accessPORT review

Ben Linney

May 5, 2009
Here is accessport review from evo mag write:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/120422-cobb-access-port-thread.html

Those of you who have one, post here!

I bought one from Ben Linney last week and it arrived in a very cool iPod-esque box.
I refrained from using it until I went on Wednesday to Surrey Rolling Road in Chobham only 5 minutes from my house.

After some head scratching (and help from A.N. Other person there!), Charlie Wright, the owner of SRR (Vixpy on PH), worked out a tie down arrangement for the straps that didn't interfere with the exhaust or tyres or require the removal of any underbody panels.

We then did a run with the car as it was.

YouTube - Auto-Journals.com's Nissan R35 GT-R on the rolling road

My car has the "no extra power" (or if Litchfield's findings were correct, "slightly less than stock power") Milltek Y-pipe. Quite a healthy base number I'm sure you'll agree.

We ran with the bonnet almost completely closed and on just about the hottest day of the year so far, over 30 degrees. Because I don't have any V-Power near me, my car is almost entirely run on BP Ultimate which is 97 RON.

Charlie's dyno by the way, is known for being one of the most accurate around (Dyno Dynamics) and stock cars e.g. Porsche GT3s etc hit bang on their stated horsepower, although my supposed SAE-rated Z06 made only 498hp on this very dyno rather than the stated 505hp. I say this to pre-empt the sceptics who will say the dyno over-reads. In the US, Dyno Dynamics are known as "heartbreakers" because they always give much lower (read, "more accurate") readings than the more popular Dynojets and Mustang dynos.

So then, with some help from Mr A.N. Other, I attached the Cobb via its dongle and cable, to the OBD socket under the dash, initialised it via the on-screen prompts (which required a fair bit of turning the ignition on and off) and then downloaded the Stage 1 97 RON map (actually the first of two listed, but I've been told one is just a duplicate that shouldn't be there).

This took about 10 minutes and then Godzilla 2 was ready to roll again.

We all waited with bated breath as Charlie fired it up and went for another power run, and the result was....

Not bad for 10 minutes of tuning and the grand total of £750.
But it's not just the increase in peak power, at 4,500 rpm there is a 50hp increase and the area under the curve is vastly increased.

There is also a LOT more torque (although it does appear that Nissan have been massively sandbagging on that number too, with over 490lb.ft stock!) with the peak now being over 530lb.ft!

How do I know that the base figures haven't been completely skewed by the Y-pipe?

Well Mr A.N. Other (who wishes to remain anonymous at this moment) has a completely stock car with stock exhaust and his dynoed on the same day at 506hp which jumped to 541hp post Stage 1 remap.

So yes there was about 6hp difference, but that could just as likely be down to the fact his car has done half the mileage as my car (currently about 2800 miles).

What the Y-pipe does do though is allow earlier spooling of the turbos as they come on song a good 200rpm earlier in my car.

So how does it feel on the road? Simply much stronger, with much better revving towards the top end (where the stock car feels a bit wheezy) and massive mid-range. 6th gear now provides stonking overtaking power and the lower gears are just for showing off!

Basically I am simply staggered that such an easy to use and reasonably priced device can have such a dramatic effect. When I remember the tens of thousands of pounds I poured into Godzilla 1 to get more power... :bowdown1:

More driving impressions and of course, Stage 2, to follow![/

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm looking for this Bendix Metal King brake pad around sunway area .. Anyone know which workshop have them? :rolleyes:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience