4 channel amp bridge mode inquiry

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
Hi all,

is it possible to use a 4 channel amp and bridge the amp to become 2 channels? if yes, how will the RCA cable configuration be? i cannot figure how the RCA will connect to the amplifier.

from the head-unit, we'll have Left & Right output using one end of the RCA cable, then the other end to the amplifier will have only 2 heads for 4 inputs. :hmmmm:

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
Bro,
You can use the Y-cable.
Some amps can still output to all 4 channel even when you only connect 2 inputs. If this is the case, connect it to your amp's Front RCA input.

Some amps also have a switch between 4 or 2 channel.

What is your amp model? Do you have the user manual? maybe that'll help :)

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
just read your amplifier manual. It will tell you how to wire the RCA inputs to have stereo bridged setup. Some amplifiers may have different way of configuring the input. For example, a rockford fosgate and kenwood amplifiers have different input wiring compared to each other for bridged setup.

if you have only 1-pair of RCA pre-out, first check if your amplifier has a switch that allows you to configure 1-pair input to have 4-channel output. Some amps have this built-in switch.
If your amp does not have it then use Y-splitter cable. It looks like this (see under RCA male to two RCA male)
RCA Plugs and Adapters

Luthaine

Aug 13, 2007
just read your amplifier manual. It will tell you how to wire the RCA inputs to have stereo bridged setup. Some amplifiers may have different way of configuring the input. For example, a rockford fosgate and kenwood amplifiers have different input wiring compared to each other for bridged setup.

if you have only 1-pair of RCA pre-out, first check if your amplifier has a switch that allows you to configure 1-pair input to have 4-channel output. Some amps have this built-in switch.
If your amp does not have it then use Y-splitter cable. It looks like this (see under RCA male to two RCA male)
RCA Plugs and Adapters
If we do that, then we won't have stereo output anymore won't we

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
You still have Stereo output. You split the R-channel into two and plug them in to the amp R-channel input. The same for the L-channel.

What you will not get is the Fader of Front & Rear since your HU has only 1-pair RCA pre-out.

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
This are common prob with HU c/w 1 pair RCA output. When using Y-spliter or Y cable, U must sacrifice either Stereo (as kippo) or Fader coz Ur HU balanced can be manipulate/change to Fader when Left run Front speaker & Right run Rear Speaker or other way.

Otherwise U need to spend some money on ParaQ (Accs shop call it Pre-amp) if U not ready to sacrifice it loorr.

To me I will spend some money to upgrade the HU rather than ParaQ. I did know why so many ppl using good HU but still using ParaQ in their car. HU oeldi got 3 pair pre-out (Fr, Rr & Sub) some more the HU itself worth >10x than ParaQ........ This shown alot "Sotong Accs Shop" out there waiting next victim....................

I share my exp when I bought Macrom 48.13 electronic crossover last year for our frend here.. The shop owner told me.. I must buy ParaQ, if not e/cross 48.13 can't work. The ParaQ brand Audiomatic cost about RM70-00, the e/cross oledi cost RM750 (if I not mistaken laa, forgot oledi) I said next time laaa.. dont have money right now.. After paid, I go to see him again & said.. dont ever bluf ppl, this 48.13 it was true 3ways e/over & c/w 1 pair input.. My HU also got Sub output & Why I must/need the ParaQ? He said blaa blaaa blaaa.. common laaa try to Sotongggg ... U can imagine laaa RM70 vs RM750...

Last edited:

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
thanks for all the info guys. my HU has 3 pair of pre-out. so basically my problem is not so much on the HU output, but more on the input to the amp.

so i think i can either use a Y-cable like what Kippo mentioned, or either check to see if my amplifier has a switch like what cacin mentioned.

once again, thanks for the info guys!

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
mengz,
can you explain again your intention? it seems that there is some confusion here.

If i understand correctly, you want to connect your Front & Rear RCA pre-out from your HU, yep?
And your 4-channel amplifier only accepts 1 pair of RCA input, yep?

but i have never seen a 4-channel amp that only have a pair of RCA input.
IF that is the case then you have no choice but to use your Front RCA pre-out from your HU only.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
ohh....no no Kippo. let me explain my intention.

currently my HU has 3 pairs of RCA output. Front, Rear and Sub. and i have 2 amps. a 4-channel amp and a 2-channel amp. so right now, the Front & Rear pre out from my HU is plugged into my 4-channel amp which has 2 pairs of RCA input to power my front component set and my rear 2 way coaxial. and Sub pre out is plugged into my 2-channel amp to power my woofers.

what i intend to do is bridge the 4-channel amp into a 2-channel amp so that i have more power for my front components only. then i will add another 2 channel amp for my rear 2-way coaxial.

so from my understanding, i will remove the rear pre out RCA from my 4-channel amp and plug it into my new 2-channel amp. but on my 4-channel amp, how shud the RCA be wired? i have only 1 pair of RCA cable from the HU's Front pre-out, but 2 pairs of RCA input on my 4-channel amp. so shud i get 2 Y-cables. use 1 Y-cable to join with the Front left RCA cable and plug it into 1 pair of RCA input on my 4-channel amp, then use the 2nd Y-cable to join with the Front right RCA cable and plug it into the other pair of RCA input on my 4-channel amp.

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
What's the brand/model of your 4ch amp?
I believe what you plan to do can be done. the new 2-ch amp is what brand/model?
Normally, SQ sifu will recommend that you just connect the rear co-ax to the HU directly. They are there to provide rear fill, so, shouldn't need to much power.

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
so from my understanding, i will remove the rear pre out RCA from my 4-channel amp and plug it into my new 2-channel amp. but on my 4-channel amp, how shud the RCA be wired? i have only 1 pair of RCA cable from the HU's Front pre-out, but 2 pairs of RCA input on my 4-channel amp. so shud i get 2 Y-cables. use 1 Y-cable to join with the Front left RCA cable and plug it into 1 pair of RCA input on my 4-channel amp, then use the 2nd Y-cable to join with the Front right RCA cable and plug it into the other pair of RCA input on my 4-channel amp.
Check ur amp.. the amp should have Input selector/switch.. commonly this selector provide 3 type of input Mono, Stereo & 1+2/3+4.. which U can select either 1...

Mono => Just required 1 input either Left or Right from HU to make it work. Amp input is diff coz in mono mode only Left input can be use (as I know laa this is std appication to all amp).. In your situation just set amp Input at Mono...

HU => Front Left RCA out => Amp CH1 or Front Left Input
HU => Front Right RCA out => Amp CH3 or Rear Left Input

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
ohh....no no Kippo. let me explain my intention.

currently my HU has 3 pairs of RCA output. Front, Rear and Sub. and i have 2 amps. a 4-channel amp and a 2-channel amp. so right now, the Front & Rear pre out from my HU is plugged into my 4-channel amp which has 2 pairs of RCA input to power my front component set and my rear 2 way coaxial. and Sub pre out is plugged into my 2-channel amp to power my woofers.

what i intend to do is bridge the 4-channel amp into a 2-channel amp so that i have more power for my front components only. then i will add another 2 channel amp for my rear 2-way coaxial.

yup........

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
ok guys...i just went through my amplifier's user manual. manage to download it from the internet.

it does not have any switch for stereo or mono. so in the user manual, it shows that i should use 2 Y cables to split the 2 RCA cable into 4 cables.

thanks for all the help guys!

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
Glad that your questions are finally answered :).
Normally the answer is where we don't look at (user manuals). :)

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
my user manual lost edi....couldn't find it.......but i manage to download a pdf format from the internet ler...heheh

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

URgent !!!! every member in ZTH please help , if u saw this white toyota alphard with WSQ 3334 please call 0111-6128628 (voltex)

SPEC
1.Aftermarket sportrim
2.without sun roof
3.interior brownish colour
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience