4e-fte or cb70? Ntg. technical, just price comparisons :P

teztozterone

Known Member
May 18, 2006
Regards to all!

Hi, I wanna find out,

which engine is more worth my money to be hooked into my g100 charade aura?

4e-fte from a toyota starlet (ep82/91) or a cb70 from a daihatsu gtti?

Can I get a 4e for below or at rm5k? Including installation and endorsement?

since the mountings has to be shifted a bit. Road-worthiness is most important

for me, since I really hate to pay summonses.. hehehe

HOWEVER, if any of you wanna share info on these engines performances,

please feel free to do so as well =)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,

Thanks all,
Tezt.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i saw uve asked sum questions regarding dia issue from another thread, if it worries u dat much den i wud strongly suggest u opt for a CB70, hassle free.

Speed Demon

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Selangor
www.freewebs.com
Tez, if you just do a price comparison, the 4E is a much cheaper option just based on the price of the halfcuts alone! But unfortunately, you need to consider other things as well:

The GTti halfcut will cost around RM3500 - RM4xxx.

The 4E will cost as low as RM1900 (depending on the condition).

Dougster just completed his CB23 to 4E conversion. Issues (which I know of, there might be more) which his conversion faced was this:

1. Driveshaft needed to be modified because the lengths are different.

2. One mounting needed to be changed (location-wise)

3. The 4E fuel tank can't be used because the chassis & shape is different. Because Dougster's original fuel tank is for a carb engine, he either has to fit an external fuel pump or look for a GTti or HC-E (1.3 EFI Charade) fuel tank. Dougster chose an external fuel pump. But this caused another problem: The 4E's fuel gauge reads the fuel level wrongly because the tank is for a 1.0 whereas the 4E is a 1.3. So now Dougster has to fit an external fuel gauge.

4. The dashboard does not fit neatly into the chassis, again because of width & chassis differences.

5. The 4E comes with disc brakes which are larger than the CB23 front and of course the CB23 rear is drums. So you must be using 14" rims & tires or larger.

Other issues which Dougster faced which is non-related to the halfcut choice but which can happen when you use a halfcut:

* Spark plug cables have to be replaced
* Aircond compressor KO

Apologies to Dougster for revealing all his problems. :embaressed_smile:

teztozterone

Known Member
May 18, 2006
bro Dougster,

You're using 4e on aura is it? How's maintainance? btw, did you get it endorsed

by jpj? If yes, please explain the process and the price for the runner to get it

done. Thanks

bro xtremeleo,

Yes, cb70 is of course less hassle, but for long term, 4e may be more worthwhile

as parts are aplently compared to the rare cb70 parts. Are you using a cb70 or a

4e? Please share whether is it easy to get parts if you're using a cb70.

Thanks bro.

Cheers,
Tezt.

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com
4e

Yes..im using 4e on aura...
and thanks merv for spilling all my beans..haahhaa...no worries....

Basically tezt....it depends on whether or not lady luck is smiling on you...when it comes to the 4e conversion....haha.... i think lady luck was kind of frowning at my conversion....
But just bear in mind that the toyota engine is newer and yes, the parts are easier to find....
But then again, you have people like mervin(speed demon) who is running a Gtti and its extraordinarily well kept and running superbly....
SO i think its on a case to case basis....

For me? i've had a number of problems with wiring, etc...but getting the engine into the chassis isnt much of a problem....most reputable workshops can mod the mountings for you....

Maintenance? fuel consumption is good....but for now im running with no exhaust piping so it does contribute to the consumption (due to the backpressure issues). Since my conversion, i've never had to do anything to the engine....only one problem was when a wire to the spark plug cables thing was worn....but thats all....apart from that its all with my suspension, absorbers, brakes etc..all wear and tear parts...

Registration? well.... i havent registered mine...mainly because my insurance doesnt cover my car so there wouldnt be much of a reason for my car the be checked by them..... and also, they dont check ur engine when u renew ur road tax..... ONLY THING...if u get caught by JPJ roadblocks...ur screwed..... thats why my car is the ugliest thing u'll ever see in a charade forum...hahaha....

There's a member here who drives a original starlet "deongster"..he's got some contacts for JPJ runners....maybe u could give him a ring?

BTW...extremeleo is 4e (jamil right?) if it is who i think it is, then yea, he's using a very fast 4e....

So TEzt..think hard and think smart... i advise u to put aside 5-6k for the whole conversion jsut to be comfortable and to cover any unforseen expenditure that may come along the way....

just my 2 cents :) best of luck... we can meet up one day if u want.... haha..

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com
Speed Demon said:
Tez, if you just do a price comparison, the 4E is a much cheaper option just based on the price of the halfcuts alone! But unfortunately, you need to consider other things as well:

The GTti halfcut will cost around RM3500 - RM4xxx.

The 4E will cost as low as RM1900 (depending on the condition).

Dougster just completed his CB23 to 4E conversion. Issues (which I know of, there might be more) which his conversion faced was this:

1. Driveshaft needed to be modified because the lengths are different.

2. One mounting needed to be changed (location-wise)

3. The 4E fuel tank can't be used because the chassis & shape is different. Because Dougster's original fuel tank is for a carb engine, he either has to fit an external fuel pump or look for a GTti or HC-E (1.3 EFI Charade) fuel tank. Dougster chose an external fuel pump. But this caused another problem: The 4E's fuel gauge reads the fuel level wrongly because the tank is for a 1.0 whereas the 4E is a 1.3. So now Dougster has to fit an external fuel gauge.

4. The dashboard does not fit neatly into the chassis, again because of width & chassis differences.

5. The 4E comes with disc brakes which are larger than the CB23 front and of course the CB23 rear is drums. So you must be using 14" rims & tires or larger.

Other issues which Dougster faced which is non-related to the halfcut choice but which can happen when you use a halfcut:

* Spark plug cables have to be replaced
* Aircond compressor KO

Apologies to Dougster for revealing all his problems. :embaressed_smile:
wha..u remember all my problems??? hahahaha.... eh..i didnt need to replace the plug cables la.... their fine....it was a wire to the cables or something like dat....

teztozterone

Known Member
May 18, 2006
Bro Speed Demon,

..................*speechless* thanks for the whole lotta info! respect, respect...

Extremely helpful bro.

Three Cheers for you bro!
Tezt.

teztozterone

Known Member
May 18, 2006
Bro Dougster,

So, how much did it all come about for you? The total of 4e engine + installation?

Deongster? Hmm.. will check him out, thanks. Yeah, I guess you're right, different

halfcut will have different success or failure stories..hahaha.. see my luck I guess..

Btw, how is fuel consumption, have any figures to quote? Can, can.. where you

wanna meet? I wanna take a look at 4e in aura too :)

Thanks bro.

Bro n3sta_n_roses

Oh, extremeleo is using a 4e? Is his jpj approved ?

Btw, what're you riding bro? Cheers

Cheers all,
Tezt.

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com

teztozterone said:
Bro Dougster,

So, how much did it all come about for you? The total of 4e engine + installation?

Deongster? Hmm.. will check him out, thanks. Yeah, I guess you're right, different

halfcut will have different success or failure stories..hahaha.. see my luck I guess..

Btw, how is fuel consumption, have any figures to quote? Can, can.. where you

wanna meet? I wanna take a look at 4e in aura too :)

Thanks bro.

Bro n3sta_n_roses

Oh, extremeleo is using a 4e? Is his jpj approved ?

Btw, what're you riding bro? Cheers

Cheers all,
Tezt.
Right now..im running 10 bucks for about 60-70 km at normal driving.... but of course when u hear the turbo spooling its hard to resist just giving the throttle pedal a slight... "tap"...hahaha.... i cant give u an accurate figure coz ive got no fuel gauge yet../.all running on the milage meter as well as "as and when i feel like pumping fuel" basis...hahaha
So far? ive spent my whole intial budget of 5000 for making the car move..i bought my half cut for 2200...hard to find a full half cut for less than 2k now....i've had to spend a bit more on a turbo timer, bigger rims/tyres, and soon ill have to replace the wear and tear parts.... :cry_smile:
Oh yea...when u do buy ur rims...make sure the hole in the middle of the rim is big enough to accomodate the charade rear drum brakes ...coz the middle part of the drum is bigger than normal.... i made a mistake, i bought 14" rim besi's with tyres for about 250 bucks but the rear ones dont fit well...so yea, make sure u find proper rims to fit the back...

AND ALSO...if u decide on using the front starlet brakes.... make sure u have 14"s...the stock 13"s wont accomodate the brake calipers.... and even with 14"s, i added wheel spacers just to give it that little bit mroe space.... but if u can get a whole set of rims with the proper offset, it shud be fine....

We can meet...perhaps on weekday nights? coz im busy on weekends..hahaha.... in sunway is alright for me? just give me a beep....
btw...if u have msn..add [email protected]

Just to let u know.... Speed demon was the person who got me poisoned to get a turbo...hahaha...

Last edited:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
oi oi, my engine std jer ler..

regarding douglas's 4e, the drive shaft neednt to be customised, his main mounting wasnt touched. about the fuel tank, iam using my previous tank and its working great, nothing has gone wrong wit my fuel meter, so far. maybe i shud bring u to my mech ler douglas to sort the wiring problems out. i havent had any problem wit my engine so far.. d day i took u r halfcut, it was flawless and aircond was a breeze. make sum time to meet me up in selayang, and i'll introduce u to my mech to get ur problem solved

teztozterone

Known Member
May 18, 2006
Bro xtremeleo,

Wow, seems that you've been using 4e for quite awhile, yeah, as dougster asked,

are you using a 1.3 fuel tank or a cb23's? Strange it seems, some say have to

mod. the mounting, but you say don't have too, and the driveshaft as well...

Doesn't the 4e drive shaft need to be shortened to fit into g100 body?

What is your mechanic's shop name? Seems like they know what they're doing..

How much was your conversion bro? jpj approved?

Bro Dougster,

Subang a lil far for me bro, hehe, if you are dropping by at KL, pm me few days in

advance pls, coz I live in Ampang, so KL would be in between for us. Thanks bro.

Btw, why are you using rear drums? Why not change to rear detomaso discs? And also, if I'm using deto

rims pcd100 and offset 45, do you think the 4e front calipers would fit? Thanks.

Cheers,
Tezt.

Last edited:

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com

Btw,,,jamil.....they did send my driveshaft to the machine shop.....and they did have to weld in the new mountings...but their in almost the same location as the mountings on the CB23 block...

Tezt...Kl? we'd have to find a day then..hahaha...if u can, why dont meet us in sunway (i know its far), a few of us are meeting up on saturday morning near pyramid....just fyi....

About me using rear drums...lets just say the finances are a little tight now...hahaha...got to do things one by one...but i'll be sure to get the discs settled when the time is right.... I've got to take care of a host of other things first before i go there... :)

The deto rims are 14"...i dont forsee a problem fitting the rims in.... YOU MAY have to get spacers for the front to accomodate the calipers...MAY....spacers are cheap anyway....so its not much of an issue...but apart from that, ur 14"s should be more than fine....

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my dad gave me his 318 but its engine can't be used at all..
i'm searching 4 da new engine rite now..
can anyone suggest me da most suited engine n da cost for da engine..:nurse:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience