A non-mid engine owner's question...

11000RPM

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2004
Johor Bahru
Visit site
Dear sifoos,

I tot of getting a mr2 but i afraid that it's difficult to find parts for it.
Can i know, is it difficult to buy the engine mounts, absorbers, and all other wear n tear parts?
Pls help sifoos...

:regular_smile:

Lastly, are those parts expensive?
:shades_smile:

goober

500 RPM
Jul 20, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
11000RPM said:
Dear sifoos,

I tot of getting a mr2 but i afraid that it's difficult to find parts for it.
Can i know, is it difficult to buy the engine mounts, absorbers, and all other wear n tear parts?
Pls help sifoos...

:regular_smile:

Lastly, are those parts expensive?
:shades_smile:

Bro,

Parts are easy to find. Used parts are available in most chop shops whereas new parts can be sourced from Wing Hin in KL.

Prices are reasonable considering the SW20 is not > 10 years old.

All the best in your MR2 hunt! :shades_smile:

7500RPM

Known Member
Aug 14, 2005
KL
i am looking for a MR2 too, but there is a few question i need to ask

1. How much is the Road tax for 2.0 liter car?
2. HOw much you insured your car?
3. Is a MR2 over 11 years worth buying?.
4. Does anyone here want to sell their MR2?
5. What do you mean by if its not > 10 years old?.
6. There are three type, 2.0 liter, 2.0 turbo, if there a significant difference?. How different?
7. Is there any cosmetic different between turbo and NA?.
8. Is it advisable to trade in my kelisa 2002 to a MR2?.

I hope you guys can give me some tips and pointers.

goober

500 RPM
Jul 20, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
7500RPM said:
i am looking for a MR2 too, but there is a few question i need to ask

3. Is a MR2 over 11 years worth buying?.
6. There are three type, 2.0 liter, 2.0 turbo, if there a significant difference?. How different?

I hope you guys can give me some tips and pointers.

Good to hear that you're keen on a 2. Most of us buy one, then another one, then another one... he he. No kidding. Theres one member with 3 MR2's already.

As for your questions. Let me try to help you out.

RM 394.80. He he. Had mine renewed recently.
You can cover for about RM 40-50K. With 55% NCD, your Premium should be about RM 800 only.3. Is a MR2 over 11 years worth buying?.
Make sure the chassis is still intact. In order words, no major accidents. Small dents and slight knocks are negligible with the amount of halfcuts around these days. The engine would normally need a rebuild by now, since most MR2's would have done more than 150,000km's on their original engine. A simple rebuild would set you back by about RM 5k.
Yes, look for "Midship". Believe there's 2 MR2's for sale currently.
Sorry, type. The MR2 is > 10 years, that's why its cheap
The NA version is usually a G-Limited available in Auto and Manual. The Turbo version comes in either a GT (targa roof) or a GTS (hardtop) available only in Manual transmissions. Some of the Turbo's come with factory LSD; which is a good thing if you wanna doughnut with the 2.
The only difference is the Rear Engine Cover. The Turbo is lightweight fibre (with raised vents), whereas the NA version is made of aluminimium (I think).
I proposed buying an MR2 from a private owner rather than a dealer. You'll get to learn more about the history of the car from it's owner rather than a dealer. I know there's one Red MR2 in Klang which have been posted up for sale for about a year now. No buyer.

Last edited:

7500RPM

Known Member
Aug 14, 2005
KL
goober said:
Good to hear that you're keen on a 2. Most of us buy one, then another one, then another one... he he. No kidding. Theres one member with 3 MR2's already.

As for your questions. Let me try to help you out.

RM 394.80. He he. Had mine renewed recently.
You can cover for about RM 40-50K. With 55% NCD, your Premium should be about RM 800 only.3. Is a MR2 over 11 years worth buying?.
Make sure the chassis is still intact. In order words, no major accidents. Small dents and slight knocks are negligible with the amount of halfcuts around these days. The engine would normally need a rebuild by now, since most MR2's would have done more than 150,000km's on their original engine. A simple rebuild would set you back by about RM 5k.
Yes, look for "Midship". Believe there's 2 MR2's for sale currently.
Sorry, type. The MR2 is > 10 years, that's why its cheap
The NA version is usually a G-Limited available in Auto and Manual. The Turbo version comes in either a GT (targa roof) or a GTS (hardtop) available only in Manual transmissions. Some of the Turbo's come with factory LSD; which is a good thing if you wanna doughnut with the 2.
The only difference is the Rear Engine Cover. The Turbo is lightweight fibre (with raised vents), whereas the NA version is made of aluminimium (I think).
I proposed buying an MR2 from a private owner rather than a dealer. You'll get to learn more about the history of the car from it's owner rather than a dealer. I know there's one Red MR2 in Klang which have been posted up for sale for about a year now. No buyer.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope this answers are of help to other MR2 buyers too.

There are a few things which i am not so clear.

1. RM5k for a simple rebuild. your definition of rebuild is changing the whole engine? or just changing the wear and tear?.
2. Where is "Midship" ?

yes, i saw the car in klang, Red MR2 with GT-wing. selling at RM4X,XXX. I suppose you are right that if i buy direct from end user i will get a better price. I do wonder how come that car is still not sold yet until today. You selling your car? haha just kidding.

Thanks for the answers goober, i really appreciate it and your answers are really easy to understand. :shcokedcamo:

7500RPM

Known Member
Aug 14, 2005
KL
Bro 11000RPM, goober did answer your question

"Parts are easy to find. Used parts are available in most chop shops whereas new parts can be sourced from Wing Hin in KL."

7500RPM

Known Member
Aug 14, 2005
KL
Hi MK84,

Nice car. May i ask :

A) . Why do you want to sell?
B) . If above RM26K, please refer to question 2.1 below.
C) . If below RM25k, Kindly answer the following question.

1.2. V6 Engine, as little as i know, i thought MR2 use 3SGTE?.
1.3. Is this car legal on the road?.
1.4. Is your V6 Engine originally from the MR2?.
1.5. V6, parts will be difficult to get then i assume, since its rare?.
1.6. How much do you want to sell?.
1.7. What year is your car and when was it registered?
1.8. How many people have owned this car so far?
1.9. Where do you usually drive this car (to see if this car is usually being used in rough road condition).
1.10. If RM25K below, where can i see your car?.

2.1 Can i exchange my kelisa with you? (haha)
2.2 Can i ask your permission to use your car picture as my wallpaper?(haha)

Thanks.

7500RPM

Known Member
Aug 14, 2005
KL
aiyahhh.. dun tell me so fast mah... i steam steam type the msg out, pray hard to buddha, allah, jesus that MK8 will sell below 25K you suay suay say he sell above.. potong steam mann.. haha.

if so then i guess i just use it for wallpaper then. :P

camlok

Aug 30, 2006
MK84, I thought the one for sale was the white one which is not road legal?

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Ya I got 2 units for sale... I joining Midship. :P

7500rpm...I pm u the details later.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi..

I'm using 4G93 engine N/A into my Proton Wira.. (Using around 2 years)
the problem is when i drive sometimes suddenly the RPM down to zero & engine die..

all (TB, ECU & etc) / everything i change included the Full Wiring but it's still happen..also my RSM & SAFC i temporary terminated but also same..
1 more thing, if engine die i must open the hood . let it cold 1st if not i can't start the engine..

seriously i need help from u all to give me the Tips or what ever to settle my...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience