Campro IAFM Engine Temperature Overheat

bluefire

Apr 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
This happened on April 18th. I went for a coolant change for my Proton Persona. I know the workshop and since they were the distributor for the coolant, I trusted in their ability to handle the installation of the coolant.

During the installation, when they had drained the original coolant and had begun to pour in the new coolant, they seemed professional as I expected them to be. However, when the engine started to run, so that they can be sure that the cooling system is functioning, the temperature rose from 70 Degrees to 110 Degrees. I saw that happen for a brief moment and I believe that the engine hit 110 degrees for about 10 minutes before it was shut down.

The reason for the high temp was because they did not bleed the air out of the engine properly. It was not caused by the coolant application.

Has anyone here had any experience with Campro IAFM engine overheating? The temperature was at 110 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes. It did not touch the red line. Water is always full in the radiator and no water in the oil so far. Can I assume that all is fine and the engine is not damaged?

I took it to Proton and they said no problem. The dealer wrote me an email to say that they have seen temperatures above 100 degrees and no problem.

Many thanks in advance for your kind advice.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Do they let a tap water run through the whole cooling system while the engine is running?
Raw water has a standard 100 degree boiling temperature, thus, adding the coolant will increased the boiling temperature of the cooling system and enable the cooling system to works in higher than 100 degree environment.
If you did not experience any overheating issue or your coolant reservoir tank did not drop to minimum level after weeks, its normal then. If the coolant reservoir tank drop to minimum level after few days, its a sign of more coolant need to be added to increased the boiling temperature but anything more than 70% coolant / 30% water is not suggested in our tropical climate as coolant usually comes with anti freeze for winter purpose.
Btw, were they using Proton oem green coolant or the red Toyota coolant?

bluefire

Apr 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Coldplay, Thanks for your kind reply to my question. No, they did not run tap water in the cooling system while engine was running. I have not experienced any drop in water from the reservoir tank for the last 4 days. I use Water Wetter which does not contain Anti-Freeze.

The temperature redlines at about 125 degrees. I really hope nothing has been damaged due to the high heat.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
It will not be a problem. I 'kissed' an Innova's rear before with my Persona.
I thought the crash didn't hit the radiator but when i was cruising, the temp was raising, fast.
So i turned off my engine then just cruise. To my surprise, i forgot i am using hydraulic brakes and i couldn't brake!
So i turned on the engine to brake and further increased the temp until there is smoke coming out of my hood!
I was worried too but the mechanic said no problem when I got my car back a month later. My meter was JUST over the red line.
hope this clears ur frustration.

Persona Elegance M-Line.

{edited} And if the engine cannot bear the heat, it will turn off itself. Modern engines are like that. I heard it from my father.

Last edited:

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
I have also experienced that "smoke in the hood" when my radiator hose burst. After a month. I start changing all my 4G13 rubber seals. 2 seals in distributor, 12 Valve seals and oil seal on timing belt side.

That's the reason I built my electronic coolant overheat alarm to avoid this expensive problem again. I've installed it on top of my dashboard driver side. My car was Mitsubishi Lancer EL 1996 cyclone 4G13 engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
flush the engine again, shove the water hose into the radiator, turn the engine on, leave it running for 5-6mins.
turn off engine, remove the water hose, let the water drain......once completed screw back the stopper.

turn on the water tap again but low pressure, fill it up 1/4, then pour in coolant. fill up with water till full...
once radiator full, spare tank also full, turn on engine, then keep topping up with water at the radiator, water will spill over but its ok.
after 2-3 mins close the cap & youre done.

happened to me before, 1st flushing temp increased, after 2nd attempt temp normal.

bluefire

Apr 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I will check on the water level from time to time but I believe that based on the input I have received so far, that this did not cause any damage to the engine.

But I will keep everyone posted if there are changes to the situation.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

I have also experienced that "smoke in the hood" when my radiator hose burst. After a month. I start changing all my 4G13 rubber seals. 2 seals in distributor, 12 Valve seals and oil seal on timing belt side.

That's the reason I built my electronic coolant overheat alarm to avoid this expensive problem again. I've installed it on top of my dashboard driver side. My car was Mitsubishi Lancer EL 1996 cyclone 4G13 engine.
Rleo6965,

This is interesting. This is a much needed product. When will you be offering this for sale?

Thanks.

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
Some of my friends here in Philippines was also interested with my DIY Lancer Itlog Gauge. Because the model of our Lancer doesn't have RPM gauge, Coolant Overheat Alarm and Bar Graph Battery Level Indicator. So, I designed and built for that purpose.

But I'm busy finishing my pcb and casing design of my Multiple Spark CDIS that was also for my Carb type engine. It's already fully tested and installed with my Lancer and used almost a year.

Are you only interested with Coolant Overheat Alarm? I thought your country also have this product Audible Coolant Overheat Alarm.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The late 80s and early and mid 90s are considered to be the 'golden era of motorsport', in the world of four wheels Ayrton Senna was amazing the world with his magic and a manufacturers war at the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters between Mercedes and BMW created a cult following that is still alive today.

Over the years there have been plenty of videos celebrating this 'golden era of DTM' racing and a number of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience