6.5" component set without amp

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Hi Guys,

I plan to install 6.5 inch component set and support buy a Pionner HU without amp.
Is the HU capable to drive the component set?
Meanwhile, when select the speaker and component set, what sensitive range is the best to match without amp support?

Please educate.. Thx in advance.:wavey:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi Guys,

I plan to install 6.5 inch component set and support buy a Pionner HU without amp.
Meanwhile, when select the speaker and component set, what sensitive range is the best to match without amp support?

I'm currently running my Myvi with a 2-way component set + active underseat woofer. No problem la.

Component set look for something with high sensitivity, 90dB and above. Welcome to meet me up to have a listen to my Myvi if interested.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I put in pioneer component set with pioneer HU last year. Was also debating for a long time whether worth to put or not without amp. I proceeded anyways. Well, it was damn worth it. Very huge improvement in sound quality. No need for amp because i do not blast music. It's is powerful and clear enough for me. Of course with amp it would be better. Just that for my usage, there is no need.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I put in pioneer component set with pioneer HU last year. Was also debating for a long time whether worth to put or not without amp. I proceeded anyways. Well, it was damn worth it. Very huge improvement in sound quality. No need for amp because i do not blast music. It's is powerful and clear enough for me. Of course with amp it would be better. Just that for my usage, there is no need.
Speakers and components no need amp to drive as nowadays HU quite powerful already.
In my Hyundai, front component and rear speakers driven by HU and have one small under seat active sub.
In my VR front components and rear 6x9 driven by HU and one small amp driving a small sub hanging in the boot.....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Speakers and components no need amp to drive as nowadays HU quite powerful already.
In my Hyundai, front component and rear speakers driven by HU and have one small under seat active sub.
In my VR front components and rear 6x9 driven by HU and one small amp driving a small sub hanging in the boot.....:driver:
Stock HUs where got powerful. Most claim 2.4V and actual is most of the time less than 2V. Amps run minimally 12V man.

And I'd like to see your HU power my Dynoaudio components. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Stock HUs where got powerful. Most claim 2.4V and actual is most of the time less than 2V. Amps run minimally 12V man.

And I'd like to see your HU power my Dynoaudio components. :biggrin:
Your one pro stuff. What I mean is normal component speakers, HU can drive already is good enough for layman like me....:driver:

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
That's great !!
Is time for me to hunt the high sensitive component set :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

I'm currently running my Myvi with a 2-way component set + active underseat woofer. No problem la.

Component set look for something with high sensitivity, 90dB and above. Welcome to meet me up to have a listen to my Myvi if interested.
Btw, I'm stay in Penang ....

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
come down KL audit la like that. :biggrin:

Look for high sensitivity speakers bro
I saw Pioneer TS-A1605-C is damn good... can produce out as low as 35Hz. Also, with 90dB sensitivity.

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
Izso,

would you mind to share the brand of your component speakers..

I am presently using 2 sets of Mohawk comp set that is 10 years old which still keeps my ears happy:)

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso,

would you mind to share the brand of your component speakers..

I am presently using 2 sets of Mohawk comp set that is 10 years old which still keeps my ears happy:)
The amp-less setup I have is using Rainbows. I forgot the model but they're the entry level ones. Sounds pretty impressive with the stock player. My other car using Dynaudios but currently not installed. Revamping the system.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
When i read this thread onlyni recalled that my bro changed to component set for the front and a 3 way speaker at the rear driven by a kenwood HU.

Sound great to me as not audio kaki and i do think its enough.
better than stock as it offee clarity and depth.

not that stock blm hu is useless but the kenwood offer lots of parameter adjustment and it support usb.mine is old blm unlike newer fl model with usb support.
on the parameter setup,i dont understand most of it..hahaha

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Guys,

Can as long as you buy component sets that are not too high powered ones. Just get those normal ones which are <50watts (coz max power HU can produce are only <50watts) mostly brands Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine or the likes and have at least 90db sensitivity rating (so that it can be loud enough with the small power from HU).

I'm also only using Kenwood 6.5 component powered by a Kenwood HU, enough already for me now. Long time ago when I was more interested to spend on car audio, I'd surely drive the speakers with at least a power amp with 50-100w rms per channel rating to make them really kick a lot more but nowadays don't feel the need anymore, even though I still listen to the same loud music and similar level of loudness! :biggrin: