100RON Compare to 97RON

sakakida

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
KL
Hi Guys,

I have been asking about this question about 100 RON petrol for quite sometimes and no one actually can answer me. Why the question? hahaha because i have this Mine's ECU install in my car that apprently running on 100 RON setting and our petrol in Malaysia is 97 RON (cheap fuel at expensive price).

RON stand for Research Octane Numbers and the higher the RON is, the better the petrol is. So back to the comparison and why it is damaging our car when your car is tune for 100 RON and you are using 97 RON petrol.

The octane rating of petrol tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane petrol) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

See it so simple to explain the different but it is a major damage to your car. Here is more about Octane and the mixture of the fuel which allow more compression.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

During WWI, it was discovered that you can add a chemical called tetraethyl lead (TEL) to gasoline and significantly improve its octane rating above the octane/heptane combination. Cheaper grades of gasoline could be made usable by adding TEL. This led to the widespread use of "ethyl" or "leaded" gasoline. Unfortunately, the side effects of adding lead to gasoline are:

Lead clogs a catalytic converter and renders it inoperable within minutes.
The Earth became covered in a thin layer of lead, and lead is toxic to many living things (including humans).
When lead was banned, gasoline got more expensive because refineries could not boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades any more. Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline (known as AvGas), and octane ratings of 100 or more are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines. In the case of AvGas, 100 is the gasoline's performance rating, not the percentage of actual octane in the gas. The addition of TEL boosts the compression level of the gasoline -- it doesn't add more octane.

eterna22

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
auckland, NZ
Visit site
sakakida ,

what car are you driving ? As for the mines ECU, it is normal in japan as they can get 100ron off the petrol station.

The increase in octane in petrol allows us to run more aggresive ignition timing and higher boost. so i guess if you're not running crazy amount of boost , it is ok.

sakakida

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
KL
i'm having a ER34, it was a good thing to have that ecu if it is tune with 97RON.

What i can't run crazy boosting.... oh maaannnn!

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
use outlaw octane booster to boost your fuel octane

sakakida

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
KL
octane booster does not boost the octane, it just delay your combustion only. octane only can be crack out from the refinery.

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
Sakakida

Just be happy with your current ECU, once you mod aftermarket turbo & cams then u be thankful that ur running rich on higher boost to safeguard the engine.. Spend money on go fast mods then dyno to check your efficiency of the A/F ratio. 97 Ron is ok bro.

sakakida

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
KL
hhhmmmm aftermarket turbo, interesting hahahah but need a lot of money leh but that will be my next few years project.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wanna mod smthing.. Wat to mod?
Lowering spring which 1 good for waja?
APM 2 still got? I need 2 for my waja..

Me noob in exhaust system.. 4-2-1 izzit extract from engine? 4 pipes become 2 pipes then become 1? Air filter? Wat brand wor? Mushroom type?

Anyone know where to get/mod wide body? Like LanEvo the front wheel upper body part & back wheel upper body part.. I wan wide :P

Thanks for view and reply.. :lol:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience