CaLLing aLL SiFoo Nedd HeLp for SusPensioN SeTTing

SnooK_B

Known Member
May 9, 2005
Damansara
www.mudah.com.my
HeLLo RE BroTherS aNd SiFoo i wanna make cusTom SuspenSion SeTTing can anybody give me exact seTTing suspension suiTable for drifTing and Daily Driving...

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
just throw in 12 KG front 10 KG rear...
max up the shims as much as possible yet still compressible... and put some bleed valve in it.. :P

unfortunately, my business isn't ready to accept customers at the moment.
if you can wait, i can customize for you after chinese new year :P

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
Reply removed

Last edited:

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
you have to choose 1. you cannot have the best of both worlds. drift settings will upset daily driving and vice versa. You must choose!!

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
dev, it's possible :) but the price to pay is high....
i've seen one set before made in neatherlands... price......RM 28K....

not sure anywhere around in malaysia got anyone can do that kind of quality... it's possible but need quite sometime to research...

it's not using those bleed valve to control.. but 2 piston valves hooked onto one shaft...their technology... we can only COPY :P malaysia BOLEH...

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
chun beng. i'm telling you its not possible. for 28k i'd be better off getting 2 sets of suspension, 1 for daily and 1 for track/drift. I've got top of the line ohlins. the pamphlet says that at sof the car is very comfortable bla bla bla thats just marketing talk lerr. its still stiff and every time i change the settings i can never go back to track settings. i'll have to go to the suspension fellow and spend almost 2 hours with the car off the ground because in the instruction manual it reccomends that you set the changes with no stress on the suspension. so no just decide what you want. There is another way which is to set it more towards drift but you loose some on daily driving but then again its never actually 100% drift set as well.go figure.

SnooK_B

Known Member
May 9, 2005
Damansara
www.mudah.com.my
just throw in 12 KG front 10 KG rear...
max up the shims as much as possible yet still compressible... and put some bleed valve in it.. :P

unfortunately, my business isn't ready to accept customers at the moment.
if you can wait, i can customize for you after chinese new year :P
that's great bro where ur shop how much it will cost?

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
chun beng. i'm telling you its not possible. for 28k i'd be better off getting 2 sets of suspension, 1 for daily and 1 for track/drift. I've got top of the line ohlins. the pamphlet says that at sof the car is very comfortable bla bla bla thats just marketing talk lerr. its still stiff and every time i change the settings i can never go back to track settings. i'll have to go to the suspension fellow and spend almost 2 hours with the car off the ground because in the instruction manual it reccomends that you set the changes with no stress on the suspension. so no just decide what you want. There is another way which is to set it more towards drift but you loose some on daily driving but then again its never actually 100% drift set as well.go figure.
:dito: CB, you've got to keep in mind that bleed orifices only control low shaft velocities. If this one is firm, you get good transient control of body movement like roll and possibly pitch as well. You will be sacrificing slightly in 'chatter' or 'judder' as a stiffly damped low speed setting doesn't react well to high frequency stuff well.

The main orifices on the piston covered by shim stacks deal with high velocity shaft speed and they deal with what we in the mountain bike world call "big hit". That is pretty much it. I'm just gonna stay with linear here because going into a discussion about digressive and velocity dependant is gonna be messy. Mostly because I'm stupid about them hahaha.

Ride harshness also depends on spring rate of the car. I told you about that formula to calculate natural sprung mass frequency which you can then derive your spring rate from. Obviously an uber stiffie bitch of a spring is not going to take random big hits like famed KL potholes too well. They're awesome for crushing your spleen and causing slip discs though *grin*

Then there's another headache where roll stiffness is directly related to spring rate and ARB stiffness. I can't remember how much percentage should the roll stiffness contributed by either the springs or ARB be but there's a general concensus between tuner tuner Jepun and European tuners. Japanese more or less places a higher percentage of their roll resistance work on to their springs, hence the arse-busting springs from Tein, JIC etc etc etc and because they have lovely roads to boot. The Europeans however are alot more practical. Reasonable spring rates coupled to firm low speed damping and large large large anti roll bars. Their cars handle alright. Plus they can take crap roads as well.

But I'm sure you knew that anyway...

Dev, when I cum bek, can i cum molest your dampers abit :biggrin: you dun mind lite hahahaha

Cheers

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
dev, it's true.. it's too expensive ...but i've seen one set before... with my own eyes.. rebuilt by another suspension expert...it's being installed on a rally car... but so called comfortable is not like LEXUS type of comfortable.. not even stock comfortable probably that's what you mean as well.... so called comfortable are sports comfortable we normally get on after market... stock suspension rates 6 at the scale of 1 to 10 in comfortable... that 28K suspension will be around at 4....and LEXUS type of comfortable will be around at 8 or 9...

hey snook_b... i'm a manufacturer... no shop :P.. but yet i need sample so that i can make something with good fitment..
but i got an order of large amount of shocks to rush to manufacture before chinese new year..... and the raw materials aren't here yet...maybe u keep in mind drop me ur phone number i'll call u when i've already fulfiled the orders...price wise... local custom design price la... definitely cheaper than getting and tien, ohlins, or HKS or JIC...if u want some top of the line stuff, then i need sometime to test out...and price is different story..

Alex.... yeah if something top of the line, it'll be utilising adjustable bleed valve plus 3 piston valves :P 1st piston control high speed, then bleed orifice to bleed to the 2nd piston while 2nd piston are more towards medium speed....while the normal one will be normal bleed orifice with 2 piston valves only :) adjustable or not will be depending on my RnD of managed to come out with the design for it on time...

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
Damn u guyz are making ur lives unnessasarily COMPLICATED !!!!!

Just go out and get a set of aftermarket coil-overs like OHLINS, ARAGOSTA, TEIN bla bla bla...... Specify the spring rates that u want/need.......adjust Damper settings/construction to what suits ur driving style best (this might take awhile)..... chose appropriate ARB thickness (depending on ur needs & wants)........ Set Camber/Castor/Toe-in/Toe-out to ur driving preference........ tadaaaa........finito......

And yea.... DEV's right, no way can u have the best of both worlds..... Drift setting is different. U need to run aggresive camber....more that what ud need on Trackday sessions........ Everythings a compromise......

Comfort = a shitty handling car
Performance = a shitty riding car

The trick is to find the best compromise most suited to ur needs......

Last edited:

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
Anything too hard/stiff will make ur car very twitchy and nervous on bumpy or less than perfect surfaces.......

Too soft and u'll feel like ur at the helm of a chanel crossing ferry..... Major pitch would be the order of the day.....hahaha......

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
somehow technology like progressive springs helps alot on making the balance...

yeap.. suspension technology is hell of a complicated thing.... the simplest... is get those that already meant for the application...

if backside itchy...nothing to do... too much time.... continue talk to me :P we'll make something out of it :P but not now... after chinese new year...

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
I don't like progressive springs. A damper can only tailor to a fixed rate and will probably bitch when the spring rate changes. Heck I don't even like preloading springs on a car. =.=

Effie,
My life is simple. It's all load transfer hahaha. And from there, I only need my desired ride frequency and desired roll stiffness. It's the customizing and making parts and bits that are headache inducing and confusing. BTW, I saw the video of your run on Sepang. Nice driving... that toorboh geeteeeye is quick though :biggrin:

Cheers

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
saru- you can twiddle with the cars fiddles the whole day mate.

effie- thats what i'm trying to tell cb. you have to choose.

like what effie and alex have said the trick is balance. a car with really hard settings will twitch into the corner and the transfer of load will be out. too soft you get that too.

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
saru-kun --- thx bro...... yeah, that GTi was pretty quick... thats what happens when u run an Evo 3 engine in a GTi ... could only reel him in during the twisty bits..... Did finally overtake him though......

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We’re quite accustomed to shouting matches after bumping into someone or have watched a shouting match by the side of the road but I really wish I would have been there to watch this. Would have been quite funny actually.

This is what happened, what happened to the car above did not happen as a result of the accident. The woman was driving her car (a Buick) through Nankai University campus where she bumped...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience