cigarette lighter socket max current question

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Dear Sifus,

could i know what is the max amperage obtainable from the cigarette lighter socket of a car?
Is it as much as the lead battery is able to supply or limited to 3 amps ?
I have a device that needs 3 amps. If I consider the efficiency factor, I am trying to find out how much current or amperage is required from the socket.

thanks in advance.

regards
Richard :driver:

mcwk

Jun 15, 2009
This should depend on the rating of the fuse connected to the cigarette lighter, which may vary with different cars. You should be able to find out more from your manual.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
3A is ok la, i think cig lighter fuse is at least 5A...

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
sorry.... me blur blur got the idea of 3 amps...

while the ts said 3 ampere... hehehe...

my bad...

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
sorry.... me blur blur got the idea of 3 amps...

while the ts said 3 ampere... hehehe...

my bad...
Yes, I meant 3 amperes.

Thanks for all the kind advice provided. Greatly appreciated. :)

I will check what is the fuse in the car and increase it if necessary.

Cheers. :burnout:

Best regards
Richard Tan

mcwk

Jun 15, 2009
Yes, I meant 3 amperes.

Thanks for all the kind advice provided. Greatly appreciated. :)

I will check what is the fuse in the car and increase it if necessary.

Best regards
Richard Tan
Better not increase the fuse rating, as the wiring gauge (thickness) may only be rated to take a certain amount of current. If you have something that uses that amount of current, better get your car installer to hook it up directly to the battery, with appropriately rated fuse connected in-line, of course....

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Better not increase the fuse rating, as the wiring gauge (thickness) may only be rated to take a certain amount of current. If you have something that uses that amount of current, better get your car installer to hook it up directly to the battery, with appropriately rated fuse connected in-line, of course....
I am very grateful for your advice.:adore: Many thanks to you, Sifu. I think I better play safe and take extra precaution when dealing with high currents.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello member zerotohundred.com,

I new member on this site.ok..i want to ask u all about my car...i just buy car from car dealer.my car is Ford Laser '82 hatchback.(just fimiliar mazda familia h/back).i have rm 10000.00 to spend on my car.can u tell me what type of engine can put in my car???the gear box such racing type and also clucth can put into my car??and the JPJ inspection about modification,how to pass it or not???please help me to teach how to modify my car.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience