1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
how fast ur heart rate ? lol...
Fast enough to know that I'm going too fast and to instantly slow down with pedal off.

Ya weyh I thought it was Auto Haha. Old man liao usually find auto car ma :laugh:

Screen record the screen during the run la then can see 0-100 times one shot also hehe

I get to skip the queue because I gave you taxi ride last time :laugh::burnout:
That was one helluva taxi ride the last time. Extremely insane launch and flat shifting! And yeah, old man drive auto car. I'm having thoughts about getting a fuel efficient daily now. I now understand the need for a "daily". As for the recording, I'll need to figure out how to do this once I figure out whether I wanna use a Windows tablet or an Android fablet as my dash meter. Then I'll setup the recording.

He put heart and soul into this already, if auto, he wouldn't bother too much.....hhahahhahah
Heart, soul and a lot of time and effort. So many times I've wanted to give up.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

huh.. 8JJ with 245/40 is stupid la. Like I said the old tyre and rim combo for the rear was 245/40 and it was barely holding on in terms of sidewall. Minimum need 9JJ and I haven't seen any that I like or can afford. Slowly la. Your Livina using 225/40/17 is insanely huge.. maybe I'm just used to smaller tyres.

Not stupid la! 245/40 minimum width is 8jj and many cars use such setup. It's maximizing the tires size for the rim ma, to maximize grip. Remember the 8jj is on the INSIDE of the rims lip where the tire mounts and not the whole width. If you measure from real outer width, it will add another inch! So the exterior width of 8jj is actually about equal to 9 inch width! Now 9 inch = 22.9cm which is only 1.6cm narrower from a 245 tire width, so that 1.6cm extra is somewhat an extra protection of the rims too. If you use 8.5jj then it's very aligned/straight with 245 tires which is good also, so best fitment for 245 is 8-8.5jj. If use 9jj then the 245 tires will start to curve in/stretching, looking narrower than the rims and relying only on the tire rim protector (if existing) to protect the rims. I know all these because my front is 8jj while rear is 9jj and it got 245/40 for all when I bought them. The front looks more square fitment which IMHO looks nice while the rears look a bit stretching which I don't really like. Honestly if 9jj rims then better to use 255 or 265. BMW 5 series MSport uses even 275 with 9jj rims!

The Livina now grips very well, very difficult to make it squeal or provoke the ABS in the dry! :lol: It's good for the safety of my wife & kids. Ideally though it should've used just 16' with 205/55/16 tires but I found the AVS rims used with still very good tires at bargain basement price! :lol:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not stupid la! 245/40 minimum width is 8jj and many cars use such setup. It's maximizing the tires size for the rim ma, to maximize grip. Remember the 8jj is on the INSIDE of the rims lip where the tire mounts and not the whole width. If you measure from real outer width, it will add another inch! So the exterior width of 8jj is actually about equal to 9 inch width! Now 9 inch = 22.9cm which is only 1.6cm narrower from a 245 tire width, so that 1.6cm extra is somewhat an extra protection of the rims too. If you use 8.5jj then it's very aligned/straight with 245 tires which is good also, so best fitment for 245 is 8-8.5jj. If use 9jj then the 245 tires will start to curve in/stretching, looking narrower than the rims and relying only on the tire rim protector (if existing) to protect the rims. I know all these because my front is 8jj while rear is 9jj and it got 245/40 for all when I bought them. The front looks more square fitment which IMHO looks nice while the rears look a bit stretching which I don't really like. Honestly if 9jj rims then better to use 255 or 265. BMW 5 series MSport uses even 275 with 9jj rims!

The Livina now grips very well, very difficult to make it squeal or provoke the ABS in the dry! :lol: It's good for the safety of my wife & kids. Ideally though it should've used just 16' with 205/55/16 tires but I found the AVS rims used with still very good tires at bargain basement price! :lol:
8.5JJ is perfect for me if I'm perfectly honest. Problem is I don't know where to find this size with this weird PCD. PCD120 is not common.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
8.5JJ is perfect for me if I'm perfectly honest. Problem is I don't know where to find this size with this weird PCD. PCD120 is not common.

Use this 18':
https://www.mudah.my/FURTHER+REDUCED+18+AEZ+XYLO+Rims+BMW+100+German-47387338.htm
Nice staggered 18x8/9 size, just use 245/40/18 tires all around, or 225/45/18. & 245/40/18

This one also looks nice, like Alpina::
https://www.mudah.my/Original+BMW+3+Series+E36+E46+18inch+Italy+Rim-57699658.htm
Staggered 18x8/8.5, also can use 245/40/18 all around, or 225/45/18. & 245/40/18

If still want just 17 then maybe this:
https://www.mudah.my/BMW+E46+SMG+Original+Msport+Rim+17inch-64707109.htm
It's staggered 17x7.5/8.5 just like my old Prodrive so can fit 225/50/17 & 245/45/17.

Speaking about my Prodrive, I just sold it off this morning and the buyer wants to put them on an E36! He said he's tired of looking for lightweight 17' with the right offset and style for BMW coz cannot find any! So he just bought mine and will change his PCD to 5x114.3. :lol:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Original rims should have but expensive and not much design like aftermarket.....lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Use this 18':

https://www.mudah.my/BMW+E46+SMG+Original+Msport+Rim+17inch-64707109.htm
It's staggered 17x7.5/8.5 just like my old Prodrive so can fit 225/50/17 & 245/45/17.

Speaking about my Prodrive, I just sold it off this morning and the buyer wants to put them on an E36! He said he's tired of looking for lightweight 17' with the right offset and style for BMW coz cannot find any! So he just bought mine and will change his PCD to 5x114.3. :lol:
no 18" for me la. I seriously don't want to fuss on the cost of 18" tyres. And that staggered stock rim is ideal but the design isn't preferable.

I'm actually doing the same thing as your buyer. Going to source for PCD changing spacer and go for 114.3 as well. But this'll take some time. How much did you sell your Prodrive for?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
no 18" for me la. I seriously don't want to fuss on the cost of 18" tyres. And that staggered stock rim is ideal but the design isn't preferable.

I'm actually doing the same thing as your buyer. Going to source for PCD changing spacer and go for 114.3 as well. But this'll take some time. How much did you sell your Prodrive for?
Selling cheap, rm2k only.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
235/40/18 is too small in terms of overall diameter for F30 so the fender gap is bigger/uglier, and the tire is too thin profile, will be harsh ride. 245/10/18 is minimum for car this size.

Waa so much power yet only use 225/45/17?? 8jj can still use 245/40 actually, just like my fronts now, will look just nicely square on the rim. To fit 255/265, can use 9jj enough already. Seriously 225 is way too small for your car, especially with that much power. My wife's Livina is using the same tire size as yours also. :lol:
Diameter for F30? Not really, on M-Sport with the 10mm drop looks perfect. And normal F30 also fine.
Stock F30 M Sport is 225/45 R18 + 255/40 R18

You mean 245/50 R18?
8jj can use 245/40 but its NOT ideal. the ideal offset assuming the tire is Pilot Sport 4, actual width is 8.3", the right rim to use is 8.5jj

Read this http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

1. True. I am square at the moment. Might go 235 next round but tyre brand choices is extremely limited.
2. Actually I don't know. Right now I am having high water temps in jams which is my main issue at the moment. If I re-route my oil cooler to the side it'll have it's own cooling route/duct but nothing when in a jam so not sure if I need one. I'm researching this at the moment.
3. I don't want to go 18 la. Come on man - on a daily that's overkill. Until I'm truly confident the car can take the punishment I don't think I'll ever want to bring this car on track. And 18" tyres are by no means cheap! (The models and brands I want aren't. Don't tell me there are cheaper options at the expense of grip and safety).
1. Maybe look at a size that is more common. It is better, safer and CHEAPER to choose a more common size
2. Hehehe, water temp high in jams has nothing to do with oil temperature. Something wrong with the radiator cooling system. Come out yum cha i tell you story of water temp overheat for my sampan... the solution you will laugh until tears come out.
3. I giving R18 examples saja, not asking you to go 18. But showing you the width is overkill. I think 17" is the new 15".

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yeah 17 is the new 15 nowadays... soooo many choice

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
="ixeo, post: 1064712678, member: 14889"]Diameter for F30? Not really, on M-Sport with the 10mm drop looks perfect. And normal F30 also fine.
Stock F30 M Sport is 225/45 R18 + 255/40 R18

You mean 245/50 R18?
8jj can use 245/40 but its NOT ideal. the ideal offset assuming the tire is Pilot Sport 4, actual width is 8.3", the right rim to use is 8.5jj

Read this http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx
225/45 or 255/40 have about 10.1-10.2cm sidewall height. 235/40 has only 9.4cm sidewall so there's a drop about 0.7-0.8cm. Yes the car will be lowered but the fender gaps also will increase by the same, making it look uglier IMHO coz noticeably bigger fender gaps yet thinner tires.

Good article, but then in practice not as easy to do coz you need to find out the exact tread width of the tire candidates that you want for some different sizes too. He's also referring so much to Tirerack.com data which in the US and might not have the same tire models that we have here, or is all Tirerack data correct too? Now based on Tirerack.com data though, my F1A2 size 245/40/18 only has tread width of 7"??? If like that even my 8jj rims is already too wide, not to mention 8.5jj as you suggested! :lol: If it's a typo which I suspect should be 8" then my 8jj rims is also still ideal too. Maybe that's why my fitment still looks fine.

And then there's this exception though that he mentioned:
" it’s possible that running a tire a lot wider than the wheel width would improve the overall performance if it were on a heavy car, with a less than ideal alignment that is very heavy for the wheel width. In this case, the increased VOLUME/TTSA of the tire, and tread width, would in fact improve the cornering ability of the car."

"... increasing the TTSA will make the tires last even longer, and even allow for a tire choice that is less of a compromise for daily driving. "

So the question is when can you use tires wider than the rims? How heavy your car needs to be for this case? For normal guys like us who just drive normally on the street (with occasional speeding that is!) that becomes too complicated I think.

His tip about selecting tires size first then rims to match the tires is easier to apply though.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
That’s the thing, PROPERLY modifying your car isn’t easy. As for your tires maybe measure it before mounting in the future then you’ll know for sure.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
That’s the thing, PROPERLY modifying your car isn’t easy. As for your tires maybe measure it before mounting in the future then you’ll know for sure.
Of course not easy but you need to weigh in the benefit, if it's really worth it for your purpose. If follow like that, you need to do proper research or really want to spend the time to measure before selecting a tire which IMHO just not worth the hassle for street drivers. If you just measure before you mount after purchase, then no point coz you bought the tires already.

See for my example, I got 8/9jj rims, so potentially I can use 225/45, 235/45, 245/40, 255/40, 265/40. I also got PS4, V12E2, S1E2, F1A3, CSC5, PZero PZ4, RE003, maybe FK510 in the future for considerations to buy. If really want to follow that theory, I need to survey tire shops that carry those models then measure tires in all those sizes to find the true proper match for my rims width. Measuring using the tape itself might already inconsistent maybe up to +/-2mm. Then how much quicker or better will my car handle if I got the true ideal size compared to just rough guessing it? I can bet not much if any. Furthermore, if say I just choose the tires based on the proper width matching and for example RE003 comes out the best match, should I really go for it instead of say PS4?? Surely not coz the tire technology of PS4 is much better than RE003 so in the end the not ideal width of PS4 will still be the faster choice than RE003. For me I'd rather focus more on the tire model. The author of that article also agrees with this as he stated a narrower size tire can perform better than wider one when the narrower tire is the better model. That should be sufficient for daily drivers with just normal driving skill like mine. So if want to make it simpler, I'd just still use 245/40/18 on all 4 even though it might not be ideal for the 8jj as well as the 9jj, but they all still within acceptable recommended tolerance and makes my life easier to choose and can rotate tires too, while handling still much better than stock. :)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Of course not easy but you need to weigh in the benefit, if it's really worth it for your purpose. If follow like that, you need to do proper research or really want to spend the time to measure before selecting a tire which IMHO just not worth the hassle for street drivers. If you just measure before you mount after purchase, then no point coz you bought the tires already.

See for my example, I got 8/9jj rims, so potentially I can use 225/45, 235/45, 245/40, 255/40, 265/40. I also got PS4, V12E2, S1E2, F1A3, CSC5, PZero PZ4, RE003, maybe FK510 in the future for considerations to buy. If really want to follow that theory, I need to survey tire shops that carry those models then measure tires in all those sizes to find the true proper match for my rims width. Measuring using the tape itself might already inconsistent maybe up to +/-2mm. Then how much quicker or better will my car handle if I got the true ideal size compared to just rough guessing it? I can bet not much if any. Furthermore, if say I just choose the tires based on the proper width matching and for example RE003 comes out the best match, should I really go for it instead of say PS4?? Surely not coz the tire technology of PS4 is much better than RE003 so in the end the not ideal width of PS4 will still be the faster choice than RE003. For me I'd rather focus more on the tire model. The author of that article also agrees with this as he stated a narrower size tire can perform better than wider one when the narrower tire is the better model. That should be sufficient for daily drivers with just normal driving skill like mine. So if want to make it simpler, I'd just still use 245/40/18 on all 4 even though it might not be ideal for the 8jj as well as the 9jj, but they all still within acceptable recommended tolerance and makes my life easier to choose and can rotate tires too, while handling still much better than stock. :)
I'm happy you read the article, at least someone learned something ;)

You are absolutely right in your assessment. But all I am doing is arming you guys with knowledge, you would need to decide what's the best compromise for you. We're all running street cars not track cars, so you can't go to that extreme.

Are the benefits real? I am sure it is because science. Are the benefits meaningful? Well when you're not fighting for tenths of a second on a track I guess, no.

Sure, all the sizes you listed will fit. But whether its the best performing size, well, depends on the actual width on the actual tire. But as above, the benefits may not be significant.

I think the order of importance is
1. The tire itself, a perfect fitting ling long is still shit compared to ps4
2. The rim, fake taiwan shit is fake taiwan shit. I don't even want to say much about this. Choose the width that runs the size YOU want.
3. The ideal size to match between the tire and rim.

So using myself as an example. My target tire size is 245/40 R18 square. My tire choice in Malaysia is PS4, followed by PS4, and then its PS4. No PS4? maybe GY F1A3. If I'm poor, Kumho PS91 or Hankook V12 evo2

Rim size is 8.5jj
According to Tirerack measurement
245/40 R18 PS4 is 8.3" tread width, of course Malaysia may be different as these are German PS4, not sure where MY PS4 are made.
245/40 R18 F1A3 is 8.2" tread width, I know Malaysia ones are imported from Germany as well, so same as Tirerack
245/40 R18 V12e2 is 8.3" tread width, tire rack ones are made in Korea, so are the ones in Malaysia
245/40 R18 PS91 is 7.4" tread width, so this tire con9lan7firm will be shit sizing compared to the above 2 tires BUT

235/40 R18 PS91 is 8.3" tread width, so this tire would be ideal for my target rim size as well. Again, all PS91 is made in kimchiland, so the sizing should be same with tire rack. But at this size, it is SMALLER diameter than 245/40 R18 above, at 25.4" versus 25.7". So again, its a compromise.

So yes, quite interesting to KNOW that the tire width stamped on the tire is actually meaningless. When a 235 can be wider than a 245. But as you can see, out of 4 tires I shortlisted, 3 are actually ideal for the 8.5jj size.

OF COURSE, the tread width of the tire is subject to change base on the manufactured batch and place of manufacture. If let's say the 245/40 R18 PS4 is 7.3", lari by 1", I'd probably then just choose the Hankook v12e2, save some money in my pocket and call it a day.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

That Petronas and Mercedes-Benz Motorsport are in bed together is not news but now the pairing have gone deeper under the sheets by extending their partnership from Formula One to the German Touring Car Championship (DTM).

With this, the oil and gas giant will now have a presence in DTM as their logo will be featured on the bodywork, racing...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience