Can 2 pot caliper cause disc bent?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Hi to all sifu and members.

As per title, can 2 pot caliper will cause disc to bent? This is what happened to me. As I'm use it roughly about 2 years plus, current it already my third pair of disc.
When start using it, everything is normal but after 3-4 month after that it start to produce 'tuk-tuk' sound when braking is slow speed. Especially brake at traffic jam.

For a long time, the disc become more bent and it start shaking when brake at high speed.
First pair, left disc bent. Second pair, right bend. And now third pair also start producing the 'tuk-tuk' sound.

Because of the shake while braking, my steering rack kong already. I've already plan to change steering rack this weekend, but when heard the 'tuk-tuk' sound again I don't want to sacrifice another steering rack.

So what do you guys think?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
At first I also thought about that. First and second pair if disc I use 1 set of bendix pad. For the third disc, I changed together with mintye pad.
Is is this 2 different level of brake pad also eat the disc?

lazariuk

Dec 26, 2006
Hi there...
I'm no expert in this but perhaps your master pump is not working properly in distributing the braking power?
As you mentioned that it happened to different side...
well i might be wrong, but you can go and have it a check...
Other sifu's here might have a proper answer to it... just sharing my opinion bro :wavey:

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
what knuckle are you using on your car? If the disc center hole not fit well on the hub, it can vibrate during braking...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
perhaps the 2 pot piston aren't applying equal pressure to the disc. Disc/caliper alignment not correct would be another reason
IS the caliper modded / using adapter from another car?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
what knuckle are you using on your car? If the disc center hole not fit well on the hub, it can vibrate during braking...
Ori knuckle from the car 4AFE

perhaps the 2 pot piston aren't applying equal pressure to the disc. Disc/caliper alignment not correct would be another reason
IS the caliper modded / using adapter from another car?
caliper is direct fit without using adaptor

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
Last time I use bendix also eat and skim few times. Nowadays I change the disc and use some local ceramic pad, so far no problem

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Today, I have serviced the twinpot caliper using repair kit. Hope it will solve this problem

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Ori knuckle from the car 4AFE

caliper is direct fit without using adaptor
What disc are you using? Is it Levin twin pot disc? If using 4AFE knuckle that means you have to reduce the diameter of the disc right? Just checking how you mod..
Hopefully the caliper service kit will solve the problem...

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong

mdjames

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Petaling Jaya
I have been using 4 pot caliper for 2 year now... no issue with the disc. Perhaps your break pads. Try using Japan made pad like endless...

Cheers!

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Bro, you can refer to this thread how i mod the disc and knuckle.
me2kimi.blogspot.com: March 2012
It seems the honda disc is not centered on the hub. You cannot just center the disc using the lug nut studs. you need to put a spacer between the rich and center hub so the disc has a tight fit on the hub center.
Also, what is the Honda disc thickness and total height ? You might be able to fit the disc when the caliper pistons was pushed out to maximum to fit the new brake pads, but if the disc is off center to the calipers, it might wear out unevenly just on one side.
Are you replacing your damaged disc with other Honda disc or the levin twin pot disc??

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
At first, I've convert to twinpot caliper together with the disc, but using the original knuckle since I only bought caliper and disc. Then, left disc bengkok, I've changed it to ori disc from 4afe. After that, right disc bengkok.
Since I got very less wear honda disc, I mod the disc to fit into knuckle.

That the story. After service the caliper yesterday, it seem better now. But I'll continuously observe it.

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It seems the honda disc is not centered on the hub. You cannot just center the disc using the lug nut studs. you need to put a spacer between the rich and center hub so the disc has a tight fit on the hub center.
Also, what is the Honda disc thickness and total height ? You might be able to fit the disc when the caliper pistons was pushed out to maximum to fit the new brake pads, but if the disc is off center to the calipers, it might wear out unevenly just on one side.
Are you replacing your damaged disc with other Honda disc or the levin twin pot disc??
yes,agre with u...if the center hole disk to big diameter then hub we must sleeve its first to fit with the hub...then for me,the best way if i need to drill new hole let say 114 to 100...use back hub 100 then facing its into front disk face and use same size drill bits and drill..but u still need special tool to hook and tide between disk and hub...after that the fist hole we drill need to finish with more 1mm big drill bits...this for ezy to put or take out disk...(stud hole not help to center the disk..hub is yes)

most important thing for me is center hole disk to hub and center hub to rim .this 2 method will help from vibrate when brake oso when do on wheel balancing....

sory if i'm wrong...:wavey:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there, anyone try to mod 5g honda city exhaust system yet??:burnout::burnout: mind to share about your experience?:adore::adore: still deciding want to decat and change extractor 2-1 or not :bawling:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience