Achilles ATR Sport

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
owh ok but most members here says ok(not good)

in regrads of it outruns more expensive tyre so can i safely when it in equal hands n setup atr will be in the downside?

about aquaplan resistant + wet traction...care to elaborate further?

what i understand is eventho the aquaplaning is about the same each tyre has different wet traction...

i am monitoring closely about this atr at the moment cos thinking to change my rubber to cheaper + good tyre..

looking for 195/55/15 or 205/45/16
heh! heh! must read in depth to their reply. Some say good is for their dry use. Wet normally they slow down so for them fits their use so it is value for money.
Aquaplaning resistance is the ability to cut through water. Of course here we cannot be too sure how good or how bad as we are not sure how much water, how heavy the rain and so on, but just compile as many feedback as possible.
Wet traction is the ability to stop in the wet. In a way they go hand in hand. Once there is aquaplaning, there is no traction at all already as the tyre is floating on the water, but let's say there is no aquaplaning so how fast can the car stop in the wet and that is wet traction which will rely more on rubber compound.

Tyre will more large grooves will be better in aquaplane resistance, and especially in V pattern. GY GSD3 is one of them, Dunlop SP9000. For Asy pattern, then Nexen N8000, GY Asy2.
However more grooves means less rubber in contact with the road and that also means less traction in the dry. That is why slick tyres track better in the dry as in F1 and for wet they use V groove pattern. For daily use an intermediate will be good, but then again depends on your priority. For me I am a wet kaki so wet traction is more important...
Too bad you are on 15 and 16, if not can try ATR2. You can consider GT Radial Champiro HPX also...
I am currently using the HPY but they come in 17" above...

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
been using a.drive r1 and driving it in wet also aquaplan n of cos when its aquaplaning the grip lessened...not sure wat tyre didnt gives that feeling...

on the other hand...a bunch of frens are using it for touge n occasional track days and they all giving positive comments...its just not tat frens with atr outrun frens using more expensive tyre...
Well, There is a big different of grip between, said 70km/h and 130km/h in wet. At least the ATR Sports could withstand without major worry. I mentioned minimal aquapaning. I have also used it on Semenyih - Kuala Klawang touge outing and so far result is okay. It even lasted few round going sideway back in Serdang last time.

From my experience, The ATR Sport hold itself better than A.driveR1 in aquaplaning resistance but due to different compound and maybe construction, somehow, The A.driveR1 has better grip and steering feel. The now discontinue GSD3 is one of the best intermediate or heavy downpour tyre I ever use. We're not supposed to drive fast in wet road but sometimes can't help as a good tyres and brake tend to bring out the urge to push safely. Too bad its damn noisy even at 70% tread.
The likes of PS3, RE002, Direzza and S.drive is good in wet too. Then again, their 17" almost triple the price of ATR sport... :biggrin:

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya
i've been reading and researching alot about ATR near the end of last year coz my tyres then was nearly bald.
from what i gather, it is a value for money tyre = cheap, good dry drip/braking and good mileage/last long; good aquaplaning resistance but only ok wet grip/braking.
that's why it's a good drift tyre. but if u are looking for high wet grip tyre, u better look for something else; its not bad, but only ok.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, There is a big different of grip between, said 70km/h and 130km/h in wet. At least the ATR Sports could withstand without major worry. I mentioned minimal aquapaning. I have also used it on Semenyih - Kuala Klawang touge outing and so far result is okay. It even lasted few round going sideway back in Serdang last time.

From my experience, The ATR Sport hold itself better than A.driveR1 in aquaplaning resistance but due to different compound and maybe construction, somehow, The A.driveR1 has better grip and steering feel. The now discontinue GSD3 is one of the best intermediate or heavy downpour tyre I ever use. We're not supposed to drive fast in wet road but sometimes can't help as a good tyres and brake tend to bring out the urge to push safely. Too bad its damn noisy even at 70% tread.
The likes of PS3, RE002, Direzza and S.drive is good in wet too. Then again, their 17" almost triple the price of ATR sport... :biggrin:
A-Drive R1 grooves are not that big against the ATR, but I think compound is better that is why wet traction better but not aquaplane resistance...
Yup, I use the German Made (1st batch) of GS-D3 and that is the best wet tyres even for road use, but the later Thai made ones were not that good and they were heavier....

BFX73

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
heh! heh! must read in depth to their reply. Some say good is for their dry use. Wet normally they slow down so for them fits their use so it is value for money.
Aquaplaning resistance is the ability to cut through water. Of course here we cannot be too sure how good or how bad as we are not sure how much water, how heavy the rain and so on, but just compile as many feedback as possible.
Wet traction is the ability to stop in the wet. In a way they go hand in hand. Once there is aquaplaning, there is no traction at all already as the tyre is floating on the water, but let's say there is no aquaplaning so how fast can the car stop in the wet and that is wet traction which will rely more on rubber compound.

Tyre will more large grooves will be better in aquaplane resistance, and especially in V pattern. GY GSD3 is one of them, Dunlop SP9000. For Asy pattern, then Nexen N8000, GY Asy2.
However more grooves means less rubber in contact with the road and that also means less traction in the dry. That is why slick tyres track better in the dry as in F1 and for wet they use V groove pattern. For daily use an intermediate will be good, but then again depends on your priority. For me I am a wet kaki so wet traction is more important...
Too bad you are on 15 and 16, if not can try ATR2. You can consider GT Radial Champiro HPX also...
I am currently using the HPY but they come in 17" above...
owh...ok...now i understand...so this ATR just so-so in wet braking...thanks for ur feedback...owh yaa...17" for me cant use in kl...thats why im thinking to get 15" or else remain my 16"...for 16" is expensive n i feel lucky ATR is avail...so curios to try...

yupps...been into tougeing overthere as well as genting sempah...hehehe

astinabpt

Known Member
Oct 15, 2004
Central
yo peeps, I've bought a new set of Achilles ATR Sport at Aso Jln Gombak, KL..

Dec 2012 - 205/45/16 - RM180/pc - for my daily horse
Jan 2013 - 205/50/16 - RM200/pc - for wife's car

got that price after nego a bit, else Aso will quote you higher price at the 1st place.. China tire oso got, but cheaper RM5 only (RM175/pc for 205/45/16).. huhhh?? :hmmmm:

yepppp the threadwear is 400, traction is AA..

My review :
- noisy compared to my old Falken Ziex, but still acceptable
- traction is good in dry weather, even take it to the test at a track day event at Kg Gajah.. for a RM180 worth of tyre of course you dont expect the same as RM350 worth of tires but surprisingly they still deliver, with minimal spins at 1st gear..
- wet driving, just like normal tires to me.. wet roads, drive slower lah..

so far so good.. for a tire worth RM180, it exceeds my expectation.. we will just see about the the treadwear, how long will it last.. :driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeap..been using ATR for the past year...so far so good..sometimes do 100km/h over moderate bend...good roadholding still...altho dare not try on wet...aquaplaning i can say is good....altho a few weeks back, my car skidded when doing 150km/h when a blardy garbage truck suddenly overtake really motha fuuka......skid about 4 metres before my abs kick in...have to manouvre to avoid banging the car infront - a suzuki swift..sometimes garbage truck driver relli takde otak...suka suka overtake lorry...still atr can skid on a morning mildly moist road....otherwise drive safely during rain should be ok...at least ran over a puddle of water is still stable...

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I almost forgot the REMINDER : My advise is since it's price is dirt cheap, never use the tyres beyond 35k km or 2 years on daily @ non spirited ride / 7k km or 6 months on hard @ spirited ride.

We may see the tread is still about 60% after covering 35k km or so but its inner sidewall is where the danger lies. Crack on inner sidewall are common issue on aged Achilles ATR Sports.
Thing with Achilles ATR sports is the thick tread + deep tread usually fool our eyes thinking that the tyres still has more life in it. But how often do we peek underneath the car to check the inner sidewall condition? Even if we does, the inner sidewall are usually covered in dust.
Cheap @ value for money but its inner sidewall will not last long. The tyres construction differ to other well known brand.
As for me, It lasted 6 months / <4000k km travel on my other ride as I could feel the tyres flexes more and more in corners (profile 45) thus caused slight steering correction.
My tyres still fetch quite high price in Mudah but I have to remind the buyer on its advantage and disadvantage.

Btw, AA traction on 400 treadwear rating are non-existent.
Even the touge preferred discontinue RE-001 with 220 treadwear rating only rated at A traction when in real world, it beat the hell out of more expensive AA rated branded tyres.
Again, safety first.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I almost forgot the REMINDER : My advise is since it's price is dirt cheap, never use the tyres beyond 35k km or 2 years on daily @ non spirited ride / 7k km or 6 months on hard @ spirited ride.

We may see the tread is still about 60% after covering 35k km or so but its inner sidewall is where the danger lies. Crack on inner sidewall are common issue on aged Achilles ATR Sports.
Thing with Achilles ATR sports is the thick tread + deep tread usually fool our eyes thinking that the tyres still has more life in it. But how often do we peek underneath the car to check the inner sidewall condition? Even if we does, the inner sidewall are usually covered in dust.
Cheap @ value for money but its inner sidewall will not last long. The tyres construction differ to other well known brand.
As for me, It lasted 6 months / <4000k km travel on my other ride as I could feel the tyres flexes more and more in corners (profile 45) thus caused slight steering correction.
My tyres still fetch quite high price in Mudah but I have to remind the buyer on its advantage and disadvantage.

Btw, AA traction on 400 treadwear rating are non-existent.
Even the touge preferred discontinue RE-001 with 220 treadwear rating only rated at A traction when in real world, it beat the hell out of more expensive AA rated branded tyres.
Again, safety first.
Bro. Coldplay,
Funny why the inside cracks as they are away from the sun and ATR Sports are directional and for the sidewall both sides are showing on left and right. If asymmetric pattern then understand the inside sidewall always inside?:confused:

I think most are not aware what traction AA means...

Traction Grades

UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance.

The Traction Grade is determined by installing properly inflated test tires on the instrumented axle of a "skid trailer." The skid trailer is pulled behind a truck at a constant 40 mph over wet asphalt and wet concrete test surfaces. Its brakes are momentarily locked and the axle sensors measure the tire's coefficient of friction (braking g forces) as it slides. Since this test evaluates a sliding tire at a constant 40 mph, it places more emphasis on the tire's tread compound and less emphasis on its tread design.

In 1997, the UTQG Traction Grades were revised to provide a new category of AA for the highest performing tires in addition to the earlier A, B and C grades. Previously the A grade had been the highest available and was awarded to tires that offered wet coefficients of traction above 0.47 g on asphalt and 0.35 g on concrete. Today the grades and their traction coefficients are as follows:
Traction
Grades Asphalt
g-Force Concrete
g-Force
AA Above 0.54 0.41
A Above 0.47 0.35
B Above 0.38 0.26
C Less Than 0.38 0.26

Unfortunately the immediate value of this change to tire buyers will be limited. Use of the AA grade will first be seen on new tires that are introduced after the standard was enacted and will then appear later on tires that have had the required wet traction all along, but were introduced when the single A was the highest available grade.

Therefore traction A RE-001 will whack tyres of Traction AA in handling, cornering etc., probably loose out in wet straight line traction only....:biggrin:

BFX73

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
fitted with ATR sport 195/55/15 x4 = rm700

been using it since friday

so far still ok...nothing unusual...going to genting to warm up the tyre...grip(dry) i can say is good...on saturday i spiritedly driving along duke-penchala link-sprint hiway-mahameru-plus hiway to nilai...the feeling is good too and confident driving at 200kmh for a moment...

no track day just yet...will continue to gives review when i get a chance to drive this tyre on track