Apexera SAFC & VAFC

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
HELP : SAFC2 users - knock sensor reading

Hmmm... i wonder if any other users of SAFC2 users out there are experiencing the same thing as me. I noticed that when the weather is hot like in the afternoon, the knock sensor reading for my SAFC2 goes haywire and very erratic even when I am driving on the highway. The reading jumps up and down and sometimes goes very high like 80. This happens only when it in the afternoon when it is hot. In the mornings and late evenings, the reading is stable with no problems.

I'm driving a Putra with SAFC2 installed. I have tuned the SAFC knock sensor setting at 1500rpm and 4000rpm already and I did it a few times but problem still there.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Nope, not the O2 sensor signal. My Putra is a 1997 model, its without O2 sensor. I mean the engine knocking sensor. I was told that the sensor is something like a microphone and it detects engine noise in order to gauge the engine knocking level.

endless551

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
Visit site
It is actually a piezoelectric element not a microphone. Microphone is used by tuners for audible signal.. anyway.. that sounds weird to me.. Does ur engine timing retard or so when the signal flactuates?

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
does the piezoelectric element works on sound? Coz my bro told me if use a hammer to knock on the engine, the sensor would pick up the sound as engine knocking too wan.

Nope, my engine running smooth when the signal fluctuates. No backfiring or jerks...

endless551

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
Visit site
When the hammer knocks on ur engine it generates vibration which in turns generate sound. ENgine knock occurs in some specific frequency range, the voltage range of the sensor is adjusted to detect such frequency. Piezoelectric/ accelerometer actually generates a voltage when vibration/pressure is sensed. I'm not aware of other type of knock sensor in the market.

Get ur car dynoed to obtain ur AF ratio curve. Would give the tuner a much better indication of wats going on. Let the person know when u get such signal, on WOT (wide open throttle) or just cruising.. THere could be mild knock detected but not enough for the ecu to retard the timing, I would say its a badly tuned afc. As on hot day high engine temp can cause pre-combustions which in turns causes knock. Go speak to some1 that knows how to tune it instead.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
okie, thanks for ur advice... it could be a badly tuned AFC coz i played around with the settings myself. :)

endless551

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
Visit site
don't ever fiddle around with ur AF ratio by guesstimation.. Its the most common culprit for blown engines.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Hmmm... no worries, my settings so far has been conservative. never above +10% and never below -3%...

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
manofwar, mine fluctuates like 0 ->70 -> 0 -> 30 -> 0 -> 80 etc and it happens only in the hot afternoon... is urs like this too?

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
the highest i ever got was 30+ on hot sunny afternoon after i rev the car like crazy. other than tat. usually afternoon around 10-11. morning at night around 5-6.

anyways during day/night u set ur knock sensor? coz lets say if u set it at night ah, then during hot afternoon ur knock will show very high. so the best is hot afternoon, u let ur car idle for like 10-15mins, then u set the knock at 1500rpm and 3500rpm. off engine on engine again and see how it goes ler. anyways this is just a suggestion la. but bcoz if u say can knock like 80 plus, thats quite high. like some forumers said, maybe wrong a/f ratio setting qua. best go to a reputable tuner and tune ler. but if after tuning, still knoch very high, maybe could be ur sensor rosak, or ur engine got prob ler :P

Kenboy

Known Member
Apr 23, 2004
you may need to reduce your ignition timing if extra fueling doesnt work to reduce ur knocking.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Hi, thanks mengz and Kenboy for your advice. mengz, i had set my knock sensor at the day time when it was hot, and also i set it at 1500rpm and 3500rpm.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys recently i did a conversion for a GX81 to a 1JZ-GTE from a JZX81.. The halfcut comes with full dash and full wiring from engine to the back of the car not splice.. :driver:

Now after finish with the full conversion including all wiring and finally the car be able to drive and i found out that the car seems to have some engine miss up to at around 6krpm to redline.. I can onli know this thru listening to how the exhaust sounded.. I tried changing the 1JZ fuel pump to new bosch...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience