1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What's the 1JZ VVTI ECU type then ? To be honest i just want to fine tune the AFR after i use electronic boost controller to boost to 1 bar. I am keeping it at 1 bar to make 350 hp (hopefully) and learn how to control such power until i am used to it. As of now, my max HP car i ever driven is 200 hp, my Volvo S60. For 200hp its pretty easy to get used to, so 350 hp is gonna take some time.

If you have formulas to 350hp without massive mods please do share ?
Erm.. My car has mild cams, a large single turbo, upgraded top feed injectors and stock everything else. With the boost set to 1 bar I'm hitting 360hp on a mainline dyno (heart breaker dyno) so for you to hit 350, personally I think you should just change turbos. That'll do loads and it's not significant a mod to be classified under "massive"

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Stock cars plonking in a piggyback don't expect any gains la. This is the problem with newbie users. They expect spending 3-4k on a piggyback will return 3-4k returns in sense of power. Doesn't work that way! BMWs come out factory tuned pretty damn well. Even Racechip which has PNP for some BMW models don't claim their usual 30% gains. Car Throttles E46 touring wagon diesel track car just recently installed a Racechip plugin and it improved the cars throttle response and gave it more torque but that's only because it's a diesel so when emissions is no longer a concern it's easier to squeeze out power (to some extent). If you're bringing your car to RS Dynotune I'd recommend you go the Unichip route. Anyway, power is gained by ramming in more fuel and more air, changing the electronics doesn't result in significant increases of power.

Yes Thomas @ GTAuto handles, installs, tunes Unichip as well. I think he's stopped Emanage and focuses more on Unichip and standalones. A friend of mine had Unichip installed into his stock Myvi 1.5 manual and it improved his torque slightly and gave him launch control. Other than that nothing else.
Most of those users are on the base E46 or E90. The 6 cyl guys only managed to gain 10hp and 9nm of torque with stock intake and exhaust. By default, N/A BMW engines are one of the best i have ever experienced, aside Honda VTEC (not i-VTEC, can't feel the massive switch of character). I think the downside might be the 6HP gearbox, too much power loss despite have 215hp on paper. I drove plenty of E90 325i before settling down to a Volvo S60, i can tell 325i is not as spirited as i had expected. To be frank, quite disappointing, the older E46 2.5 has more go than it

Nice, let me talk to Thomas of Unichipping the 1JZ, i wanted nothing but 350hp. On stock turbo, is it too much risk to push for 1 bar of boost? What's the ideal pressure for CT15b to survive ?

Thanks,
Ken

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
Most of those users are on the base E46 or E90. The 6 cyl guys only managed to gain 10hp and 9nm of torque with stock intake and exhaust. By default, N/A BMW engines are one of the best i have ever experienced, aside Honda VTEC (not i-VTEC, can't feel the massive switch of character). I think the downside might be the 6HP gearbox, too much power loss despite have 215hp on paper. I drove plenty of E90 325i before settling down to a Volvo S60, i can tell 325i is not as spirited as i had expected. To be frank, quite disappointing, the older E46 2.5 has more go than it

Nice, let me talk to Thomas of Unichipping the 1JZ, i wanted nothing but 350hp. On stock turbo, is it too much risk to push for 1 bar of boost? What's the ideal pressure for CT15b to survive ?

Thanks,
Ken
many turbo can boost 1 bar, it is not only the matter of whether the turbo can take it or not. i am paranoia, just to name a few variables goes thru my head such as your engine internal, piston, conrods, crank, boost control, turbo oil feeding, engine oil pump need to uprate@shim or can it sustain the pressure required (especially after install oil cooler) or not@boost spike, crank case pressure, etc etc etc. making sure the piston ring gap is healthy, you dont want binding, crank journal condition, whether the crank has been polished before, crank bearing clearance, compression ratio (volumetric test), metal gasket condition, fuel solution, fuel pump, fuel line, then good engine oil, the engine's engine oil consumption rate, whether it is burning off the engine oil, or leaking off gasket, or where is the oil missing.

making sure the cooling is sufficient for high horsepower, radiator, water thermostat, oil cooler, oil cooler thermostat, atf cooler (i believe you mentioned you have them), what's the best size to run, fan solution, shrouding.

making sure AN fitting are proper (i've blown an engine 3 hours after it was built, because i ter-bent the AN fitting when im installing myself).

add on: not to mention to sustain a healthy 1bar boost, gotto check on your wastegate, blow off valve, FPR( make sure is 1:1 boost reference).

Reactions: sanekit

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Thanks,
Ken
I dunno la.. anyone with any stock car adding a piggy-back and expecting massive gains I personally feel is delusional. If you mod the air-intake and exhaust, then for sure you're changing the formula where Power = Air + fuel, increase air sure get more power so that's a different story.

I am not a E90 or any newer BMW fanboy. I had a chance to sit in a e46 M3 v8 manual recently and my god it's good. I don't know about the newer M3s but that v8 monster is something else!

As for 350hp on stock parts - I don't know man. Stock 1JZ output is 280hp give or take and that's assuming it's in tip top condition. If you mod top feed injectors and turbo I'm confident you'll hit 350, but with stock everything - I honestly doubt it. 1bar is pretty common if you ask me. Stock iirc is 0.5-0.7bar so I don't see any issue with 1bar.

Personally I think the 1JZ and 2JZ lower half have pretty strong internals. It's the VVTI heads that give problems, rumour has it that the non-VVTI 1JZ engines are stronger overall and can take more punishment vs the VVTI ones. The CT15b is a pretty zippy turbo so you'll probably have plenty of low end power and good torque. Why do you want 350 so badly anyway?

Kinda like what limaukanker said - consider supporting mods like oil cooler and gearbox cooler for your car. I don't know about the stock blow-off/wastegate because I don't have one but surely the diaphragm in such an old engine would need servicing or fixing. Maybe an aftermarket blow-off would be better. And yes - the 1JZ/2JZ is a bloody hot engine. Spend money to upgrade your cooling system. I am waiting to upgrade to a SPAL fan, maybe you wanna group buy with me when the time comes.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
:banana:
I dunno la.. anyone with any stock car adding a piggy-back and expecting massive gains I personally feel is delusional. If you mod the air-intake and exhaust, then for sure you're changing the formula where Power = Air + fuel, increase air sure get more power so that's a different story.

I am not a E90 or any newer BMW fanboy. I had a chance to sit in a e46 M3 v8 manual recently and my god it's good. I don't know about the newer M3s but that v8 monster is something else!

As for 350hp on stock parts - I don't know man. Stock 1JZ output is 280hp give or take and that's assuming it's in tip top condition. If you mod top feed injectors and turbo I'm confident you'll hit 350, but with stock everything - I honestly doubt it. 1bar is pretty common if you ask me. Stock iirc is 0.5-0.7bar so I don't see any issue with 1bar.

Personally I think the 1JZ and 2JZ lower half have pretty strong internals. It's the VVTI heads that give problems, rumour has it that the non-VVTI 1JZ engines are stronger overall and can take more punishment vs the VVTI ones. The CT15b is a pretty zippy turbo so you'll probably have plenty of low end power and good torque. Why do you want 350 so badly anyway?

Kinda like what limaukanker said - consider supporting mods like oil cooler and gearbox cooler for your car. I don't know about the stock blow-off/wastegate because I don't have one but surely the diaphragm in such an old engine would need servicing or fixing. Maybe an aftermarket blow-off would be better. And yes - the 1JZ/2JZ is a bloody hot engine. Spend money to upgrade your cooling system. I am waiting to upgrade to a SPAL fan, maybe you wanna group buy with me when the time comes.
As far as i seen on youtube, most 1j owners swore on making more than 300hp but upgrading intake, exhaust, boost pressure increase and a good aftermarket tune. I am targeting century sprint in 5 seconds and quarter mile within 14 seconds. 350hp is a little bit over stock M3 E46 S54 crank power, 343hp, so to answer your question, i want this 1jz conversion to at least beat a stock M3 :banana:. Most of the mods will be spent on aftermarket BOV (HKS SSQV), cone air filter, 3' exhaust with 1 mid muffler only, aftermarket boost controller to boost pressure up to 1 bar. For cooling wise, we just installed a Hayden ATF cooler, engine oil cooler is under decisive and compulsory fan upgrade. Finally, Unichip Q to fine tune AFR, launch control and gearbox shift point fine tuning and torque converter lock up, stock gearbox is lazy asf. This should give a real M3 run for its money.

How much it cost for a SPAL fan?

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Good luck with your 350hp ambition then dude. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you have money :biggrin:

SPALs go for 1300 or more for a 16" sized fan.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Good luck with your 350hp ambition then dude. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you have money :biggrin:

SPALs go for 1300 or more for a 16" sized fan.
Thats the magic words in car modifications, horsepower ain't cheap. I will see how much i can pump it out with IHE modifications, remapped ECU, and drive it for 6 months. Then slowly increase boost to 0.9 bar, test 1 bar ...

The FAN price is steep, your monster will need this lar. Stock standard 1JZ probably is too much. I might enjoy the extra cold air cond.

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
many turbo can boost 1 bar, it is not only the matter of whether the turbo can take it or not. i am paranoia, just to name a few variables goes thru my head such as your engine internal, piston, conrods, crank, boost control, turbo oil feeding, engine oil pump need to uprate@shim or can it sustain the pressure required (especially after install oil cooler) or not@boost spike, crank case pressure, etc etc etc. making sure the piston ring gap is healthy, you dont want binding, crank journal condition, whether the crank has been polished before, crank bearing clearance, compression ratio (volumetric test), metal gasket condition, fuel solution, fuel pump, fuel line, then good engine oil, the engine's engine oil consumption rate, whether it is burning off the engine oil, or leaking off gasket, or where is the oil missing.

making sure the cooling is sufficient for high horsepower, radiator, water thermostat, oil cooler, oil cooler thermostat, atf cooler (i believe you mentioned you have them), what's the best size to run, fan solution, shrouding.

making sure AN fitting are proper (i've blown an engine 3 hours after it was built, because i ter-bent the AN fitting when im installing myself).

add on: not to mention to sustain a healthy 1bar boost, gotto check on your wastegate, blow off valve, FPR( make sure is 1:1 boost reference).
The tuner i am working with saying 1 bar is not an issue for the CT15B, but he recommended me to get used to the car first before throw in big mods. My skills may not good enough to handle the new found engine power, which i agreed too. Our first so called modifications are custom exhaust pipes, custom intercooler pipes, custom air intake pipes, and TM Works TSD. From there, i will practice hooning with the car.

Now the wiring part is estimated to be completed within 3 weeks, that's hella of waiting time !

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
The tuner i am working with saying 1 bar is not an issue for the CT15B, but he recommended me to get used to the car first before throw in big mods. My skills may not good enough to handle the new found engine power, which i agreed too. Our first so called modifications are custom exhaust pipes, custom intercooler pipes, custom air intake pipes, and TM Works TSD. From there, i will practice hooning with the car.

Now the wiring part is estimated to be completed within 3 weeks, that's hella of waiting time !

Thanks,
Ken
yup, that what i just said, it is not the matter of whether the turbo can boost 1 bar or not, because many turbo can boost more than that. yea, anyway that's a good starting point man.

3 weeks? ask Izso and he will tell you what's a hell of a waiting time. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::marchmellow:hahahahahha

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
yup, that what i just said, it is not the matter of whether the turbo can boost 1 bar or not, because many turbo can boost more than that. yea, anyway that's a good starting point man.

3 weeks? ask Izso and he will tell you what's a hell of a waiting time. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::marchmellow:hahahahahha
3 weeks on wiring part, the previous 2 months on getting the installation of the engine, almost clocking 3 months for completion. Can't wait to send the car to full respray and get it on the road !

Izso's one is a fast ride, of course he will need to spend more time waiting for it to get prepared. Furthermore i think he has OCD on his car too.

Thanks,
Ken

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
screw it... get toyota hilux propshaft and mod the tail end....

it can launch all day at the strips... :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Can u please share info with me..

Is it ok if i want to change just the Spring without changing the absober.

I thought i want to change my standard spring to the Eibach Pro-Kit but still using the original absober.

what is your advise?

thank you!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience