• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

lancer_ajai2

Known Member
Jan 22, 2004
Kuching, Sarawak
Visit site
Hi,

My fren is driving a ford ranger diesel turbo and he plans to install a bov for his ranger. We understand that turbodiesel engines have no butterfly/throttle valve like petrol cars which disables them to use the bov. But have anyone tried modifying it so that the turbodiesel engines can install bov? Please advice. Thanks in advance.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Theres a diesel version SQV from HKS. Dunno how much it cost.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
regardless petrol or diesel, any engine with forced induction may use a BOV.

lancer_ajai2

Known Member
Jan 22, 2004
Kuching, Sarawak
Visit site
I know all turbocharged engines can use bov. But thequestion is how to route the bov for turbo diesel? Cause this kin of engines have no butterfly throttle and vacuuum. How to connect?

phoenixpower

Aug 12, 2004
Yes, you can fit a BOV to any forced induction engine,..but the question is should you or is it necessary to fit one on a turbo diesel engine?

I cant find any technical reason to fit a BOV on a turbo diesel engine because there's no need for it to be there unless its for attention reasons.

Lets think of it on a technical side, with a BOV, you're dumping air that could have been used during the combustion process.

Ideally you dont want a BOV in any turbocharged engine but this is just not the case(TB for gasoline engines..etc)..will work on a steady state engine though.

just my two cents.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
phoenixpower said:
I cant find any technical reason to fit a BOV on a turbo diesel engine because there's no need for it to be there unless its for attention reasons.
Impaller back-pedaling.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Cheong Mou Kei 4G9XT said:
juz talk to da driver dis morning he say he adjust da bov spring to da hardest coz....he claim da bov oni open when boost kicks in n not during acelerate n deacelerate.
Tapped vacumn signal?

phoenixpower

Aug 12, 2004
Joeker said:
Impaller back-pedaling.

Could you elaborate more on that?

If you're referring to surge, a terrible compressor/turbine mis-match is possible, or surge due to reversion caused during sudden closure of TB(surprise surprise,there are some diesels with TB).

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
phoenixpower said:
If you're referring to surge, a terrible compressor/turbine mis-match is possible, or surge due to reversion caused during sudden closure of TB(surprise surprise,there are some diesels with TB ).
errr......you just answered you own question. :tee:

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
phoenixpower said:
Ideally you dont want a BOV in any turbocharged engine but this is just not the case(TB for gasoline engines..etc)..will work on a steady state engine though.
May i know wat you mean by "steady state engine"?

phoenixpower

Aug 12, 2004
Joeker said:
errr......you just answered you own question. :tee:
Well, lancer_ajai2 did say that his friend's ford ranger doesn't have a TB..and Im under the impression that the turbocharger is stock(regardless of boost pressure), which I doubt surge is present hence you can consider fitting a BOV on his friend's Ford ranger purely for "attention" reasons.

phoenixpower

Aug 12, 2004
Joeker said:
May i know wat you mean by "steady state engine"?
Steady state engines as in engines that spends most of its time in WOT and seldom/hardly run its throttle shut closed(eg like light planes/boats).

Btw, a bit off topic,

I just noticed the racecraft "thingy" in your message box... You make carbon fibre components or import them?If you make them, how much does the autoclave cost?

Cheers mate.

vteckiller

Supporting Merchants
Nov 17, 2003
Turbo diesel engines have 0 vacuum..
no vacuum..
when u start the car the boost meter will show 0 then rev straight to boost from 1000rpm so bov will not work on a diesel turbo..
unless u can make vacuum some where or use special diesel bov..

;)

Mr^Mania

Jul 26, 2004
Puchong
Visit site
BOV can fix to turbodiesel...

heyya fella, i know this is a year story... but i wanna share u guy with BOV turbodiesel...i used to own a ford ranger model splash year'99(already sell it last 2yrs coz of buying new car)... an i have spend on mods almost rm30k on it including transmission... what i have mods is:-

1) fuel pump(mods it to bigger pressure and make it adjustable, easy to adjust it when u do next mods phase)

2) the clutch fan been open and replace to an electric fan(i use nissan F15 fan as it has 3 speed and do wiring system on its...(REALLY CHALLENGING DOING IT, BUT FUN BUILDING THE WHOLE PROJECT))

3)the oryginal turbine boost rod been modify to adjustable...(in my 1st phase mods, i used standerd boost(1 bar), 2nd phase mods was (1.3bar), then 1.7 bar then up to 2bar... the last try was 2.3bar but i did only for 5 days... then adjust it to 1.8 bar, afraid of damaged my engine for 6 times:_:

4)balanced engine, rebored cylinder and change to bigger piston(cant remember whats the size of the piston, but its the 2nd big in the list of the spec), lightening the con rods, and cranks sharp( these apllication been doing coz im only drive my ranger on the road not off road)

5) bigger intercooler( i just only remember, i used BLITZ intercooler... bought it 2nd but brand new(never been use by owner before, simpan saja, so i racun him!!)

6) full turbo piping with the same saiz of oryginal 2inch(stainless steel), HKS SSQV for evo 3(this is the 2nd change!!!!, before this using HKS turbodiesel BOV, bought from N1 racing but koyak after boosting it to 1.7bar)

7) all transmission gear with final drive been change... bought all those ratio from BKK, thailand. and the LSD too!! to match power - ratio and short shift too... with 1 feet of extension gear shift rod for easy shifting :regular_smile:

8) full exhaust pipe 2.3inch and change to bigger bullet

9) K&N drop in filter(change to bigger one, not oryginal size and custome box as well, the fillter box pipe to turbine was design like cone, and K&N engine breather too)

10) Old Man Emu suspension with medium compression spring leaf

11) bridgestone all-terrain tyre 245/60/16

12) pivot turbo timer and turbosmart bosst control model dual stage FG-GBCV-DS( low boost was setup 1.3bar and high boost was setup 1.8bar) and sard boost meter (with memory and 2.5bar view)

thats all bout my mods, bout the BOV, sound is loud at 1.3bar just like evo but at 1.8bar, the sound was really loud... most of my friend said, it sounds like supra... at the end of the sound can hear like glass breaking... the sound quite strange to me coz i have change the middle tips from its oryginal one!!!

personal test, 0-100km/h just take at 5.9sec, 0-400m at 14.7sec(still remember the best record eva, and i think its fast enough for my turbodiesel), top speed was out meter and i dont know what is the best speed but i hv great experience raced with GTI converted to EVO, EVO what number i dont know!! at yr 2000 from pusat bandar traffic light, sg buloh till shah alam!!!(to GTI convert driver, thanks being friendly and cleaned of racing with me:_: )

thats all i wanna share with u guys... to those who is interest on mods of ranger may contact me, i can recommand to my mechanic... cheers all fella...

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
wow i never know ford ranger also can do so many mods....0-100km/h at 5.9sec, 0-400m at 14.7sec is very fast for a diesel turbo car.

Mr^Mania

Jul 26, 2004
Puchong
Visit site
deathzone said:
wow i never know ford ranger also can do so many mods....0-100km/h at 5.9sec, 0-400m at 14.7sec is very fast for a diesel turbo car.
it can do so many things if u know what are you doin!! i actually done on the mods with a help from a friend, which hes doing turbo diesel performance in BKK thailand!! the more u mods it, the weakest vacuum pressure lose... i dont know what are my mechanics do and dont know what hes been add on... i just know how to drive that ranger anyway!!!

a friend from BKK thailand... just gimme recomandation mods after a phase mod to another phase mods!!! its really chalenging of doin it... what ever mods has been done... have to monitor the vacuum pressure, as almost all the component of tubodiesel needs the vacuum pressure enough, including the gear box, 4x4 pressure, these and that..!!! too many and i dont know what else in the turbo diesel has!!!

owh forgot to tell u guys... the Glow Plug also have been change from the oryginal to 4.5 turbo diesel of range rover!!! for this mods, they make a bigger tread for the new glow plug!! the more i mods it, the higher torque i get, portential of HP is not really increase like petrol... good response on pick-up and u can feel the force induction... but top speed not that good...

thanks for read bout my article!!! hope to those who are doing it, hopefully u guys gimme msges bout the performance... i can share with u guys....

Last edited:

A Post Every 5 Mins

no matter what car you driving, had you ever lost faith in your ride? unfinished problem coming that cost you lots of repair fees, time, and caused you cant sleep at night and kept thinking what caused that problem(i will be like this)...

driving a turbocharged car since i got my P license , being known that, this little snails tends to cost me higher maintenance and sometimes do bring me headache problem..... however, since poisoned by the "G" , you just cant stop and only can try to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience