About high cams

AhLun

Known Member
May 8, 2005
JB
I notice that many ppl using Jun or Toda cams. Why not much ppl using Brian Crower?? I found out that Brian Crower is the cheapest around those 2 brands. Any shifu can give advise becos going to upgrade to high cam.

AhLun

Known Member
May 8, 2005
JB
how about the performance? did u survey the performance of these cam?
Performance i dont know. Never try before those high cams. Still a beginner. But spec for Toda C2 and Briancrower stage3 only slightly different.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Most Japanese spec cams give normal idle when used. Even the higher levels like Toda C2 and Jun 3 can give idle like a stock car.

USDM cams like Skunk2, if level 1-2 give standard idle, if level 3 or more usually will not give smooth idle or good low end power for daily driving. Even skunk2 admits this on their website. Brian Crower also puts that information on their website.

Depends on what you want, you may want a race oriented cam, or a performance oriented cam. Most japanese cams are meant for street, so they're usually a bit milder than USDM cams.

There's no one good cam. Depends on setup and what you expect out of it. If stock standard, keep it as it is. The standard cams work quite well until you start increasing compression past 10.5-11.

I've never driven a car with a USDM cam, so I can't say performance wise if they're indeed better than Japanese cams. Seems like some SuperSixteen racers are using them succesfully, so that's at least one testament to their performance..

Last edited:

AhLun

Known Member
May 8, 2005
JB
Most Japanese spec cams give normal idle when used. Even the higher levels like Toda C2 and Jun 3 can give idle like a stock car.

USDM cams like Skunk2, if level 1-2 give standard idle, if level 3 or more usually will not give smooth idle or good low end power for daily driving. Even skunk2 admits this on their website. Brian Crower also puts that information on their website.

Depends on what you want, you may want a race oriented cam, or a performance oriented cam. Most japanese cams are meant for street, so they're usually a bit milder than USDM cams.

There's no one good cam. Depends on setup and what you expect out of it. If stock standard, keep it as it is. The standard cams work quite well until you start increasing compression past 10.5-11.

I've never driven a car with a USDM cam, so I can't say performance wise if they're indeed better than Japanese cams. Seems like some SuperSixteen racers are using them succesfully, so that's at least one testament to their performance..
Wow.. thats great. Thanks.

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
if you want change to high cam,make sure increase ur compression first...
Don't forget the valve train components. It'll say its compatible with factory valvetrain but I would 100% recommend changing to aftermarket valve springs and retainers coz we VTEC people tend to love going over the redline...:biggrin:

EDITED:
Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 1 < Toda C's in terms of top end
Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 1 > Toda C's slightly in terms of midrange

There was a dyno comparison back to back on these cams on a 1.9 liter motor in honda-tech. But they love the Toda C's performance compared to skunk2.

Question is: Which one is cheaper?

Last edited:

AhLun

Known Member
May 8, 2005
JB
Don't forget the valve train components. It'll say its compatible with factory valvetrain but I would 100% recommend changing to aftermarket valve springs and retainers coz we VTEC people tend to love going over the redline...:biggrin:

Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 2 < Toda C's in terms of top end
Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 2 > Toda C's slightly in terms of midrange

There was a dyno comparison back to back on these cams on a 1.9 liter motor in honda-tech. But they love the Toda C's performance compared to skunk2.

Question is: Which one is cheaper?
Which one cheaper??

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
I'm not sure myself. If i were in Semenanjung, i could give you that answer. Maybe other members can chime in on pricing.

coolmankyl

Sep 19, 2008
well, i'm using skunk2 pro stage 3 series. as my experience, i feel the cam is higher than jun3. the cam can be adjust up to 31x degree.. and its smoother. maybe u guy can try tht. but must be very high compression only can push the cam run... :biggrin::proud:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dudes ,
i'm new here and i need some advice..

(1)putra and gti are using 1.8 engines,but are they the same
specs? or gti more powerful?.

(2)in terms of performance(stock egine) which is the best?
their bhp? max speed? power-weight ratio?

(3)im planning to buy a second-hand either gti or putra..
a year 2000 gti price range around 45000-49000 while a
1999/2000 putra would only set me around 40000-45000..
which is more worthy?

hope to hear soon..
tq~
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience