Balltec differential.. anyone using it?

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
Hey all..
I just bought a Balltec differential off a mate who crashed his 180SX a while back.. he told me it's a Balltec. I've heard that it's a bit different that the usual viscious LSDs. Balltec LSDs use ball bearings instead of helical gears to place pressure on the pinion gears.

I know they're not as good as a mechanical 1.5-way LSD, but they're a lot better than viscous LSDs and are probably a lot more road friendly than mechanical LSDs.

Anyone using this type of LSD? What can you say about it?

Cheers

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
Err.. if your mate crashed his car while using the Balltec LSD don't you think its a bit risky using it? heeheehee

Anyway jokes aside; yes its a lot different from Viscious which works on the viscosity of a 'certain'* fluid. Its works more like a Helical which uses pressure as its locking mechanism.

I would suppose that since it runs on bearings, the 'locking'* would be more progessive rather than the more abrupt 'locking'* that you would get from a helical gear variety.

But do give it a try and let us know how they work..

*technically unsavy lingo

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
.S K A G E E. said:
Err.. if your mate crashed his car while using the Balltec LSD don't you think its a bit risky using it? heeheehee
Naa.. he was just dumb to do a downhill before making sure he was good enough for it..

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
dude which part of Japan are you at? I was in Fukuoka last month and most of the drifters there only drifted downhill.. I supposed dirfting up hill is only for beginners

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
I'm up north in Yamagata. My friend who crashed on the downhill is in Kyoto, the other side of Japan. We can't drift all year long since it snows and the roads get all slippery.

I guess uphill is for beginners, and since I am a beginner, I only do uphills.. I'll only do downhills when I'm good and ready for it :P

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
cool, I suppose it will start snowing soon at where you're at. When will you get done? Are you planning to bring your car back?

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
I'll be here for another year, at least, and after I graduate, I'll go back and I'll take this car along with me.. provided it's still working when at the time..

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
good to hear that..besides you are there any other Malaysian drifting over there?

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
quite a lot actually.. I don't know all of them, but I think it's quite common for the students who came here to drift..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The most number of callers about Tufoil come from Subang Jaya. They say traffic jams are very bad for engines!!

One user in a small town was worried that his engine may crack by virtue of the "great power gain" he experienced for the first time.

A Lotus Elise downed in 4 bottles of Tufoil at one of those Merdeka Day races. Too bad, the participant did not win cos' the radiator leaked midway.

J.W. Lessing in " Become a Successful Truck Operator " a Business Guide quoted the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience