla bla bla sumthing like that. :shades_smile:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

refer to the heading above, i am searching rear disc brake for my getz, any sifu can help ? where can find it?? since i know getz do come with rear disc brake for certain model just that the model is not sale in Malaysia, any chop shop or spareparts shops have it? or got some other rear disc brake which can pnp to the car? ZTH sifu pls help...:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience