Any comments for convert RD1 to FTO engine?

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Sorry.. similar noobie question again..

I am now using auto transmission.. If change the set up to evo4 engine, how much is it gonna cost for the engine and manual transmission? Or can I use original auto transmission when changing to evo4?

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
ken,
our coupe stock engine are capable of handling extra boost, as the engine block are of iron cast which is the same material used on Skyline. There are people boosted it up to 250HP with no problem. To play safe, a boost of 0.7bar is good enought already and get you to 210HP (around there). Its the cost whether you have or not.

EVO engine are expensive to maintain. You have to swap the gear box as well as only the gearbox that comes with it are capable of handling its power and characteristic. I would say it gonna cost you up to RM15K for a full swap in.

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Ace,
Thanks for info.. You really senior!! respect respect...

ken3182

Known Member
May 9, 2007
wow.... GSR ar....

if you want power well.... i think you will get bored with GSR after a while...

cause the performance parts for GSR is very very little... unless you put in mivec head and pistons and bigger snail (turbine) then maybe you'll be satisfied..

in terms of price.. evo 4 the price now is very very cheap... GSR is going for at least 6.5k now... all because of JPJ that does not allow proton cars to convert to 2.0 unless it is already a 2.0 engine inside...

so if you plus installation and all that... might as well one shot go for evo... 280bhp... rather than 180bhp... thats if you want power la...
Hi Yen,

some how what you have mention is true. But i don't really need that much of power. Sometimes too much power is very hard to control and we're in malaysia. Very seldom you're able to fully utilise all the power given by the engine. Somehow i need more power for me travelling up to Genting. I understand that stock engine is good enough but somehow with the help of Turbo are much better. : )

In terms of pricing, yes evo 4 engine are Faster, Bigger and FC also bigger. If you compare with GSR, the FC consumtion are lower and more easy to maintain.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Guys, you must now that anything that is beyond 250HP in a front wheel drive car will be very hard to drive. Just imagine that every day you will be driving like you were on a flat steel plate on wet condition. You can imagine the frustration. Also, law of physic apply where (more power = more fuel). Trust me, I have seen the maintainance done on engine swap which is scary on the cost.

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Thanks Ace for your advice again.. Then I must put the engine transplant plan to many many years later when my stock engine breakdowns

ken3182

Known Member
May 9, 2007
Ace,

agree with what you say. By the way, my RD1 FC also quite high leh..1 full tank and only go 350km..that will be bout 0.28 per km. any solution?

limch1

Known Member
Oct 27, 2004
PJ
www.geocities.com
Always remember the chassis, suspension system and the braking distance too...which is the basic safety features and stability control...

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
limch1,
you were right on that too.

Ken,
Yours seems to be on high side. Mined could do 450km or more on a full tank to empty. Get your engine ecu check for any reason. Sensors thats not working well due to dirt may contribute to high consumption as well.

TCsim,
Good thinking. Even Tony the guy that swap in EVO engine is done when his engine really burned out beyond repair.

ken3182

Known Member
May 9, 2007
ACE,

any recommendation places where it could get it check and how much will it cost.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
In KL I think the best person to help is BS or you could refer to the sticky.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
tcsim,
This is totally not advisable. Our car 1.8 engine has a better block than mitshubishi. Do you know that all 1.8l beta engine has a 2.0l head and a slightly high cam profile? which is very efficient and that is also why Hyundai stop production on 1.8l engine before of its high cost. Almost the same as 2.0l but have to sell cheaper and that is a bonus for us.

So why the change? which is waste of money.

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Ace,
Since when I said I want to buy that? Hahahaha.. Just asking for opinions in case my engine blown next time.. And how you know I am driving a 1.8L RD2?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Perhaps the best power ( or torque ) gain from the use of Tufoil happen in these 2 car models. Owners have reported power increases that surpassed their imaginations or even our own comprehensions.

Must be all the tired bearings inside the engine waking up and turning effortlessly now. All engine bearings thrive on good lubrication and more if they are slippery like Tufoil.

We would like to hear from our zth friends about their experiences if they happen to own cars like these and using...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience