A question about Nissan Leaf's rumored price.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I've heard that the electric car Nissan Leaf is going to be launched over here soon with the estimated/rumored price of around RM168k. So, the question is, do you think it is feasible to buy this electric car at such a price?

I think not. Well, there are some people who have been arguing with me over the internet about my opinion though. I was thinking like, if the motive is for saving the cost of petrol bills, why not just buy a cheaper car like Prius, Insight or Prius C for example and you still have a few thousand(around 20k plus for Prius and over 50k for Prius C or Insight) RM left for petrol bills.

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
buy a viva for RM48k and save another Rm120k. It can cover until your 4th generation's fuel bills. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
buy a viva for RM48k and save another Rm120k. It can cover until your 4th generation's fuel bills. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yeah but the problem is some people might need a proper boot space and interior space and Viva doesn't fit into that criteria. But if the purpose of buying a hybrid or electric car is just for saving the of petrol bill, then you are right.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Look at I-Miev's price then you roughly know the price of electric cars...

Mitsubishi I-Miev at RM136K and cruising can only travel 150KM per charge...130KM/H max speed and 196nm of torque...:banghead:
Really a car meant for rich ppl to buy for Maid to go market buy some vege and meat...:frown:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Mitsubishi I-Miev at RM136K and cruising can only travel 150KM per charge...130KM/H max speed and 196nm of torque...:banghead:
Really a car meant for rich ppl to buy for Maid to go market buy some vege and meat...:frown:
Exactly what I wanted to say.
But selling electric car in Malaysia is 80% not logical,
because, 80% of our energy is made by coal. -.-

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Exactly what I wanted to say.
But selling electric car in Malaysia is 80% not logical,
because, 80% of our energy is made by coal. -.-
People already afraid of electricity bills...yet charging up a car overnight...:hmmmm:
Wonder how much power pump into the car...this i not sure as well...

Don't think is cheap to maintain....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The maintenance would be in a different way with internal combustion engine. Perhaps all those electric motors and stuffs inside the engine needed a different kind of maintenance.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I think its perfectly understandable why EVs are marketed at such high prices.

These are not aimed at those who are looking to reduce their monthly bills. Given the relatively new technology used in manufacturing EVs, the Leaf and I-Mievs are nothing more than a showcase for Nissan and Mitsubishi. It's a toe-in-water model, if you will.

It's the same case with first generation of mobile phones. Big, cumbersome and very, very expensive. Given time, provided the concept is sound, the technology will mature and it gets cheaper and more accessible to the general public. The same applies here IMO.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

because some people prefer it up the ass.

not me. and i don't discriminate. by all means go ahead.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The only electric car I'll ever want is that Lemans racer that Chris Harris drove on Drive//. Great mileage and 4000nm of torque. :biggrin:

driftkingII

2,000 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Bandar Utama
Visit site

Therefore this girl is maid la :biggrin:

I can see myself owning a LEAF - YouTube

Hmmm, bad marketing Nissan... LEAF is not for normal people due to the price.. 2nd if they are targeting bloggers, they are targeting the rich ones who does gossip n catfights (bcoz our news talks about it all day)

anyway abu affording it, are we ready for the parts? especially the BATTERY? i heard battery price is expensive as a car !!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hybrids and electric cars are owned by rich ppl, in malaysia case..
Just like the beetle...

the hybrids/electric cars hardly benefitted the average joes in malaysia....even though the fuel consumption is much lower...

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

The maintenance would be in a different way with internal combustion engine. Perhaps all those electric motors and stuffs inside the engine needed a different kind of maintenance.
this means you couldnt send the electric cars to Ah Kow worksop under the cherry tree for maintenace anymore. The only place is the authorised service center, which most likely gonna slaughter the car owner kaw-kaw...

So, in malaysia, no doubt electric cars has noble cause and benefits.....but only works for rich ppl, and judging from our flip flop govt.....a "yes" in the policy can be "no" tomorrow....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear sifus,

Does anybody know where to get a nos purge kit... but idont want to use nitrous, use CO2 instead.. or other DIY ways?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience