A (would-be) date with Glory

rc_ep3

Known Member
Nov 6, 2006
Yeah too straightforward . Sorry bro S*car. My bad. But swear to God. It's the truth.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry I'm always the big fan of Honda.

Nobody comments doesn't mean they perceived the same as yours and doesn't mean they don't think the same as my thinking. In fact I was tagged by a Hondarian to this page and a bunch of them are laughing at the thread starter !!

I'm chill. I say what I perceived.

My advise to privateers is dont take it too personal on time attack event. U can never beat the big boys in terms of financial . Mod your car base on your own capability. Fight for own satisfaction. Not glory against the big boys. That's a bad benchmark to privateers. It may cost you a big hole in your pocket and at worst cost u a life in the track !!

Oh yes. I remember once there is a Megane owner proudly claimed "he beat the Singaporean A1 driver's time in Sepang" !!! This is utterly unfair claim !!!!!!! Bcoz both are driving the different set up of Meganes.
:slug:

I think the problem is you're thinking way into it and taking things too literally. "Glory" here is subjective. It is ever you set out to achieve. Whether or not it is fair to others is irrelevant. After all, it wasn't an official race event of Privateers vs Tuners or anything like that.

No one is talking about going head to head with the big boys financially either. This is a story of David vs Goliath, as it is perceived by the story teller.

There's definitely nothing you can do to stop others to perceive/interpret something however they want, be it correctly or otherwise. If they insist on believing in their own agenda, then it's their problem.

There's a fine line between different interpretation and failure in comprehension anyway...

Last edited:

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry I'm always the big fan of Honda.

Nobody comments doesn't mean they perceived the same as yours and doesn't mean they don't think the same as my thinking. In fact I was tagged by a Hondarian to this page and a bunch of them are laughing at the thread starter !!

I'm chill. I say what I perceived.

My advise to privateers is dont take it too personal on time attack event. U can never beat the big boys in terms of financial . Mod your car base on your own capability. Fight for own satisfaction. Not glory against the big boys. That's a bad benchmark to privateers. It may cost you a big hole in your pocket and at worst cost u a life in the track !!

Oh yes. I remember once there is a Megane owner proudly claimed "he beat the Singaporean A1 driver's time in Sepang" !!! This is utterly unfair claim !!!!!!! Bcoz both are driving the different set up of Meganes.
Fairly good advice there.

What I really like about TS's story is that his willingness to SHARE his experience. I really appreciate that. SHARING, for me, is the true purpose of an online forum, and the true purpose of the interweb.

A lot of people love to share their success stories, their good experience, but not their bad ones. Less people are willing to share about their MISTAKES.

A pity because we learn more from mistakes than from our success.

I want to read more and more about 1st hand experience. It's valuable to me and a lot of people and I really appreciate this very special group of people who are willing to take the time to SHARE.

May 23, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Dear TS,

I thank you for posting as this is indeed a very interesting read and like what deaconfrost said, it's good to have someone will to take the time to share for the benefit of those who were unable to attend. It sort of give the rough idea on the competitive atmosphere of the event.

I agree with what most have said in here. It's a good read really.

However, this is a public forum and you bound to get different types of responses. I would assume you have actually prepared for all sorts of reply. I think you are being rather defensive by calling someone a keyboard warrior just because he/she does not see things the same way as you. (much like you post a pic of yourself thinking that you look really cool and calls the one who commented that your hair is messy or you have a rather big acne a keyboard warrior). If you ONLY want to hear what you are expecting to hear, perhaps a gathering with your fanbois at a mamak could do you better.

I cant help but noticing you contradicting yourself over and over.

"Earlier that week, we received news that the tuning houses Wing Hin and Exotic Mods would be sending souped up Golf R's in a quest to pry the EURO crown from the French Connection. The RS250 had an extremely strong showing in 2012's final round in December, claiming First and Third place convincingly. But this year, it looked like the competition had up'ed their game, coming out in full force and fully modded machines."

"Word on the street had it that Wing Hin was targeting a 2:32 in their Stage 3 Golf R. The R.S. Collectif (RenaultSport owners club) Facebook page and Whatsapp group chats were abuzz with the "David & Goliath"-ness of the situation. 2013 would prove to be a real chance to show the big-boys that us Privateers (with our limited funds) could give them a run for their money. And besides, it's always good box office when the little man beats the big man."

which part of this wouldnt lead the reader to think you are making this an VW (tuning houses) vs the R.S . Collectif? *it may not have to sound so serious but well, at least to you, that's what you think.**

whatever it is, it is not important. most people enter an event like this with a competitive mindset. You could be competing with your previous best time, or like in your case, an imaginary enemy or target. It really is fine.

But I do want to ask you this, you sounded rather determined and you want to win this or at least retain the titles from a competitor as you labelled those 2.

1) why do you go in with a set of worn tires?(not new ones?) knowing that you really would want to win? Do you go in a shooting war with a gun without bullets?

2) TTA was announced long ago and it was not an ad hoc event, everyone has ample time to prep the cars and yourself. Why dont you make sure your cars and those damn nuts are fixed? with the fact that your wheel FLEW off like you mentioned before?

3) ask anyone, is WINNING a guaranteed thing? ask any racer. WHO will tell you there's a SURE WIN formula?

what Iszo said is correct, "All these cars are awesome cars and even more awesome are the drivers. I have huge respect for all of these fellas on the track and their professional conduct on track", I have huge respect for all who took part in this. Including you.

the part where you share out your problems and difficulties, hey, I feel sorry for you too. But like what your friend eric yong said, thats racing for you. Nothing is 100% sure win.

"All I was trying to point out was that even without the funds for Stage 3 and 420bhp under the hood, even without fresh rubber and having to recycle worn tyres, even without professional drivers behind the wheel, privateers can still come out strong and give the big-boys a run for their money."

it sounded to me that you are emphasizing their STRENGTH, to cover your WEAKNESS which you should overcome. The david-goliath, lil man vs big man talk will be more glorious should you be able to best them even with the problems you were facing.

when the privateer vs big boys topic emerged, i cant help but thinking about udner suzuki and his awesome s15. I read alot about him and i dont see him complaining about what big boys tuning houses have and what he does not. he just do his stuffs and he gave it his best. But then again, you obviously do not think like that.

whatever it is, it's getting late and you all could probably tell i am just typing whatever it's coming into the head, no construction and phrasing nothing. just plain thinking out loud mode.

i agree with most of the reply including rc-ep3. If you do not like what you read, you can call me a keyboard warrior too.

This is what i truly feel after reading all the comments.

rc_ep3

Known Member
Nov 6, 2006
Someone who can really elaborate the situation much better than me.

Bro asdgf, I don't know who the hell are you but I like your post. At least I'm not the one who perceived differently !!

May 23, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
on a side note, you are quite an ATAS privateer, got crews to change tires and even solve your jammed nuts for you. i saw alot of owners running around trying to borrow some tools to fix their troubled cars in sepang all the time. hehehe

one more thoughts, I think with more luck, you actually have an advantage compare to big teams. reason being, cars belong to teams and you definitely drive your car more than those drivers in their company cars right?

:)

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Someone who can really elaborate the situation much better than me.

Bro asdgf, I don't know who the hell are you but I like your post. At least I'm not the one who perceived differently !!
i am not in this. just giving an outsider view. but stupidcar is correct, you are straightforward. thats why TS feels the need to be defensive.
like an old saying, siapa makan chilli dia rasa pedas kan?

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Lol..this reeks..

I wonder if asdfg likes Hondas as well....

:rolleyes:

Anyway, people get defensive when they are under attack, which he obviously was. Nothing to do with chili and pedas.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's natural to be defensive of oneself regardless of situation.

If this whole scenario was spoken in front of each other where we can see body language, hear intonation and understand words more clearly, then there probably wouldn't have been so much animosity.

Guys - this is a public forum where you only see 7% of the whole story, ie-the words only. No body language, no intonation, nothing. So don't assume the feelings of the writer and don't overreact over some comments that may come across as harsh.

Some folks are never to be taken too seriously because they are all about entertainment (like me) and some folks just aren't very eloquent in the way they express themselves.

Now that we know the TS was just writing something up from his POV and it was more entertainment than competition, let's just take his word for that and leave it at that.

Also for all those who have something to say against the TS, keep your peace and know this article is for entertainment purposes, not a personal attack against your team / favorite team / favorite car / whatever. The TS is entitled to his own opinions regarding the different makes and how they stack up and so are you. Your opinion is your own and no one has the right to force feed another the opinion.

Anymore slinging of nasties around here will result in strict moderation. For fan blowers like stupidcar - don't make me kick your ass when I see you June 1st. :thefinger: Shuttup or I will force you to stay quiet.

Asdfg : I don't know who you are and nor do I care, but creating an super new ID just to respond to this thread tells me either you're in cahoots with rp3 or someone informed you about this thread and you're just looking for a fistfight. Please refrain from grouping together like school children just so that each party can have a war of words here online.

Lastly : Everyone here are adults so please act accordingly. Discuss, disgree/agree and move on.

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
when the privateer vs big boys topic emerged, i cant help but thinking about udner suzuki and his awesome s15. I read alot about him and i dont see him complaining about what big boys tuning houses have and what he does not. he just do his stuffs and he gave it his best. But then again, you obviously do not think like that.
Under Suzuki is an amateur driver alright, but not so sure now about him having 'privateer-level' resources.

He does complain in his blog.

rc_ep3

Known Member
Nov 6, 2006
It's natural to be defensive of oneself regardless of situation.

So do I.

ari7474tme

Known Member
Mar 26, 2005
Hey everyone...

Firstly, to the TS, that is some creative writing. I'm a big fan of storytelling and i really like the way you convey your message. An interesting read.

Secondly.. My name is Ari and i currently drive a Honda. I will openly say that my enemy is Zu 535 and i am not a fanboi of any make but a real huge fan of racing and competition. Hahahhaa.. Speaking of make, before i bought my honda, i test drove a dozen Golfs and went to their TT as well. The Megane came out a bit later and i have 4-5 buddies using it and i am really jealous of their cars. Three pedals with european class. Awesome :)

What i actually want to say in my comment here is... Almost everyone who enters TTA or any other competition have some sort of ego and the desire to win. Regardless of where you are in the food chain, the desire remains and it is always good to have healthy competition. Some peeps say it out loud, some keep it inside but if you're in track, means you want to compete. And when you compete, you want to win.

It is similar in forums as well.. Some people comment out loud, some people comment diplomatically. Again.. Good to see some healthy discussion. I am against personal attacks except those against Zu535... Hahahahahhaa...

So guys... The European Crown is there for the taking. Lets keep the healthy competition and hopefully one day, i could get a taxi ride in one of your french or german monsters.

Cheers :)

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hey everyone...

Firstly, to the TS, that is some creative writing. I'm a big fan of storytelling and i really like the way you convey your message. An interesting read.

Secondly.. My name is Ari and i currently drive a Honda. I will openly say that my enemy is Zu 535 and i am not a fanboi of any make but a real huge fan of racing and competition. Hahahhaa.. Speaking of make, before i bought my honda, i test drove a dozen Golfs and went to their TT as well. The Megane came out a bit later and i have 4-5 buddies using it and i am really jealous of their cars. Three pedals with european class. Awesome :)

What i actually want to say in my comment here is... Almost everyone who enters TTA or any other competition have some sort of ego and the desire to win. Regardless of where you are in the food chain, the desire remains and it is always good to have healthy competition. Some peeps say it out loud, some keep it inside but if you're in track, means you want to compete. And when you compete, you want to win.

It is similar in forums as well.. Some people comment out loud, some people comment diplomatically. Again.. Good to see some healthy discussion. I am against personal attacks except those against Zu535... Hahahahahhaa...

So guys... The European Crown is there for the taking. Lets keep the healthy competition and hopefully one day, i could get a taxi ride in one of your french or german monsters.

I like this thread because it doesn't involve bashing.
Civilised people here. :proud:

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hey everyone...

Ehehe....Megane RS vs FD Type R? Should be an interesting one!

One made you go for the FD instead of VW? 3 pedals?