B16A Big Vtec with OBD0 PR3 ECU

AE80

Known Member
Jun 7, 2006
hi all, i'm newbie here..

i wanna ask something about my car..
i got ED6 with b16 big vtec (bought from my friend)
ecu pr3 auto obd0, gearbox S1 (cable), header got 2 o2 sensor, small vtec distributor
(all of this from small vtec i think)

this engine dont have vtec oil pressure switch (so, i jump directly to vtec solenoid) now vtec kickin.. and i move the jumper from R68 to R67 on my ecu to get vtec kickin around 5000~8000 rpm
better than before, around 4500~7500 rpm..

i wanna ask, do i need to convert to ecu obd1 because i'm using big vtec?
or it's doesnt matter? i try to figure out pro and con using OBD0 ecu/wiring harness to OBD1 engine..
and how about performance? and hp i got now? it's big vtec or small vtec horsepower?

need to learn.. thank you very much.. ^^

AE80

Known Member
Jun 7, 2006
where's all sifu? no comment? =.='

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
Iam also waiting from sifus to answer lol, but seems ZTH are so very the slow la nowdays....
ok here we go

Find an OBD0 manual ecu & fix back the oil pressure switch, follow back ori wiring routing. walla.

big vtec & small vtec not much diff in ho bro, only 10hp, slightly higher compression & cam, different distributor,different IM, different injectors, diff. ecu with 2 O2 sensors.

If you want to go for OBD1, its actually leave you to a lot options for standalone, hondata, chrome. For 0BD0 also can, aftermarket ECU(spoon etc) & tune it with piggyback i.e. VAFC/e-manage. you need ecu conversion harness or complete OBD1 harness + OBD1 distributor, for this & its only needs 1 O2 sensor.(different location of bung)

minor mods = Aftermarket header + complete ctr head parts + ctr piston + adj camgear + chipped ecu + piggyback & dynotuning.....

cheers.:wavey:

Last edited:

AE80

Known Member
Jun 7, 2006
thanks jombiee..

my engine no oil pressure switch at all..and i read from other forum theres JDM engine without it..my ecu obd0 need that..so, i bypass pressure switch and vtec engage..no problem..

about auto ecu, yes.. vtec engage 4500 rpm and cut 7500 rpm..what i did is...i moved the jumper from R68 to R67 on my ecu to get vtec kickin around 5000~8000 rpm..everything works..

what bother me is, my engine is obd1 (with big VTEC on it) but ecu obd0 (distributor and header with 2 o2 sensors) .. mean my hp decrease? i got 2 options here..

option 1 = convert to obd1 ecu/wiring (need obd1 ecu, distributor, header, wiring harness) or
option 2 = leave it and do a minor mods to get extra hp..
which is better, and cheaper...?

thanks again :)

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
above all it depends on how deep is your pocket & your target, squeezing juice form NA engines are EXPENSIVE but very steam:nurse:

if you want to further mode = option 1, more proper & less headache for upgrading later(ps;- it will never end lol)

OBD1 is the ecu type bro, not the engine, as I explained earlier its much more friendlier to tweak.
if you put in Big vtec internal(piston & cam) inside small vtec engines, it will become Big vtec also.
B16a with ctr internal - " huge vtec ?" he he i'm jocking laa.

Now how about B16b/B18cr running on OBD0 ? it still can run but the ecu capability would not support the engines full potential - get it ?

My ride runs on 'small vtec' with ctr piston, ctr cam etc still run OBD0 with chipped ecu. no problem.:driver:
pardon my bad english & explanation, i'm no engineer haih but hope could guide you some input.

AE80

Known Member
Jun 7, 2006
hahaha..ok..ok.. thanks.. good explaination..this is what i lokking for..

ctr with obd0 is obd0..cant reach max potential for further mod isnt? hehehe..

convert to obd1 sure need more $$ than mods obd0 itself..for me, i dont need further mod for now..so, i let it be obd0..tweak it till last step my obd0 setup can take..

if i combine vtec head with B20 bottom end..do i need to change ecu to obd1? or can i use this current setup?..just asking..

now i know my car is running small vtec setup..even with latest vtec engine..hehehe..
thanks again...i'm newbie...but want learn more.. :)

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

and what your suggestion for my 1st mod? intake? piping? header? or go to chipped ecu?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As on the news and internet, the gov soon might reimplant the previous policy, inspection is a must for cars older then 5 years maybe once per 1 or 2 years..... If not pass inspection, car might be going scrap.... I believe many guys here having a "baby" that is more then 5 years right?if the gov require to do so, what say you?:smokin:

Plus, gov said that this policy is to make the cars on the road be more safe, and promote citizen to buy new and quality car (as they proposed, owner that...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience