Can alternator be repaired?

andlfloh

Oct 16, 2006
My Satria 1997 1.5 auto using ngv has been having repeated problems with the alternator. Two months ago I had a Japanese imported used alternator fitted. Today the car won't start, even with a new battery.

Is a repaired alternator reliable?

Any views please?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My Satria 1997 1.5 auto using ngv has been having repeated problems with the alternator. Two months ago I had a Japanese imported used alternator fitted. Today the car won't start, even with a new battery.

Any views please?
You use chop shop ones? Usually by luck. I tried 2 of them and both lasted like 2 weeks only. I am now using recon ones and they lasted 2 years and price is slightly higher then chop shop ones only.
Why car cannot start with new battery? Have you check whether the alternator is faulty?

chromeibanez

Known Member
Aug 17, 2008
if it could not start even with a new battery means the starter also have a problem.alternator faulty will drain the new battery after it is starded.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Got no crank, then starter or even the solenoid could be faulty. If got crank then something or many things else.... :hmmmm:

aivenrolx

Known Member
Jul 30, 2008
if really is alternator..
i suspect it is alternator wiring...
previously my customer always face the alternator problem..
wira ngv..taxi..
1 days 24hour drive only...midnite rent to another taxi drive till morning...
lastly traced it was the wiring having problem

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
u are able to chang the carbon brush inside the alternator, u coud DIY or get your
mechanic to do it, but not all are willing to do the task unless u are close to him.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
u are able to chang the carbon brush inside the alternator, u coud DIY or get your
mechanic to do it, but not all are willing to do the task unless u are close to him.
My former Accord alternator, I thought could do as you mentioned, but actually after taking apart, some ic or diodes melted already so cannot just change carbon....:smokin:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point

Any views please?
did u change the alternator 2gether with batt. if yes, after u change alternator, the batt will gone after 1 @ 2 days depending, if after 2 weeks than only batt out maybe alternator just died. just buy recon ones ( it is still reliable, been using recon also 4 months already no prob, thinking 2 get it mod for higher ampere to cover my ICE usage) & change also the cable, try if u can get ur battery recharged coz it might still have hope & u can save money for other use this month, maybe next month or 2 only change.

andlfloh

Oct 16, 2006

Any views please?
Thanks for your comments.
It is the started solenoid which had to be changed.
Quite an experience to have 3 repairs in a row:
1. Gearbox seal leak - changing 4 litres of oil and 3 seals - costing $550 in Malim Jaya, Melaka.
2. Next, new battery when car couldn't start next morning. $240 for large one.
3. Then car couldn't start again. I thought it was the alternator since I had bad experiences with alternators for the past 9 months with car stalling in KL highways. This is another $150.

This is a one two three punch to the pocket.
Share with you all something I have not known as a car user for 30 plus years. I have never topped up gearbox oil before. Don't know where to top up. My car had only a little gearbox oil left after years of slow leakage. It is a wonder that the gearbox is not burnt out.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
dude....autobox oil needs to be changed every 20-25k km depending on how high yr rpm is on average driving...eg if u drive on hiway more often, need to change more often. if u drive at low rpm more often...then can try use up to 25k.

n what danz say is right. alternators can be sent for repairs. they normally just change the carbon brush n do a recoil depending on the condition of the copper coils.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
my perdana 4L kautim edi. no la, MTF change drained like engine oil & using a funnel with a long braided hose to fill up MTF.
normally pump used if for flushing gbox, usually used on perdana auto.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
ya...mine also just pour in cos the filler hole facing up. gen2 manual gb filler hole is sideway facing forward...saw my mech pumping in the other day....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I don't know how to explain this but I feel that my 4 wheels like went in abit .. that makes my car look abit weird .. the other day I park my car at somewhere beside there is a Wira .. I check his wheels and mine his of course look better and fierce .. because his wheels fit perfectly .. why is this? Different absorbers & springs combination different result? I also saw some satrias same as mine. I never done before any screw setting becos my front don't come with the screw.

can...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience