Can a computer subwoofer installed in a car??

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Can a computer subwoofer installed in a car??

ah-boy

Dec 2, 2006
1st of all,what is the purpose to install a computer woofer into a car while there are thousands of woofer available in the market?

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
1st of all,what is the purpose to install a computer woofer into a car while there are thousands of woofer available in the market?
Hmm , 1st , I am a student = Not Working > No Money > No car woofer
2nd , I want low frequency lah..
3rd , I don't need so big sub till outside also can hear..even the smallest sub , cheapest amp and pre-amp would cost me atleast less than 1k..
4 , computer sub woofers are active subwoofers..although car has active subwoofers , i plan to use my home sub since i have extras..:proud:

Bump: SOS..Can this thing been done??

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
yes it can be done

but then the amount spend, well, good luck....

what u need is the below.

A player that has rca out
a converter to change the rca out to audio out(normal audio jack) or to whatever your woofer accepts
a converter for 12V DC to AC (this is the one that is gonna cost you)
and some experience with car wiring.

might as well get one of those amp with built in woofers if u are not into heavy bass and only require that small amount of low frequency for sound tweaking.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
go get urself a real woofer bro , its more expensive to put a computer one
main thing is DC to AC convertor, its not cheap :)
a normal range woofer will cost u 200 bucks ? dnt need 12 inches, just get a decent 10inch

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
yes it can be done

but then the amount spend, well, good luck....

what u need is the below.

A player that has rca out
a converter to change the rca out to audio out(normal audio jack) or to whatever your woofer accepts
a converter for 12V DC to AC (this is the one that is gonna cost you)
and some experience with car wiring.

might as well get one of those amp with built in woofers if u are not into heavy bass and only require that small amount of low frequency for sound tweaking.
Okay , thanks alot bro..shall start saving money..but , atleast there is a posibilities..

Bump:
go get urself a real woofer bro , its more expensive to put a computer one
main thing is DC to AC convertor, its not cheap :)
a normal range woofer will cost u 200 bucks ? dnt need 12 inches, just get a decent 10inch
Oh okay..erm , specifically , normal range woofer are such as??..erm , is your normal range is an active sub..sorry noob here..thanks for sharing

wael

Known Member
Feb 19, 2006
www.mypanoramic.com
check out for yur sub woofer power supply. Usually computer subwoofer power supply will convert from AC to DC and what is output DC voltage?
If your DC voltage from your sub woofer are same with DC Car voltage 12v you can connect it directly instead to buy ac-dc converter.
But you must have a basic knowledge on electrical wire ring to avoid any wrong connection and can cause you a short circuit

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
check out for yur sub woofer power supply. Usually computer subwoofer power supply will convert from AC to DC and what is output DC voltage?
If your DC voltage from your sub woofer are same with DC Car voltage 12v you can connect it directly instead to buy ac-dc converter.
But you must have a basic knowledge on electrical wire ring to avoid any wrong connection and can cause you a short circuit
Hey , i checked..only got AC 230z - 250z..means , can't convert to DC right..

wael

Known Member
Feb 19, 2006
www.mypanoramic.com
Hey , i checked..only got AC 230z - 250z..means , can't convert to DC right..
if its not stated DC on the power requirement yes its not convert to DC, then you need DC to AC inverter but beware dealing with AC voltage its dangerous compare to DC.

personally i do not recommended to used AC power in car because afraid of electrical shock.

but its still can fix home subwoofer in to a car.

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
if its not stated DC on the power requirement yes its not convert to DC, then you need DC to AC inverter but beware dealing with AC voltage its dangerous compare to DC.

personally i do not recommended to used AC power in car because afraid of electrical shock.

but its still can fix home subwoofer in to a car.
Oh okay..have you experience/know anyone trying this before??..haha

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
looseand,
1st of all, you said you are a student, on what major?

If you got the idea, perseverance, ape2 pun boleh!
PC Subwoofer mostly use DC power supply INSIDE the woofer, so it's a AC-DC power supply.
If your PC Sub is a small one... i bet it only use approx 9-12V power supply (inside the woofer, have to dismantle it).... able to use car's supply.
BUT if your PC Sub is a big powerfull one, i think it use +48V 0V -48V (at least), that u need a super special DC-DC power supply (and i dont think it's cheap)

So, conclusion, for budget,
Still wanna use "Sub"
find a China/Taiwan brand Amp, recommend mono block for firing only subwoofer, a equalizer/preamp and a good woofer.
OR
i recommend use 6x9 speakers, they gives a good punch even without amp unit.

Just my 2 cents.....

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
looseand,
1st of all, you said you are a student, on what major?

If you got the idea, perseverance, ape2 pun boleh!
PC Subwoofer mostly use DC power supply INSIDE the woofer, so it's a AC-DC power supply.
If your PC Sub is a small one... i bet it only use approx 9-12V power supply (inside the woofer, have to dismantle it).... able to use car's supply.
BUT if your PC Sub is a big powerfull one, i think it use +48V 0V -48V (at least), that u need a super special DC-DC power supply (and i dont think it's cheap)

So, conclusion, for budget,
Still wanna use "Sub"
find a China/Taiwan brand Amp, recommend mono block for firing only subwoofer, a equalizer/preamp and a good woofer.
OR
i recommend use 6x9 speakers, they gives a good punch even without amp unit.

Just my 2 cents.....
Hi , erm , haven major yet but am studying business..hehe..

"So, conclusion, for budget,
Still wanna use "Sub"
find a China/Taiwan brand Amp, recommend mono block for firing only subwoofer, a equalizer/preamp and a good woofer."

From your statement , so i would just get an amp that firing on a subwoofer which is called a "mono block" and a pre and a good subwoofer..

besides , all my 4 speaker section have been occupied..where could i install an additional speaker??.external speaker box??..

Next , erm , not too sure about this..my player stated 45w X 4 , so i assume that it out is 45w on each 4 speakers , but i checked that the speaker i installed stated 100++w..so , does it mean the speaker can hold bigger watts which i can on the volume till the max as i could hear the high frequency sound of music outside of the car at 20 ( volume ):hmmmm:

thanks for helping..

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
Hi , erm , haven major yet but am studying business..hehe..

"So, conclusion, for budget,
Still wanna use "Sub"
find a China/Taiwan brand Amp, recommend mono block for firing only subwoofer, a equalizer/preamp and a good woofer."

From your statement , so i would just get an amp that firing on a subwoofer which is called a "mono block" and a pre and a good subwoofer..

besides , all my 4 speaker section have been occupied..where could i install an additional speaker??.external speaker box??..

Next , erm , not too sure about this..my player stated 45w X 4 , so i assume that it out is 45w on each 4 speakers , but i checked that the speaker i installed stated 100++w..so , does it mean the speaker can hold bigger watts which i can on the volume till the max as i could hear the high frequency sound of music outside of the car at 20 ( volume ):hmmmm:

thanks for helping..
business ah..... nvm

"mono block" is a term for amp (amplify one channel), not subwoofer...

and you occupied 4 speakers, all normal round speakers or oval speakers?

45W x4 means you got 4 output that can blast 45W of power MAX each.
100++W speakers... can no problem! as long as your speaker max watt is not less then your HU output power. And make sure your speaker ohm is not lower than your HU ohm, otherwise it will stress/burn your HU.

You mean high frequency sound means???? high pitch note or loud????

More info..... go do your home work 1st, more at http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/ice/

Hey.... simple-simple bring to car accessories shop and let it kaw tim, just need money.
no need headache la.......:stupid::stupid::stupid:

if then..can hifi speaker install in the car?2cent?
Can, but donno can withstand the heat when the car is under a hot sun.:biggrin: