Advice and Opinion of conversion Blacktop halfcut

Merovingian

May 8, 2008
Hi guys ive recently purchased a Blacktop 20V halfcut n plannin to transplant it into my EE90. I Its currently clocked at 64k on the mileage and I got it for RM6k.

I would like to ask advice and opinions regarding these matters:

1) My mechanic is quotting a service charge of around 1800 to 2k for labour and basic assembly (mounting, aircond, piping, etc not including new exhaust piping). Is this a reasonable price?

2) he has suggested to me to change timing belt, clutch, and do the exhaust piping during this transplant. My question is, is it necessary for me to change these items if they r not significantly worn out? Should I change them while the engine is already out? Will it save me cost in the long run?

3) What neccasary documents do I need when seeking puspakom approval?

4) My halfcut didnt come with rear suspension, mech said need to jus pump old suspension for time being till buy proper all around suspension. Is tat acceptable?

4) What are general advice to look out for during a conversion of engine?

I really hope youll could give me ur sincere advice as this is my first time on halfcuts and m working on a tight budget but want the best in the long run

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
Better change most wear and tear parts, if not next time to change clutch, you need to bring down the whole gearbox, the labour is not cheap and when the engine is in already its harder to access the timing belt, if the timing belt putus, your valves will break your head

-lanz-

Known Member
Jul 9, 2009
Perak/Kedah
Agree with lkeong88.
No harm in changing the wear n tear parts else it will cost you more and give you headache in future.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
Hi guys ive recently purchased a Blacktop 20V halfcut n plannin to transplant it into my EE90. I Its currently clocked at 64k on the mileage and I got it for RM6k.

I would like to ask advice and opinions regarding these matters:

1) My mechanic is quotting a service charge of around 1800 to 2k for labour and basic assembly (mounting, aircond, piping, etc not including new exhaust piping). Is this a reasonable price?

2) he has suggested to me to change timing belt, clutch, and do the exhaust piping during this transplant. My question is, is it necessary for me to change these items if they r not significantly worn out? Should I change them while the engine is already out? Will it save me cost in the long run?

3) What neccasary documents do I need when seeking puspakom approval?

4) My halfcut didnt come with rear suspension, mech said need to jus pump old suspension for time being till buy proper all around suspension. Is tat acceptable?

4) What are general advice to look out for during a conversion of engine?

I really hope youll could give me ur sincere advice as this is my first time on halfcuts and m working on a tight budget but want the best in the long run
1)labor cost it quite high. can be lower esspecially when u buy blacktop from AE92 (if im not mistaken)

2)better change timing belt. clutch u must do inspection 1st, change if worn out. exhaust u can keep the original but power will suffer as stock pipe size for blacktop is 2~2.3 inch..

3)u need to keep the buying receipt and kastam letter of ur engine.

4)if ur rear suspension still functioning well, keep it. later can change to new absorber.

5)do alot more research before deciding anything..:biggrin:

Merovingian

May 8, 2008
Guys my mechanic told me tat the radiator on my blacktop engine is too large for my ee90 body... so he used the old radiator on the blacktop conversion. My question is:

1) is this true in all cases?

2) is ther a way to fix this problem?

3) will my engine have any problems as its bigger but wit smaller radiator?

Plz help....

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
U can measure d radiator urself..

If it doesn't fit, better search for 2 layer radiator or an aluminum ones

Gudluck n do share ur progress n pictures too :burnout:

sky910

Known Member
May 1, 2005
black top radiator can install at ee90 body with just modify mounting point at upper portion radiator ,easy job
labour charge is ok bcoz u need modify 1 side mounting to fit black top to your chasis(timing belt side)
on surgery process,u need to find ae91 injection fuel tank.ae111 won't fit nicely

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

here's the deal, i'm trickin' out my uncle's old skool beetle and i wanna get it lowered. are there any adjustables or lowering springs available for an old car like this in kch? thanx in advance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience